No announcement yet.

At a loss for what to do/feeling so unbalanced and confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful news, Kim!! Makes me so happy that you've gotten some relief!! ::: big hug :::

I don't know about you, but I go back and forth between elation, bitterness, bewilderment, gratitude, anger, humbleness, can hardly believe my good fortune, and deep sadness for all that I have lost over this. After everything and all the struggle, THIS was the answer?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
      I don't know about you, but I go back and forth between elation, bitterness, bewilderment, gratitude, anger, humbleness, can hardly believe my good fortune, and deep sadness for all that I have lost over this. After everything and all the struggle, THIS was the answer?
      DITTO...times a million!

Tigerlily - I agree totally with you. After all these years of binge/purge/starve/gain weight/lose weight...all I had to do was balance the chemicals in my body. Pisses me off I did not know about this years ago. Thank you so much for suggesting the book (on xmas day...thanks for the "gift").

Also, if I remember correctly you and your SO are looking to relocate to Santa Fe? If you are ever in town let me know! I owe you dinner

Comment

Originally posted by kimdowse View Post

Also, if I remember correctly you and your SO are looking to relocate to Santa Fe? If you are ever in town let me know! I owe you dinner

No, that's gotta be someone else. But I might still show up anyway.

Comment

That's me! Happy to have a party with some SW Primals!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

talk about timing...I was just looking back at the posts to figure out who posted about Santa Fe...just found the thread and was going to reply. are you still thinking of relocating?

Comment

Originally posted by kimdowse View Post
              talk about timing...I was just looking back at the posts to figure out who posted about Santa Fe...just found the thread and was going to reply. are you still thinking of relocating?
              Yes. DH is going down to land/get work started and I am following as soon as I sell the house.

Comment

shoot me a PM when you get here...good luck with selling the house and moving! and welcome (albeit early) to sunny NM!

Comment

Will do! Sunshine, here we come!

Comment

Hey ladies: I just found out that Julia Ross will be the guest on an upcoming episode of Underground Wellness. She has been on the show twice before, too.

http://undergroundwellness.com/radio/
                    OR
                    search for on iTunes

(you can find her interview on The Diet Cure from 5/5/09 on iTunes, but not on the website, because it is so old)

Comment

Just wanted to update. I've been taking 3 g of L-Tryptophan for the past 2 days (was taking around 500 mg prior along w/ some other aminos) and have had almost no carb cravy bingey feelings. AWESOME! I read somewhere (on a site talking about Julia Ross's work) that 50 mg 5-HTP is equivilant to 500 mg L-Tryptophan, so I'm playing around w/ my dosage accordingly. I'm taking the tryptophan between meals, with a sip of a fruit smoothie (bolthouse farms or homemade w/ some banana to keep carbs up in it as I've read that is helpful for absorption.) It's making a major difference. Will be posting updates as any new developments occur!

Also, I wanted to share that I've noticed I feel MUCH happier/more content in general--better sense of well being--which I don't even know that I realized I was lacking until it was here. Awesome!
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                        Also, I wanted to share that I've noticed I feel MUCH happier/more content in general--better sense of well being--which I don't even know that I realized I was lacking until it was here. Awesome!
                        That IS awesome, FairyRae! I keep thinking of all the improvements I've recognized over the past year and then compare it with/to the people who continually feel sorry for how 'deprived' I am on this way of eating and how they say "you only live once" and "life's too short to deny yourself", etc...

Love eating primally!

Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen!

And I wanted to clarify--I've been primal for over a year but the well-being changes were directly related to amino acid supping. I've never felt better than I have while eating primally, but still not as good as I feel _right now_. Awesome! So primal combined w/ the supping is doing wonders for me. (I do think I've been dealing with severe imbalances prior to this though, and that primal has been a major step on my path towards finding balance...)
                          My Before/After Pics
                          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

!!

Since this thread has been resurrected, just a quick update on my friend -- Mr. Eat 10 Krispy Kremes And Then Run 10 Miles To Work It Off. So, as I said above, he made it through Thanksgiving with the fam (always binge city) with zero problems while taking the 5-HTP. He just came back from a week in Palm Springs. Ordinarily, he would have been going crazy with the food. He said he packed his "meds" (as he calls it--HA) with him, and he wasn't interested in any sugar (his cruel mistress) at all. He said he did have some tortilla chips, but they were merely used as guacamole delivery devices. In the whole scheme of things, I think he did amazing. He keeps saying, in wonderment, about it taking no willpower.

Comment

Hey guys! I've read this whole thread but I'm kind of swimming with all the info. I definitely feel where so many of y'all have been coming from. Could someone please make some supplement suggestions for me, based on what I'll try to exlpain? First and foremost, yes, I've been having binging problems.

Quick recap of my life (I'm 20): I was very overweight until I was around 18. I'd used food as comfort and entertainment and despised exercise. My first year of college I lost 70 pounds but it was one of those situations where (from more reasons than just weight) I was so furious with myself that "punishing" myself through strict diet and exercise didn't bother me. Yes, I did develop a bit of an eating disorder, even if I was never full-on anorexic/bulimic. I wound up needing to gain about 10 pounds. That summer, (from many factors, including genetics) I came down with depression, not to mention I was utterly exhausted from my crazy year. I was put on Wellbutrin. The next school year I went to my dream school as a transfer, hopped up on Wellbutrin. Things were actually wonderful. Yeah, I had a few rockies and I had food issues I was still getting over...but as the year went on, I was really hitting my peak. I healthfully gained the weight I need to and felt great. I really, really feel grateful to the Wellbutrin. The closest thing I EVER had to a binge was one night when I was soooo stressed I had 5 Hershey kisses, half of a diet donut, and a snack bag of teddy grahams. I was sickened and repulsed and felt awful. Part of it was connected with my former restrictions on food (sort of "Hmm...woooould I?") But that incident was a total anomaly during my time on Wellbutrin. About halfway through my 2nd semester my doctor took me off the Wellbutrin. Still, things were good...though as the semester came to a close, I noticed it was WAY easier for me to give into stress eating. It's been, gradually, really downhill from there.

I feel so out of control and ridiculous right now. I crave carbs and sugaries, even when it's not "stress related." I can put away grain-based products or candy to shame any linebacker. I've gained weight, lost fitness, and really, really hate myself. I've seen counselors throughout my school year but it was pretty useless talk therapy. Christmas was an utter shit show. This semester, I'm studying abroad in London. I just feel so crappy when I should be having one of the best times of my life.

I know there's always emotional issues to work out...but so much of what some of the original posters have said rings true with me.

Does anyone have any supplement suggestions? Should I get the 5-HTP? What else would y'all recommend?
                              Last edited by Phoenixflame; 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Pheonixflame, I personally might start w/ TigerLily's original recs on the first page of this thread--which included an amino acid complex and 5-HTP. I'm personally really cautious about trying the 5-HTP (which is why I'm using L-Tryptophan instead) because of what I've read about 5-HTP causing too much seratonin in the blood which is supposedly not a good thing (not an issue w/ L-Tryptophan). I'd LOVE to read anything that combats this, as from all my research, folks seem to find 5-HTP more effective than L-Tryptophan (just in my reading online).

Julia Ross has really helpful recommendations at her site as well. There is a questionnaire, which if you take it, will have pop ups w/ suggested supps that might be helpful for your specific situation. http://www.dietcure.com/Questionnairea.html (I'm using a combo of her recs and the recs from Joan Matthews Larson's _Depression Free, Naturally_ book with success.)

HTH!
                                My Before/After Pics

Comment

Working...
                                X