Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juicing and Carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Juicing and Carbs

    Hi everyone!!!

    In an effort to realize optimal composition, I am limiting my carb intake....duh

    What I would liek to know is does juicing fruits and vegetables remove a significant amount of carbs? I know that the juice can contain alot of sugars/carbs, but what about the "meat" of the fruits and veggies?

    I like juicing to give my guts a break from fibre every now and then. Normally I'll pour a cup of juice and mix in an egg.

    I want to limit my carbs, but do not want them to get too low.....makes me cranky(er).

    What do you guys thnk?

    Spun

  • #2
    As far as I understand, most, if not all, of the carbohydrate in fruit will be in the juice. The leftover dry material is fiber and doesn't count towards net carb intake.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
      As far as I understand, most, if not all, of the carbohydrate in fruit will be in the juice. The leftover dry material is fiber and doesn't count towards net carb intake.
      agreed. fruits are sugary. the good thing about the meat of the fruit is that you're getting all the benefits of the fruit and sating your hunger.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Be careful that juicing your fruits and vegetables does not increase the glycemic load of your food intake as this raises post-prandial blood sugar.
        My Blog: http://fitafter40vancouver.blogspot.com

        Comment


        • #5
          You're taking sugar and concentrating it. I wouldn't juice, personally.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would only juice cruciferous veggies if I were you. Too many of these can cause problems anyway. Also, think Grok had a jucier?

            Comment


            • #7
              Eat the veggies, don't drink them.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've got a masticating juicer and it is great. I don't drink the juice now - I mix it back in with the pulp, stir, heat = soup. Dead easy. It much reduces the amount of time I used to cook veg to get it soft enough to puree with a stick blender - it is instant and I can't help feel that most of the nutrients are left completely intact.

                Also, onions, garlic, chilli etc juiced gives me an amazing juice to rub on meat as a marinade. Much easier than chopping chillies - no burning fingers to worry about rubbing eyes later. The pulp can be added to soups or stews for added flavour.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you remove the pulp you increase the carbs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't juice...your lose the fiber and increase the glycimic load, as another person pointed out.

                    Eat them in their whole form.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the feedback everyone!

                      For the record, I juice mostly veggies and low(er) GI fruit. No carrots or beets. When I am done, I add water (approx 1:1 ratio) and usually only drink about a cup (UoM) at a time.

                      I understand that Grok did not have a juicer, (he also did not supplements or a desk job ) and that ultimately the whole food is better. I do like to juice every now and then for a day to give my guts a break from fibre....kinda like fasting but with nutrients.

                      I will keep my juice intake minimal and will do some reading as to which veggies are optimal (leafy greens). Thanks again for the feedback.

                      And that soup idea is wicked, and can you say "Primal Bloody Mary"?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I juice non-starchy veggies just about daily. It adds almost nothing carbwise. Paul Jaminet (perfecthealthdiet) would argue that it adds *nothing* carbwise as gut bacteria convert veggies to fatty acids.

                        My juices tend to be celery, cukes as a base.....add small amounts of lettuces, sprouts, kale, parsley, lemon and garlic.



                        iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I make a veggie juice every morning. I love it! It's like a natural mineral supplement. I always keep it low sugar, never fruits or carrots. Today I had 1 head of kale with half a head of celery. I actually weighed it out, it ends up being 24g's of carbs, 10g's protein, 2g's fat. 51% of rda for vitamins, 44% for minerals. I always rotate the greens so as not to overload my system with any specific alkaloid. If I had that kale juice everyday, I'm sure I'd run in to thyroid problems, but I have it once a week or so. Tomorrow may be lettuce, next day sunflower sprouts etc...

                          I'd keep it up if I were you but that's just my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                            I juice non-starchy veggies just about daily. It adds almost nothing carbwise. Paul Jaminet (perfecthealthdiet) would argue that it adds *nothing* carbwise as gut bacteria convert veggies to fatty acids.

                            My juices tend to be celery, cukes as a base.....add small amounts of lettuces, sprouts, kale, parsley, lemon and garlic.
                            Is this sprouted seeds, or brussels sprouts?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kasey View Post
                              I make a veggie juice every morning. I love it! It's like a natural mineral supplement. I always keep it low sugar, never fruits or carrots. Today I had 1 head of kale with half a head of celery. I actually weighed it out, it ends up being 24g's of carbs, 10g's protein, 2g's fat. 51% of rda for vitamins, 44% for minerals. I always rotate the greens so as not to overload my system with any specific alkaloid. If I had that kale juice everyday, I'm sure I'd run in to thyroid problems, but I have it once a week or so. Tomorrow may be lettuce, next day sunflower sprouts etc...

                              I'd keep it up if I were you but that's just my opinion.
                              This sounds great and I shall start doing similar to yours and Cillakats. And the soups which a so easy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X