Julia Child's chicken liver mousse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julia Child's chicken liver mousse

I hadn't made this in years. Basically butter, chicken livers, shallots, cognac, allspice, thyme & heavy cream. Delicious. It is amazing how many of my old recipes are now a fit for primal. I had abandoned them when I was following lowfat SAD.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

Oh, she's all about the butter.

Comment

She lived an active life until age 91 too. Probably would have gone longer without the sugar and grains. It is very eye-opening to me to be able to return to a number of traditional recipes (especially French ones) and find them to be a fit for Primal. I wonder if anyone else has discovered that they could return to old favorites they thought they'd never be able to eat again...but can now that they have allowed fat back in their diets.
      Far healthier!

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
        She lived an active life until age 91 too. Probably would have gone longer without the sugar and grains. It is very eye-opening to me to be able to return to a number of traditional recipes (especially French ones) and find them to be a fit for Primal. I wonder if anyone else has discovered that they could return to old favorites they thought they'd never be able to eat again...but can now that they have allowed fat back in their diets.
        I've always cooked a lot of traditional dishes from various cultures. This is one of the reasons I've found adopting PB to bevery easy
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
          I hadn't made this in years. Basically butter, chicken livers, shallots, cognac, allspice, thyme & heavy cream. Delicious. It is amazing how many of my old recipes are now a fit for primal. I had abandoned them when I was following lowfat SAD.
          Can you provide more detail on this? I'm sure I can find it online but ... I want you to do the work for me... preparation and such ... thanks
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Sure. It is a fairly uncomplicated recipe, too.

1 lb (about 2 cups) chicken livers
            2T minced shallots or green onions
            2 T butter
            1/3 c. Madeira or Cognac
            1/4 c. whipping cream
            1/2 tsp salt
            1/8 tsp allspice
            1/8 tsp pepper
            pinch of thyme
            1/2c (4 oz) butter

cut livers in chuncks, saute w/shallots or onions in 2 T butter for 2-3 minutes or until livers are stiffened but still rosy inside. Put into a blender or food processor. Pour the wine or cognac in the pan and boil down to approx 3T. Add it to the liver mixture. Also add cream and spices and blend into a smooth paste. Add 1/2c of melted butter and blend to incorporate.

She said to put it through a sieve at that point but I don't. After chilling, she packs into a mold but I don't do that either. I just put in in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator.

Far healthier!

Comment

After christmas I am getting her cookbooks. She was an amazing woman. I remember watching her on TV instead of cartoons when I was a kid.

~Patty
              www.Primal30DayChallenge.com

Comment

After a trip to France in my youth I came home and cooked my way through her cookbooks! There is much of value in them today -- I just don't add flour if it is called for and I think the omission won't substantially hurt the dish (I used to be a chef) and, of course, I no longer make any of the dishes involving rice, pasta, sugar, etc. -- I know these are not good for me!
                Far healthier!

Comment

I'd love to make this, but I don't want to splurge on buying the alcohol (money is tight right now , would the recipe be ok without it or is there another substitute?

Also, I'm curious what primal people would serve this on? I know traditionally crackers, but I don't feel like an almond meal cracker would do for this.

Comment

This might sound a bit gross, but I've been working my way through various leafy greens to use instead of crackers for this kind of thing. I'm rather disappointed in the Boston Bib lettuce that I have at the moment, I find it bitter. I'll use thinly sliced, baked pieces of squash too if I'm ambitious enough to make them. Carrot slices maybe? It'd be yummy on tomatos I bet... I may have to make this soon!
                    Last edited by ElaineC; 12-23-2010, 09:30 PM.
                    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

We call this 'Pate' where I come from. I make a big batch every week as the kids and I love it. I don't use cream, but put extra butter in it's place.

You can easily forfeit the alcohol too if you want, but you will need a little acid to deglaze the pan after frying everything. I've used ACV before, it also doesn't have to be cognac, you can use wine, champagne, I even used cointreau the other day as it was all I had left in the booze cabinet.

It's also delicious if you stir in a can of whole green peppercorns (you know the ones that are still soft and sold canned in brine?) after blending, before refridgerating.

I serve them with cucumber slices, pork rinds, wrapped in lettuce leaves. Traditionally this was always served in a wedge with a salad, no crackers or bread.
                      My Journal

Comment

I shall try this - I've got a mega pack of chicken livers on the freezer right now.

Comment

I served it spread on cucumber slices or in endive leaves. Yesterday I ate a dab of it with a spoon, accompanied by a few red grapes -- it was a good combination!

If you wanted to leave out the alcohol, I'd just add the cream to the skillet to scrap up all the lovely brown bits before adding it to the livers in the processor. The alcohol gives another level of flavor but I think it would still be tasty w/o it.
                          Far healthier!

Comment

Thanks for the input all! I just finished a half batch, and used some bourbon we had on hand for the alcohol. I put in the fridge to chill, and I heard that's how the flavors meld, but I tried just a teensy bit (on a ritz cracker. I know, a cardinal sin. But I needed something to ease me into this stuff). And it was so overpoweringly liver flavored And I have to say, I'm thus far not a fan of liver. I'll try again a couple of hours after it has been chilled.

I heard chicken livers were more mild than beef, but the tiniest bit had a good "first" taste, but the aftertaste SCREAMED liver. Maybe I could sautee more onions and combine them, to balance it out a little?

I've also heard that soaking liver in milk before using it helps mellow the liver, is that true? If so, I'll do that before I use up the remainder of the raw liver in the fridge.

Comment

I'm not sure what to suggest. I've heard of soaking beef liver in milk but have never heard of doing so with chicken livers although that might help a bit. Also your idea of more onion...and perhaps more spices?---might make some difference. And it may mellow a bit more with refrigeration. But bottom line is that liver is going to taste like liver and there is no getting around that flavor completely.
                              Far healthier!

Comment

Working...
                              X