I have a can of sardines..........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a can of sardines..........

........and I'm terrified to try them! lol Seriously, I need a heads up on what to expect when I bite into one of these little suckers. How are you suppposed to eat them? What do you eat them with if anything? Mine are packed in water if it matters. Thanks!

I like them with a little worchestershire sauce. Some folks like 'em with hot sauce. Just try them and see! They are rather fishy tastying though, just to warn you!

I prefer them in olive oil to water but either way they are good.

Comment

Thanks! I got the water packed ones because my pathetic grocery store only had others packed in soybean oil with other "stuff" in there. So water it was!

Comment

Jacques Pepin often puts them on slices of hardboiled egg & tomato.

Alton Brown grinds them up with avocado to make a kind of "tuna fish salad" but I personally didn't care for it.
        carl's cave

Comment

I'm more a fan of herring, they are less fishy, but sardines are good too. Spear em with a fork, bones and all, and crunch away! Tomato and egg sounds good though, I may just have to try that.
          Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I eat them on crackers or in salads. There is a big difference in taste/quality between the brands. I like the Bela brand sardines from Portugal best. Try the hot pepper olive oil ones. Next best are the two layer Brislings. Crown Prince or King Oscar brands are good. I've had mixed luck with the cheaper brands.

Gordo

Comment

I eat them straight from the can. Top with hot sauce or mustard, if you wish.

Some brands offer firmer fish than others -- I prefer those over the mushier ones, personally. As for "fishiness," I don't find sardines particularly strong.
              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Just eat for god sake and get to important things.

Comment

Same here! I was told as a child that they were packed whole with innards and all, and could never face them. I have tried to find out if this true with no success. If anyone can swear as to how they are packed, it would open up a new food source for me, too. I know it probably ought not to matter, but we all have some food challenge.
                  This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                  Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

hmmm...might try the mustard or hot sauce topping. Yeah, this is definitely a "food challenge" for me. I don't eat shrimp with the vein in. The notion of eating a poopy-shoot is more than my stomach can bear. lol So eating a "whole" animal, especially one with a face, is hanging me up a bit. But I'm going to face it - no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by alydar View Post
                      hmmm...might try the mustard or hot sauce topping. Yeah, this is definitely a "food challenge" for me. I don't eat shrimp with the vein in. The notion of eating a poopy-shoot is more than my stomach can bear. lol So eating a "whole" animal, especially one with a face, is hanging me up a bit. But I'm going to face it - no pun intended.
                      Hmm. Mine don't have faces. Of course, I'm eating El Cheapo brand of fishes.
                      Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                      Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                      LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                      HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                      TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Really? I haven't even opened the can so I guess I just assumed based on internet pics they would be whole, face included. lol

Comment

Usually mine are all just kind of jammed in there like a can shaped fish press - you can mash them a little with a fork and it becomes more like tuna salad looking.
                          Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

Update!!!
                            Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                            Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                            LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                            HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                            TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I wish the ones packed in oil or other interesting things (like bela) didn't have so much salt! I can't find any olive oil/salt free tins.
                              Little Saiyan

Comment

Working...
                              X