Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Milk and Bison

What do they taste like?

I feel like it's about time in my primal life that I try these reputedly delicious foods. Just wondering what I should expect.

Also, does anyone have any recipes or recommendations on how to eat these things?

Never had raw milk itself, just raw milk cheeses, so I can't really give an opinion on that.

Bison, however, is delicious! I'd definitely recommend trying it. It can basically be used in any recipe in place of beef. Son of Grok has a great Bacon Bison Meatloaf recipe on his site. I use his recipe as a basis for my meatloaf but I often change up the ingredients.

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2008/11/rec...falo-meatloaf/

Comment

I had a bison burger with bacon last night and it was lovely. Never had it before but I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Bison is fantastic. It's somewhere between grass-fed beef and venison.

Never had raw milk. Been meaning to pick up some raw goats milk from the Amish. Haven't done it yet.

Comment

About half a year ago I had a cup of raw milk that was not 10 minutes out of a cow. Amazing! The difference was very noticeable.

Unfortunately in Canada, that is very hard to come by as milk has to be pasteurized before sale. If dairy farmers are caught selling unpasteurized milk, they face massive fines.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your insights. These foods are available in my area, but are, of course, more expensive than conventional meat and milk.

I think I will give them both a try come payday.

Comment

I buy raw milk weekly. Love it. Tastes like creamy whole milk. Yum!!

Comment

When I first had raw milk without shaking the bottle, the cream that was at the top tasted like liquid ice cream. But now that I'm used to the taste, it tastes like any other good, fresh milk.

Comment

Bison is great, just keep the heat low. Not much fat.

Milk, raw or otherwise, is not on the PB Orthodoxy Holy List of Approved Foods. It is loaded with sugar and lectins and is is a factor in autoimmune responses in some people.

If you are looking for a white, cold, appealing alternative, check my threads on coconut milk milk. Far fewer calories and almost all saturated fat besides the water.

Comment

i enjoy almond milk as a substitute to milk, i have mild intolerance to lactose.

Comment

We love raw milk. Most amazing taste. We do shakes w/ raw milk & coconut oil which are out of this world. Also, my hubby...who's always been slighly milk intolerant, has no issues at all with whole raw milk. As some of the others mentioned it's not strictly Primal, so not everyone uses it on here. But, it's soooo much nicer than regular milk.

Have had bison too...definitely low fat so requires slooow, low-heat cooking.

Comment

[quote]

Also, my hubby...who's always been slighly milk intolerant, has no issues at all with whole raw milk.
                        </blockquote>

Any farmer who&#39;s taking the trouble to supply unpasteurized milk may also be using a traditional breed of cow, such as Jersey, which could help. I&#39;m sure pasteurizing does cause problems, but so, it&#39;s said, do the proteins in milk from some modern breeds.

It&#39;s interesting that while on the one hand there are many cultures where dairy products are consumed in large amounts, and in which people are very healthy on account of that, on the other some people do seem to have problems with the products currently on the shelves.

The other interesting thing is that almost everyone seems to be fine with butter (or, if not clarified butter) - and also with whey.

It seems the problem might be with a mutated version of a milk protein, beta-casein:
                        [quote]

Some five thousand years ago, a mutation occurred in this proline amino acid, converting it to histidine. Cows that have this mutated beta casein are called A1 cows, and include breeds like Holstein. ...

... the mutated protein, only weakly holds on to BCM 7 [a peptide that&#39;s actually an opiate], so it is liberated in the GI tract of animals and humans who drink A1 cow milk, and it is found in significant quantity in the blood and urine of these animals. ...
                        </blockquote>

http://fourfoldhealing.com/category/fourfold-newsletter/

I can get untreated Jersey milk from a local farm - very nice it is, too.

Comment

Mick...Interesting article. We get our local raw milk from 100% grass-fed cows, so they may well be more traditonal breed. I&#39;ll have to see if I can find out...

Comment

Interestingly enough, Sally Fallon writes quite a bit about the benefits of raw milk in Nourishing Traditions. Westong Price&#39;s web-site also has tons of material about the benefits of raw milk.

Raw milk tastes incredible. I had to give it up to see if my weight will start to go down again, but it seems to be stuck no matter what I do, so maybe I&#39;ll start enjoying it again.

Comment

Working...
                            X