Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

numbers, calculations and what to do with them....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey at least I am a Systems Engineer, so I like the "big picture" kind of concepts and whole "person" concepts...guess that's why I chose a primary who is a DO and not an MD... :-)

Comment

I think of of the great lessons in our science and sociologies in the last several decades is that we can "reduce" to absurd points and forget about the whole.

Comment

From your lips to God's ears, OTB.

When I got up this morning, I used calipers and a 3-site skinfold test (don't know what formula the thing uses to calculate), and rolled a 17%. Repeat, same sites (marked with a sharpie) 18%.

I know this is low, because where they measure is not where I have my fat (butt and extreme upper thigh).

Waist, 28 inches (down 2" from 04 August).

Weight, 150.0

"Body fat %", 35---after wiping feet with damp towel, at your suggestion.

35%???????????? I just don't think so.

I guess my body just doesn't fit into the formulas. You're right. BIG PICTURE. Thanks for keeping me from going insane :-)

Comment

I guess the important thing is the trend. Or lack of.

My concern is less the BF number as it is I want to make sure I don't lose LBM during this weight loss. I'll certainly know when I'm 15%!

My scale came with really good instructions. It has a little diagram of best times to weigh in and worst. The summary is don't for at least two hours after eating.

OK, here's a weird thought. I just reread your post and realized that the electrical current go through the foot, up the leg (upper thigh!) across the butt (big butt!) and of course back down the other leg and foot. What if that is different from abdominal fat location?

Said scales should probably measure foot to a remoted sensor to place on your shoulders, perhaps.

Comment

Wow.

Hadn't thought of that. Points to ponder...

Comment

I might just blow $100.00 for a DEXA...tank is not for me because I have serious trust issues, and won't blow out all my air.

I should probably start looking at my bone density, anyway, since Mom had osteporosis pretty bad.

Has anyone here had a DEXA scan?

Comment

No, but my scale claims that their measuring system used the DEXA scans as the template to get the math and system right. I doubt if they alone did this, hey, it's Chinese, but probably people have done so.

Comment

Working...
                X