Primal issues: undesired weight gain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal issues: undesired weight gain

I have been primal for about 2 weeks now, I previously ate no grains, low carb and almost no fat, just mainly protein in the for of protein isolates. I was very very lean, awesome tone and muscle build ( I was 5ft female weighed about 97 lbs, I weigh about 110 now...and gaining still 5 ft 26 yrs old) and frequented the gym, Iwas never into cardio, i love to lift and did lots of low impact cycling and elliptical. Now I eat a lot of fat, in the form of coconut oil and animal fat mainly, also since everyone says that any sweets even sucralose (calorie free, pure not splenda) can cause an insulin response I have totally removed anything even sweet tasting. Now, I have major cravings for something sweet, so I consume almond butter and coconut milk, since they are slightly sweetish, I est about 4-6 tablespoons of almond butter and about 1/2 -3/4 coconut milk the almond butter I eat has 6 carbs for 2 tablespoon 4 of which are fiber, the coconut milk has 2 carbs for 1/2 1 of those being sugar. but they are a huge calorie bomb! I currently do crossfit in which most the members are all primal followers and the routines are all based on this theory. I do have an issue with hunger, I can eat food, and I mean eat! I feel hungry all the time it doesn't matter how much I eat; I dont feel satisfied. However when I used to conquer those feelings in the past I would drink about 7 cups of herb tea sweetened with sucralose. I consume zero added sugar now, I don't even eat berries much maybe 3-5 raspberries 3x per week
    I would really appreciate some honest comments, please. I am hoping to find others with a similar problem who have or are trying to conquer

By the way, My weight gain is not muscle or water, it is fat. And no, my jeans totally do not fit me....

I have just researched regarding insulin responses to non nutritive sweeteners such as sucralose they do trigger a insulin response http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0005106
    However in the research a plant originating from India was used to inhibit such insulin responses effectively http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnema_sylvestre
    I did more research it apparently used for diabetes! thoughts anyone???
    Last edited by ylla; 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM.

Try use something like www.fitday.com to measure and track your ratios of fat, protein and carbohydrates so we can get an indication as to the total % of your diet from fat sources.

Comment

I have an exerspy so I track my calories on dotfit.com my ratios come out to 33% protein 6% carb 61% another day 20%protein 11% carb 69%fat
      another day 18% protein 9% carb 73 % fat

Comment

Try cutting back on the almond butter. The average serving size of most nut butters is 2 tablespoons. Eating large amounts of nuts and seeds can produce many of the same undesirable effects of eating grains.

Comment

Agreed looks like i need to take out almond butter! but what is left to snack on?

Comment

what do you guys think about mims? (muffin in a minute, they are made of ground flaxmeal an egg 1 pat of butter 1/2 tsp baking pwdrand u can add salt or cinnamon) im eating a salad w a chicken sausage just about finished and i do believe i feel hungrier :/

Comment

You can still snack on nuts, just watch how many you consume. Try eating a tablespoon or two of almond butter with an apple, a pear or some celery. You could also have a banana with creme fraiche, some berries with heavy whipping cream, or some frozen mango with coconut milk. If you're not too too keen on eating fruit, you could make lots of hardboiled eggs a few days in advance and snack on those. Jerky is another option. :]

Comment

mmmmmm jerky, sounds good. Well I will continue, I just purchased a ticket or whatever to primal con coming this april so I will thoroughly monitor and journal all experiences so that my questions can be properly assessed! Hopefully with enough research and of course trial and error we can all tweak accordingly

Comment

How many calories are you consuming? Maybe that much fat doesn't suit you?
                  Last edited by Sue; 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I consume about 2k calories a day. Maybe I should fast.

Comment

That may be too much calories for someone your size. There is a few on this site that I've read who need to eat way less calories to lose weight.
                      Maybe if you lower the fat and up some of the vegies, some sweet potato you can lower the calories and you may feel more satisfied. Adding more bulk to your diet may help you feel more satisfied. The fat is not helping you stay satisfied. As an example what kind of meals would you eat in a typical day?

Maybe a couple of fasts per week may help lower your overall weekly caloric intake and help deal with the hunger.

Also having a salad before a meal or soup adds bulk for the full feeling.
                      Last edited by Sue; 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

I do have an issue with hunger, I can eat food, and I mean eat! I feel hungry all the time it doesn't matter how much I eat; I dont feel satisfied. However when I used to conquer those feelings in the past I would drink about 7 cups of herb tea sweetened with sucralose.
                        Was your body is happy at that weight (97lbs)? Do you have regular periods? With almost no fat in your previous diet, your hormones may be out of whack. In any case, it will take 4-8 weeks for your body's metabolism to fully adjust to Primal, so patience is needed!

If your carb cravings are normal, they will go soon, but the less you feed them the better. One tablespoon of almond butter is a snack-sized portion (to me at least!) at 5'6", 130 lbs...

If your carb cravings are due to an out-of-whack metabolism (due to eating super low fat) then you might want to read this thread. There is some great advice in the thread from Tigerlily.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

youre only 5 ft tall, you dont need that much food to be honest. between almond butter, fake muffins and sausage....your not eating very primal anyway.

cut the crap...eat almonds, not almond butter, eat fatty REAL cuts of meat, not chicken sausage, eat eggs and butter and veggies. if youre gaining fat then your body wasnt hormonally stable before
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Switching from your previous WOE to a Primal WOE, you may have inadvertently upped your calories.
                            Do you know if your eating the same amount of calories, less, or substantially more than before the weight gain?
                            If its the case that you have increased than maybe just try adjusting to bring the amounts back down to you previous levels. Your previous diet of less calorie dense foods probably also provide more volume, so you could try adding in some of that lost volume from large amounts of veggies every meal.
                            One thing that can help your sweet cravings is berries. Black, blue, and rasp are some good ones. Put them in some cold coconut milk for a more filling snack. From tracking insulin, I've noticed you have to consume a very large amount of berries to have an insulin impact. Of course this depends on your insulin sensitivity.

Comment

I'm not surprised you've gained if you're eating 2k calories a day. We're all different in terms of our calorie needs, but that seems far more than someone your size can handle. And all that almond butter adds to the problem because you're getting too many calories from a 'snack' food. The MIM is also very calorie intensive--and not particularly satisfying, IMO.

Why do you need to 'snack'? I find that it's a good habit to break and just eat regular meals.

I've eliminated all sweeteners, too, and I find that I don't have sweet cravings by not having anything sweet. I do use almond butter, but it's for a "treat" and would never have it on a daily basis. Do you eat dairy? That may be keeping your sweet tooth alive because of the naturally occurring sugar in milk products.

If I were you, I would not try to add fat but just eat fat that's normally part of the food--e.g., skin on chicken, fatty meats, bacon--and in cooking. I dress my veggies with EVOO w/sauteed garlic. I find that gives me sufficient fat and controls calories.

Comment

Working...
                              X