Help me buy Ghee, Coconut & Almond Flour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me buy Ghee, Coconut & Almond Flour

I'm sure this has been brought up before, so I apologize for being lazy!

I cannot find a store that has good prices on ghee, almond flour, and coconut products (flour, milk, etc.). Sure there's a "whole paycheck" in town but the products there are prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know any good websites that sells this stuff? Are there any other primal replacement cooking goods I should know about?

Your help is very appreciated!
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Trader Joe's carries almond flour.
    I have not looked for the others but I bet ethnic stores carry them.

Comment

according to Elana's Pantry, there's only one kind of almond flour to get:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/frequent...s/#almondflour

I suppose it depends on what you're going to use it for...

I use Bob's Red Mill coconut flour (but will buy "Let's Do Organic" from Amazon next time I order).

I've never bought coconut milk, just coconut oil (from Tropical Traditions).

Comment

you can make your own ghee! buy some unsalted organic butter, cheese cloth, and a fine mesh strainer here's a link:
        http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_howtosghee.htm
        it takes about 30mins total give or take...and is a whole lot cheaper than $8.00/lb
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

As crazy as it might sound...... Amazon.

They tend to have quite a few options and you might have to do a little side research on the quality and to make sure there aren't any weird additional ingredients but it's not a bad place to start.

The almond flour I got from them was excellent and much cheaper than I would have paid if I'd bought it locally.

Comment

Make your own ghee - it's REALLY easy, check youtube for instructions. Plus, you can be sure there are no additives unlike store-bought ghee. I personally love Kerrygold Irish butter. I got AF from Trader Joe's for a reasonable price. As for Coconut milk, most grocery stores carry them. Whole Paycheck's store brand is inexpensive. I've used Bob's Red Mill coconut flour - a small pack goes a long way. I like the Let's Do Organic brand for other coconut products. And then there's Amazon.

Comment

you can make your own ghee! buy some unsalted organic butter, cheese cloth, and a fine mesh strainer here's a link:
              http://www.ayurbalance.com/explore_howtosghee.htm
              it takes about 30mins total give or take...and is a whole lot cheaper than $8.00/lb
              +1
              Keep it Simple Silly...Go Caveman

My Blog

Comment

I just went to Kroger today.... got 4 bags of Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour for like $2.02/pkg. It was on sale cause it was nearing the sell by date. I made some banana bread today and put the rest of the flour in the freezer. Stuff is regularly $10.49 or something... needless to say, I grabbed every single package that was left. lol.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably order from Amazon this weekend. Great posts on how to make ghee, I didn't even consider that! You guys are so helpful.
                  "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Comment

Almond meal - www.honeyvillegrains.com, $29.00 for 5 lbs. They have a blanched one and one with skins ground in. Both are fabulous.

Comment

Originally posted by eltigabii View Post
                      I just went to Kroger today.... got 4 bags of Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour for like $2.02/pkg. It was on sale cause it was nearing the sell by date. I made some banana bread today and put the rest of the flour in the freezer. Stuff is regularly $10.49 or something... needless to say, I grabbed every single package that was left. lol.
                      whoa, great price! Usually it's $10/lb.

Comment

I asked a coworker of mine if she knew a good source and she told me about this website:
                        http://www.nutsonline.com/

This could do some damage to my wallet. They have everything that's hard to find for pretty good prices. Dark chocolate, coconut products, nuts, snacks, seeds...

Comment

Working...
                        X