Your favorite primal veggies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite primal veggies?

Right now mine are roasted brussel sprouts and roasted broccoli. I could eat my weight in both of these I'm looking for some other ideas though so chime in with your favorites!

Do you just roast them in the oven? I've never tried roasting broccoli...I love it steamed with butter. What do you put on your brussel sprouts, I've tried them roasted and just find them rather bland.

Comment

Roasted cauliflower/squash
      Cabbage cooked with bacon
      Any frozen veg stir-fried in bacon fat
      Fried onions/garlic, dump in some canned tomatoes, serve over fish/chicken
      Pumpkin soup
      Mushrooms in heavy cream sauces or in omelets
      Asparagus and fiddlehead ferns in season, with butter
      Much more...

Comment

try stir-fried broccoli - important thing here is to boild the broccoli first for a few minutes and then let it dry thoroughly - I do the boiling when I am cooking other foods, then let the broccoli stand on its head until dry. To stir fry just throw in some garlic, ginger, chilli into the oil first and when fragrant add the broccoli for a short while. It should have a bite and not be soggy and overcooked.

I just love what they sell here in UK as winter greens - green leafy veg with stems, not spinach. I cut up the stems first and fry them for 1 minute or 2 before adding the leaves. Very nice.

I think I'll have some now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Flexi View Post
          try stir-fried broccoli - important thing here is to boild the broccoli first for a few minutes and then let it dry thoroughly
          Easier method: Use a covered pan/wok. Dump your (still raw chopped up) broccoli in the hot oil/garlic & seasonings mixture. Stir-fry a few minutes, then dump 1/4 to 1/2 cup (depends on amount of broc) water or broth in the pan. Cover quickly and let it steam a few minutes more. Works for all veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffspakes View Post
            Do you just roast them in the oven? I've never tried roasting broccoli...I love it steamed with butter. What do you put on your brussel sprouts, I've tried them roasted and just find them rather bland.
            Try steaming the brussel sprouts, then slapping them in a pan with some baconfat and serving with some home made bacon peices. *drool*

When roasting them in the oven, toss with olive oil or coconut oil (YUM!) and spices/herbs...they get all caramelized and om nom nommy like.
            SW: 235
            CW:220
            Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
            Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
            Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
            Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Stir fried broccolini, sauteed mushroms, Sauteed onions mmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffspakes View Post
                I'll all for roasting veggies in the oven since I have a 3 year old and it just makes dinner that much easier. Plus they come out so delicious with hardly any work!

For the broccoli, I follow Ina Garten's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

I have used the parmesan and everyone gobbles it up. I don't do the pinenuts or basil. I also do it just with olive oil and salt and pepper and then add a bit of lemon juice and/or zest at the end.

For the brussel sprouts, I do something similar but I always cut mine in half. They just get more tender that way. Lots of olive oil, salt, pepper and roast in oven for about 30-40 minutes. We did them for Thanksgiving and they were the only dish that we had no leftover of!

Comment

+1 on roasted brussels sprouts... I did this last night, was fabulous... quarter them and toss in olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper. Roast until they start to carmelize. yum.

Also love:
                  carrots & parsnips cooked in loads of butter with herbs
                  mashed rutabaga with cream & lots of butter (or rutamousse as my family calls it)
                  grilled zucchini & yellow squash, or asparagus
                  Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Zuke chips! Slice zucchini thin, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper (and we usually add parm cheese too). Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
                    Roasted broccoli.
                    Spagetti squash
                    Kale chips
                    spinach salads
                    mushrooms sauteed in butter or bacon fat
                    pumpkin soup
                    cabbage mixed up in a variety of slaws - flavor changes depending on what we're eating with it
                    Marinated cucumers (sliced, marinated in white wine vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil with red onion too). Cool & yummy in the summer w/ grilled meats.

Comment

-steamed broccoli with butter and ginger
                      -steamed and mashed cauliflower with sauteed onions, garlic, scallions, salt and pepper
                      -steamed collard greens with olive oil and/or butter
                      -pureed spaghetti squash with cinnamon
                      -pesto spaghetti squash

Comment

roasted brussel sprouts (with bacon or butter) - I only halve the sprouts...Quartered and theyr'e too small or fall apart.
                        kale/collards cooked with bacon and onion
                        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Kale is my new love! It bulks out a soup so much that no one notices lack of noodles/potato, and tastes so GREAT!

I also could eat asparagus every day. I'm waiting for it to come back into season! lol

Leafy greens are my favorite though. BAS!!!

Cucumber too! Crunch crunch crunch!
                          The more I see the less I know for sure.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                            Try steaming the brussel sprouts, then slapping them in a pan with some baconfat and serving with some home made bacon peices. *drool*

When roasting them in the oven, toss with olive oil or coconut oil (YUM!) and spices/herbs...they get all caramelized and om nom nommy like.
                            I have never had a brussel sprout in my life cause I wasn't sure how to cook them. These both sound so delicious that I have to go buy some this week and try them out. Thanks!

Comment

mmmm sauteed mushrooms and onions.. and green peppers!

Comment

Working...
                              X