Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole30/strict paleo type thing in January?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 6 days left for me! I'm pretty much going to leave most of the dairy out from now on, except for butter and an occasional bit of cream. No more cheese. I'm glad to be a lot lower carb again.
    Here's my update:
    http://prettyinprimal.blogspot.com/2...week-left.html
    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Whole30 Update: It works! I had stalled at around 138 for months on PB (down from about 145 - I'm 5'6"). After 25 days of not-even-perfect Whole30 I'm at 130, passing my goal of 132. I think I might aim for 125 just for laughs. There were some slips so I can't say I've done a real Whole30 (small amounts of dairy and potatoes in the last few days. I was at the Spotted Pig, could not resist the blue cheese burger & fries!). I have not touched alcohol or sugar, however, and I think that might have done the trick. Normally I like to have a glass of wine in the evening. Or two. The sinus pressure has subsided a bit but is not completely gone. Another week to go but I might ease up a bit. Honestly, I am never hungry now and it's hard to actually eat enough. Anyway, if you're stuck, I highly recommend the W30. Unless all your relatives come to the city one after another and insist on going to fabulous restaurants every night, it's not that hard.

Comment

• Day 26 of Whole 30. I've had 3 small deviations over the 4 weeks (dinner out with sugar in a sauce/champagne for a toast/1 can of diet coke) but otherwise 100%. I feel amazing, I can't wait to do my measurements and weigh in because I know my body composition has changed. I also introduced kettlebells and heavy lifting this month and I know that's helped.
        Biggest thing I've learned? Dairy is staying out of my life after this is over. My body and specifically my belly fat does not like it
        My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          Biggest thing I've learned? Dairy is staying out of my life after this is over. My body and specifically my belly fat does not like it
          I do think this is the ticket. Though I know I will be cooking with butter occasionally in the future, dairy is not going to be a regular feature. Black coffee is not bad, coffee with coconut milk is nice. Cheese is a ridiculous extravagance. Once in a blue moon.

Comment

• Amazing progress, everyone. Way to keep it up!

Comment

• Seriously- if I had known that ditching the cheese was going to make such a difference in my body composition, I'd have done it a looong time ago!!
              http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

• Feeling pretty awesome here! I have not noticed any weight changes or changes in how my clothes fit but I have WAY more energy than I have in a long time. Funny how eating GOOD food, not stressing about it AND getting enough sleep (which begs the question of WHY am I still up? bed time was 2 hours ago. I'm gone as soon as I hit post.) can make a world of difference. I can't seem to call it a day with out at LEAST an hours walk. The last 4 days have been (in addition to my 4 days a week of crossfit) a 2 hour walk, a 2 hour bike ride, 2- 3 hour snowshoe hikes and a kick ass night of broomball. And I could do more! SAH-weet!

Comment

• I'm wondering as most people's 30 days wind down, what you are going to do after? I still have close to a week as I started late, but was giving this some thought. At one point I thought I'd eat pizza or something just to indulge, but nothing like that sounds even remotely good any more. All I want now is a bit of dark chocolate and to be able to use butter or ghee in a couple of recipes. I will also be trying to add back eggs (taken out because of an intolerance) with the blessing of my doctor. If I could eat eggs a couple times a week breakfast would sure be a lot easier!

What are your plans? Are you going hog-wild or keeping things pretty much the same?

Comment

• Well, I (a) stepped on the scale too soon and (b) congratulated myself too soon. I have completely blown my W30 as of day 21 (was perfect up til then, IMHO). I had wine the last two nights, plus a very small bit of potatoes gratin last night. In my defense, my mother is visiting and we were at Union Sq Cafe. Still, I will need to take another stab at the W30 after my birthday in Feb just to prove I can do it. On the plus side, I just bought a pair of size 6 jeans, down from a 10/12 at my highest. Although they are from the Gap, so no doubt they run large. Still, I choose to believe I am now a size 6.

After W30 I think I will def keep the dairy to an absolute minimum, but I will not consider it a poison. Grains and legumes I definitely consider poisons so those are out regardless. As for the wine, that remains to be determined, but I hope I can keep it as a rare treat, not a regular feature.

Comment

• Originally posted by jennf View Post
                      I'm wondering as most people's 30 days wind down, what you are going to do after? I still have close to a week as I started late, but was giving this some thought. At one point I thought I'd eat pizza or something just to indulge, but nothing like that sounds even remotely good any more. All I want now is a bit of dark chocolate and to be able to use butter or ghee in a couple of recipes. I will also be trying to add back eggs (taken out because of an intolerance) with the blessing of my doctor. If I could eat eggs a couple times a week breakfast would sure be a lot easier!

What are your plans? Are you going hog-wild or keeping things pretty much the same?
                      Well my birthday is THE day after I end my whole 30. I'm kinda undecided about how I want to handle that. Do I just eat whatever I please, dumping god only knows what back into my system? Or do I pick ONE type of food that I have been avoiding and just eat that. Or neither of the above? We'll see. It might just depend on what food shows up at the party!
                      But beyond that I move into phase two of the nutrition challenge at my gym. The next month is 'keep it pretty clean but start experimenting to see what foods you can add back in and how they make you feel' So I've got another 30DONN to do. I may actually go the other way and go slightly MORE restricted and go 100% dairy free (right now I use cream in my coffee and thats it.).

Comment

• Well as of today, my Whole 30 is over.

I lost 6 lbs, 3% body fat and gained 1.2% lean body mass. I'm down 2 1/2 inches around the bust, 1 1/2 inches around the waist, 2 1/2 inches around the lower belly and 1 1/2 inches around the hips.

All this with severe adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism.

What's going to change after this?

Well, not much. I'm not re-introducing dairy, although I may have a little clarified butter every now and then. I will have the odd alcoholic drink but only once a week.

This has been a great experience and something I think I'll do probably twice a year as a way to re-set my body.
                        My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                          Well as of today, my Whole 30 is over.

I lost 6 lbs, 3% body fat and gained 1.2% lean body mass. I'm down 2 1/2 inches around the bust, 1 1/2 inches around the waist, 2 1/2 inches around the lower belly and 1 1/2 inches around the hips.
                          Congrats! That's awesome...other than the reduced bust size

Comment

• Originally posted by BeagleMan View Post
                            Congrats! That's awesome...other than the reduced bust size
                            If it's any consolation, it's because my back got smaller. The girls are the same as always
                            My Journal

Comment

• Good for you! Those are pretty significant changes in 30 days. Aside from that, you also proved how much of ass you can kick if you really want to.

Glad to hear you were able to stick it out till the end.

Comment

• Day 29 today - I'm coming up to the finish line! I'm guessing many people have finished up. I'd love to hear what you all thought of your 30 days and what permanent changes you will be making because of it.

I'll post again on Wednesday with some final stats, but I know what changes I'll be making permanently. This 30 days really was helpful in figuring out what wasn't working for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X