Bison Jump/mass kill and Native American Nutrition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison Jump/mass kill and Native American Nutrition

I just wrapped up a great book on "Head Smashed In" a mass bison kill on the great grass plains of Alberta, BC. It can be found in pdf form for free here:

http://www.aupress.ca/books/120137/e...Smashed_In.pdf

Very good look into the process of harvesting and processing a mass bison kill. Fun to look at with a "paleo" frame of mind as well. The lengths humans have been going to for thousands of years to get animal fat..... well, it all makes sense. A vivid picture is painted of the crushing of bones, boiling in skins to get every last bit of fat out of them. Fat was (is) life for us humans.

that is so.

Comment

I wonder if there are sites like that in the US, as well. Montana, ND or perhaps Wyoming, CO.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Grumpy Caveman: Bound to be, just a matter of finding them. Maybe archaeology/anthropology depts at big universities would be a place to start to find them

And this is a really interesting link, thanks to Acmebike for posting it.
        Last edited by Analog6; 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM.
        Odille
        F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
        following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Vore Jump in Eastern Wyo is mentioned in the book.

Comment

The wikipedia page on Buffalo Jumps mentions several other locations.
            carl's cave

Comment

If you ever get a chance to visit Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, it's so worth it! I grew up near there, and loved the yearly trips to the site with our school!
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

There are at least 2 near here. One is over by Bozeman, MT. If you ever visit Lewis and Clark Caverns is within minutes. The other is in Challis, ID. At the highway junction is an historic site/info about the jump and then the mining in the area.

Very fun, educational, and interesting.
                Last edited by IntrinsicArt; 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM. Reason: iPad typing...grr
                Keep it Simple Silly...Go Caveman

My Blog

Comment

Looks like a good read. Thanks.
                  Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

the great grass plains of Alberta, BC.
                    Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    I wonder if there are sites like that in the US, as well. Montana, ND or perhaps Wyoming, CO.
                    Originally posted by Acmebike
                    Vore Jump in Eastern Wyo is mentioned in the book.
                    Cripes. A thousand quatloos to whoever sees what I did there. Don't let me down.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

LOL. I read that and didn't even notice. Montana is a state, not a city in North Dakota. Wyoming is a state as well. Both places listed in Canada are provinces. Oops
                      Keep it Simple Silly...Go Caveman

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Acmebike View Post
                        I just wrapped up a great book on "Head Smashed In" a mass bison kill on the great grass plains of Alberta, BC. It can be found in pdf form for free here:

http://www.aupress.ca/books/120137/e...Smashed_In.pdf

Very good look into the process of harvesting and processing a mass bison kill. Fun to look at with a "paleo" frame of mind as well. The lengths humans have been going to for thousands of years to get animal fat..... well, it all makes sense. A vivid picture is painted of the crushing of bones, boiling in skins to get every last bit of fat out of them. Fat was (is) life for us humans.
                        Very cool, thank you
                        I had no idea that this was used as a method of hunting bison, amazing!
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

The process of gathering, herding, the kill, the processing, it is all just so amazing. For 8k (or more) years, humans on the N. American continent had mastered mass bison kills. I live in the Black Hills of SD and Native history and culture is all around me. The Vore jump is just an hour away, and I'll certainly be there this spring. I went to college at the University of Wyo, and had courses from George Frison, an expert on Native Plains hunting, culture, life, but it took reading this book ("Imagining Head Smashed In") just now, and in the proper "GROK" mindset to tie some info together. Do read the book if you get a chance, sure puts a lot in to proportion! I'll certainly try to get to the Head Smashed in Jump physically.

One practical thing I can take away, is to crush and fracture bones when making bone broth. Lots more minerals and fats get into the water that way!

And it would be interesting to gather up more of this information and citations of early European contact with Native Americans as to the dietary habits here on the Plains. It seems that their food choices highly favored fat. Not the low fat "lean meats" that Cordains' papers hypothesize....

Comment

gc- i tend to zone out typos.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Misabi, there is evidence that Cro Magnon people herded animals, including horses and bison, over cliffs 30,000 years ago in Europe. I read about evidence found in sites in the Ukraine, but now (of course) can't find the link. So it is an old method of hunting.
                              Odille
                              F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                              following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X