Sciatica nerve pain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatica nerve pain

Anyone got ant tips for dealing with sciatica nerve pain from lower back all the way down my right side. Really bad today.

Massaging your piriformis muscle can help.
    And you can try this stretch

If it is lower back tension, then you need to find a massage therapist or chiropractor.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-31-2010, 07:03 PM.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

yoga child's pose helps me a lot and perhaps some magnesium if your muscles are tight?
      True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
      The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Thanks. All the exercises are too difficult to do. Lots of excruciating pain in calf. Will wait to see my chiropractor.

Comment

Sue, I have been dealing with this for almost 4 weeks now!. I found out I had a herniated disc in my back a while ago from an MRI and shortly after that I was sitting on the floor, just minding my own freaking business and pain goes shooting out across my back, down my right leg. My friggin foot goes numb instantly and I could barely walk. Worst. Pain. EVER. and it's been like that ever since. I called my doctor who gave me Flexeril and Celebrex and some other crap that barely touches the pain. They're sending me to physical therapy, a lot of good that's gonna do when I can barely do any basic stretch or even walk at anything faster than a death crawl without feeling like I'm going to pass out or throw up from pain!. I don't know if you have it this bad but it's from my butt all the way down my leg to my toes and I get crazy muscle spasms/tightness that brings me to tears. haha, yeah, it's been fun.
          The only thing I've found that seems to help is Magnesium and lots of it spread out over the day for the muscle cramps, works better than Flexeril. And alcohol paired with pain meds. But really, I just want it to GO AWAY 'cause it's seriously taking over my whole life. Sorry I'm not much help other than to say I know how much it sucks

Comment

Katie I woke with that excruciating pain all down my leg and when standing up got the sweats and felt like I was going to faint. I hurt my back in August from lifting my son in and out of the car (he is over 50kg) as he is in wheel chair. The chiro said I had a subluxation of lumbar L5 and it was slowly healing and getting better. I had no pain when I saw chiro in mid Dec. Then after doing lots of lunges, squats and step-ups got very sore butt muscles and legs. A few days later started getting the sciatica pain when standing and once I kept walking it would go away. This was for over 5 days and this morning it was different. So much more pain and now while lying down too on the sides. On back is the best. The pain is subsiding a lot now compared to this morning. I may try the stretches again which I just couldn't manage with the excruciating pain earlier. So not sure if the exercise caused my sciatica or the original injury. I will take some magnesium throughout the day. Hope you sort yours out.

Comment

When it is really aggravated and everything is spasming I think getting off of it and resting is all you can do. The whole K2, D, boron, calcium, magnesium, C, B's, etc, chain is important. Magnesium is wonderful, but if you just do magnesium without the rest of the upstream chain being well-supplied, it won't do you much good.

Comment

Thanks Slacker.

Comment

Young Living essential oil blend called Aroma-Siez. A friend used it twice, and her sciatica has never returned. I use a variety of their oils (including Aroma-Siez) on my back (broken x5 with spinal canal trauma) and remain completely pain- and spasm-free. This stuff is truly amazing. You can find it on eBay. They have other oils that are effective for sciatica as well.
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Thanks I'll take a look.

Comment

What Slacker said. I've had sciatica (unbelievable pain! knives shooting up your leg with every step!). I tried a lot of body and spine work to loosen it up, but the only thing that turned it around for me was lying down on the floor for a few days, with my knees up on the couch. Find something good on tv and just stay there. This was the only thing that helped me. FWIW.

Comment

This a story of hope for those that are going into 2011 with back pain, I myself have had a back injury, 2 disks bulgies and along with that comes the scietica pain. Im a firefighter and I was at work or rather on scene of an incident and I bent down to pick up a traffic cone from the side of the freeway and the next thing I know im yelling for my partner cuase I cant move. Now I became the patient and I was now sent to the ER. It was the worst pain iv ever felt I couldnt walk for 4 days had to miss almost 2 months of work and along with the pain came all the doutes that I will never be able to live a active healthy life style. But what I thought was a turn for the worst in my life was actually a point in the direction towards a path of healthy eating, the correct excersices and lots of stretching. I took this back injury as a challange in my life that i wasnt going to loose! this is my body and if anything i was going to will it to get better. Iv spent many hours online researching all the science and looking for uplifting testomonies and I couldnt find much. It was hard to find stories of those who had a full recovery. Well im telling all those reading that if u Eat right, excercise correctly, and stretch along with yogo you will have a full recovery. It takes time though so be pateint, it took me about 9 months to make a full recovery and im in the best shape of my life. So beleive in yourself and dont take NO for an answer Dont get down or depressed because if you learn about your specific condition and how to treat it you will get better! oh ya sorry for the spelling LOL!

Comment

I had very good success with acupuncture. Last time I had throbing sciatica twinges, they disappeared after a single acupuncture treatment! No kidding. Haven't been back, either.
                          I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your stories and advice. It was really helpful.
                            When I first hurt my back from constantly lifting my son in and out of car into his wheelchair it really scared me and I thought I can't live with a painful back. So I stopped lifting my son and started uses a hoist and sling to lift him. Back improved so much but I need to do more. I was doing the stretches the chiro gave me but quit when my back got better. Now with this new injury (or still old injury) with sciatica I probably should have kept up the stretches to strengthen core. So I will resume them.

Comment

Please check out the book Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno. This is what literally saved me from eventually having to go down the surgery route. I didn't believe it was possible that a book could "cure" me, but it did. Well, I cured myself. It is all about the mind-body connection and repressed anger causing pain and inflamation. My scientifically-minded, engineer husband did not think it was possible. He saw how it worked for me however, and now fully admits that such things are possible.

I won't go into great detail, but basically you focus on anger that you have in your life. Each time you feel pain you think about what has caused or is causing you anger and stress--even if you feel it's irrational. For me that was key--allowing myself to think about the the irrational anger. I had so much anger built up that I thought was "wrong" to have. I mean how could I admit to myself that my 2 year made me angry and had made me angry for the whole 2 years of his life? Or that my husband who is a good and loving man was pissing me off at times. My personality (people pleaser) felt guilty for having such thoughts. Dr. Sarno believes that repressed anger builds up and as a result can lead to pain. He does not say the pain is not real. It is very real. Inflammation really is there. Heck, my MRI showed a herniated disc and degenerative disc disease. BUT, this does not mean you are necessarily "injured." Sarno sites studies that show that tons of people walk around daily with herniated discs and degenerative disc disease but feel no pain.

I was at the end of my rope. I hadn't been able to pick up my son for well over a year. Had completely stopped working out. Was a depressed and miserable person because I thought there was no hope for me. All day I lived in pain. Then one day I was at a store called Healthy Back looking into buying an inversion table (I'd tried everything at this point including the expensive Egoscue method). Sitting there at the check-out was the Sarno book. I had heard it mentioned on various exercise forums that I used to frequent, but never paid any attention to it. I decided to buy it and also ordered the inversion table. Within a week I was 80% better and went back in to the store to cancel the table order.

What I did, as was suggested to me on one of my message boards, was to read all the positive reviews of the book on Amazon. Out of 446, 343 are 5-star. It is imperative that you see how others have become pain-free, because it can be difficult to believe that something like this can work simply by focusing on your own stuff. I had nothing to lose at that point and was truly in a bad way. I am still AMAZED at how this helped me. Honestly, this is similar to going primal in that so many people do not believe that it could work or be good for you. I just ignored CW and did what the book suggested. Sarno has other books as well which I have read and would suggest once you finish the first one. I'd suggest The Mind Body Perscription next. On Amazon, out of 150 reviews of that book, 122 are 5-star.

Also, there is a VERY helpful message board: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2
                              This site (along with reading all the success stories on Amazon over and over ad nauseum) was instrumental in helping me become pain free.

Check it out. The worst that happens is you spend about $10 on a book. The inversion table I had initially ordered was over $200. The book was $9 and change. I remember reading a review and someone said something like, "I implore you to read this book." The word "implore" has always stuck in my mind because it is such a strong word. I am forever be indebted to Sarno and all the reviewers who took the time to post their success stories. I implore you to give it a shot.

I wish you much health!

Nuna

Comment

Working...
                              X