Anyone else hear "that voice"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else hear "that voice"?

I went from v*gan to Primal about 10 weeks ago. (Talk about your U-turns!). I find that the further in time I get from having read Mark's book--the louder that lil' voice in my head is... The one that goes, "Dude! You're sure eating a buttload of fat these days! Are you SURE that's a good idea?!"

I heard him particularly loudly as I prepared a sausage-bacon-and-vegetable omelette just an hour ago. (Gawd it was yummy!)

What the Primal Movement needs are "sponsors"--like in AA. Someone that can talk that lil' voice back under it's CW rock! (He said, uncertainly...)

Have any of you suffered from this CW Schizophrenia? Is it one of the Stages of Primal? How did you get past it? (Or have you?!)
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

When I first went Primal, I tracked everything on fitday and felt almost panicky as I watched my grams of fat climb to over 100 grams a day. The proof is in the pudding though, and I am learning to listen to my body for once in my life - my body says fat tastes great and makes me feel fantastic.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I tell him, "get thee behind me satan". LOL!!!! And I move on.
      ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Comment

When I hear that voice, I usually fry up some bacon. Then I can say "If this kills me, it was worth it."

Gordo

Comment

I jumped right in. After reading GCBC of course.

Comment

i used to hear that voice a lot, but lately it's been saying, "are you sure there's enough fat in that?"
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Um, no. I just felt so good that I knew this had to be right for me. The only thinking going on in my head was along the lines of "OMG! I feel amazing! This is incredible!"

I have bloodwork done routinely because of my health history; when all the values came back improved, my physician was very impressed. That only reinforced my belief that this is how I was meant to eat all along.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                i used to hear that voice a lot, but lately it's been saying, "are you sure there's enough fat in that?"
                I never had the voice, but I do have something like this- lol.

I was just cooking dinner. Venison and cabbage. I looked at the meat and though- "That's gonna need some fat."

Comment

I used to get that voice in the beginning. Then I got my cholesterol lab results back after about 6 months on kinda half-assed primal and I'm sold!. Major improvements in all areas Fat loves me.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                    I never had the voice, but I do have something like this- lol.

I was just cooking dinner. Venison and cabbage. I looked at the meat and though- "That's gonna need some fat."
                    Heh heh, I have that inner voice too.

Comment

I feel sorry for people like this. I had always felt guilty for my love of meat and fat and fatty meat and it was a blessing the day I stumbled upon this lifestyle. All I had to give up was "bread and sugar" and I could eat more fat and meat? That's all she wrote.

By the way, we didn't have anything ready to put together for dinner, so I dumped a can of whole, wild caught (do you really catch clams?) baby clams. I fried them up in butter, sprinkled them with salt and fresh ground pepper and drizzled a little lime juice on them. Yum.
                      Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                      Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                      LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                      HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                      TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I struggle with this too. I used to be vegan (and very unhealthy), and now I'm working at going paleo, as a trial to see how I do. I struggle to eat enough meat and fat, after years of conditioning myself to look at a steak and picture me dying of coronary arrest.

What helps me is to remember that my doctor, who I really respect, has gone paleo and she says she feels great. She also says that she puts a lot of her patients on it, and their lipid profiles improve greatly. I also remind myself that a month or so of this isn't going to ruin me. Even if the diet ends up not working for me (for one reason or another), in the long run having tried it on won't be a bad thing. And then I remember how long I "tried on" veganism and vegetarianism, and how awful I felt and how terribly my lipid profile became. I know that if I feel that awful again, I can stop. I'm not locked into anything.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                          +1 We must be vigilant in keeping up the fat!
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I started Primal six months ago, and that voice is starting to fade, thankfully. It was sure loud for awhile, though. Mental whiplash! In the forty years I'd been cooking for myself, I'd always be looking at everything and thinking, "Are you sure you can't get any more fat out of that?" Now, I think, "Oh, good, I've got tallow left from the ground beef and I can do the steak in that. Excellent." It's a learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                              By the way, we didn't have anything ready to put together for dinner, so I dumped a can of whole, wild caught (do you really catch clams?) baby clams. I fried them up in butter, sprinkled them with salt and fresh ground pepper and drizzled a little lime juice on them. Yum.
                              You don't catch clams, you rake the mud and they just sort of appear. Then you pick them up and put them in a bucket. It's about the easiest kind of foraging you can do - totally possible to rake up enough protein for 3 people in about 10-15 minutes on a good beach.

Comment

Working...
                              X