In an effort to save money...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In an effort to save money...

I'm considering switching from grass fed beef to conventional. I get my meat from Whole Foods. WF's conventional meat is 2/3 pasture raised. My question is, compared to "normal", grain-fed beef you'd find in traditional grocery stores, is the omega ratio of WF's conventional beef better than that of the traditional stores beef? Does that 1/3 of grain feeding make a huge difference? Thanks.

Of course I'm not answering your question....but why don't you start getting your meat from your farmers' market or a local family-run farm or get in on a cowpool/pigpool? It's much cheaper than Whole Paycheck, higher quality, and you are helping your neighbors.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

What exactly is "two thirds pasture raised"? If they are butchering an 18-month old steer that's been in a feedlot for six months, it is meaningless. In that case, you might as well drive right past Whole Paycheck and go to your local carniceria.

Gordo

Comment

Beef contains so little polyunsaturates that it doesn't matter that the ratio of conventionally raised is worse than grass-fed. Saturated fat content, micronutrient content and hormone/antibiotic residue in the meat are the biggest differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
          Saturated fat content, micronutrient content and hormone/antibiotic residue in the meat are the biggest differences.
          Don't forget flavor. Grass-finished rocks. But if I was on a budget, I'd just go for antibiotic-free. There's a limit to how much they can abuse those steers without antibiotics to keep them alive.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
            Don't forget flavor. Grass-finished rocks. But if I was on a budget, I'd just go for antibiotic-free. There's a limit to how much they can abuse those steers without antibiotics to keep them alive.

Gordo
            This is true. If you have beef that is antibiotic free, they can only "grain finish" which means typically less than 6 weeks of being grain fed.

I grew up in beef country in Alberta Canada. I have to say, even conventional Alberta beef kicks the crap out of other conventional beef. Maybe because they are mostly range fed?
            The more I see the less I know for sure.
            -John Lennon

Comment

We were able to buy a grass fed steer from a local farmer and it came to $4.10/lb after al was said/done. We can barely buy grocery store feedlot ground chuck for that, around here, and the farm raised includes, steaks, ribs, marrow bones and all kinds of nicer cuts. All for a quarter more per pound than the cheapest grocery store meats. So I feel like we are saving $$ in addition to eating better. I recommend it if you can find one.

Comment

I will definitely have to try to find another source for grass fed beef in my small area. I want the benefits, but, good god, the taste was awful. I enjoy deer/venison, but the beef I had was almost unbearable. I probably gave away 10 to 15 lbs. of the 60 I had originally bought.
                Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I don't think that there's a big difference between 2/3 pasture raised and entirely grain fed if you're looking at omega ratios. I'm assuming that 2/3 pasture raised means that the cows are finished on grain? From what I understand the omega 3/omega 6 ratio changes very quickly when they are fed grains.

http://www.grass-fed-beef-101.com/de..._fed_beef.html

Comment

Cattle are often pasture raised and hay fed while on pasture for the bulk of their life, then brought in to the barn to "finish". Finishing usually consists of being fed hay, still out on grass, but in addition they are fed corn silage, barley etc. Alberta beef is generally barley finished, which gives it that amazingly rich, white marbling its famous for. Finishing beef on corn gives the meat a deeper, sweeter flavour. My personal favorite is corn finished beef, especially if its been raised "happy". Grain finishing is what puts that extra fat marbling in the meat, which is what improves flavour.
                    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                      Cattle are often pasture raised and hay fed while on pasture for the bulk of their life, then brought in to the barn to "finish". Finishing usually consists of being fed hay, still out on grass, but in addition they are fed corn silage, barley etc. Alberta beef is generally barley finished, which gives it that amazingly rich, white marbling its famous for. Finishing beef on corn gives the meat a deeper, sweeter flavour. My personal favorite is corn finished beef, especially if its been raised "happy". Grain finishing is what puts that extra fat marbling in the meat, which is what improves flavour.
                      So funny that what we grow up with we love. I had corn finished beef once and gagged. Oh it was so awful to my palatte! lol But everyone around me who was used to american corn finished beef was raving at the flavor.

I find palatte likes and dislikes so interesting. We are all so different and our tastes differ so much. I love onions, my brother in law hates them. Why?

Back to the original topic, sorry to go off on a tangent!
                      -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                        So funny that what we grow up with we love.
                        So true! I love marmite / vegemite, was rasied on it, and honestly the thing driving me nuts about PB is figuring out a way to eat the stuff! Usually its on toast with eggs on top. Yes, I know it looks like road tar. And it smells bad. But I love that taste! People not raised on it, gag.

Corned beef - that I find disgusting. Corn finished beef - yumm! I agree, it does taste completely different than barley finished beef, or flat out pastured beef.
                        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                          So true! I love marmite / vegemite, was rasied on it, and honestly the thing driving me nuts about PB is figuring out a way to eat the stuff! Usually its on toast with eggs on top. Yes, I know it looks like road tar. And it smells bad. But I love that taste! People not raised on it, gag.

Corned beef - that I find disgusting. Corn finished beef - yumm! I agree, it does taste completely different than barley finished beef, or flat out pastured beef.
                          My Australian friend shmeared it on crunchy bacon and then scooped up the eggs and runny yolks with it. *shudder* she said it was a pretty good toast replacement.

Mmmmmmm corned beef... *drool*
                          -John Lennon

Comment

Yes, it does make a huge difference. Go for grass fed if you possibly can. Yellow fat indicates grass fed.
                            Odille
                            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X