Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thyroid problems, digestive issues and acne: low carb or moderate carb diet best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some similar issues- gluten intolerance, symptoms of low thyroid (normal tests, including the ones I paid for privately since the NHS wouldn't do them), possible adrenal problems and so on. I've been reading Mastering Leptin which says that thyroid can be downregulated if there is a leptin issue as the body thinks it is starving even though it isn't. So low thyroid but without an actual thyroid issue. As far as I understand it, inflammation is at the root of it (my symptoms flared when other gluten intolerance symptoms flared, and I doubled my bodyweight in 3 years at that same time, so it makes sense). I haven't got that far with what to do about it yet though, the science just isn't there really. Minimising inflammation by removing inflammatory triggers and using anti-inflammatory things like fish oil, can only be a good thing.
    Originally posted by onalark View Post

It's like my body sees carbohydrates and yells, "MY PRECIOUSSSSS." and won't let go. And ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything grain-based.

Best explanation ever!!! I know just what you mean!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Comment

I have some friends over there and a couple have as much trouble with Drs in the NHS as we have here in the US. They can be SO far behind and and stubborn that it's maddening. I guess that is why the thyroid sites are so busy and books sell. You really have to take charge, do your homework and be your own "thyroid program manager", and be very assertive when seeing the doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
        I have some friends over there and a couple have as much trouble with Drs in the NHS as we have here in the US. They can be SO far behind and and stubborn that it's maddening. I guess that is why the thyroid sites are so busy and books sell. You really have to take charge, do your homework and be your own "thyroid program manager", and be very assertive when seeing the doc.
        My docs here have been wonderful and done every test they could. They actually can't do ones not indicated, the lab will refuse them if they don't have sufficient reason for them, especially expensive ones. I was impressed with the care I got, just a shame it couldn't help me. But then I don't think meds are the answer for me, not yet anyway.
        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
        Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by adriabold View Post
          High constipation, fatigue and cold temperature all these are making me fed up with life. It is almost 2 years now and still complaining regarding these elements. I tried to avoid operation and consulted Homeopathic doctor. He said that thyroid problems are curable without any operation but these problems are increasing daily. Let me know what has to be done now. The temperature remains cold in every season. At times I would blood flows out of the nose. Help me take the right decision. I am totally confused.
          Your post is confusing. In order to help you, more specific information would be beneficial.

What operation are you trying to avoid? Have you had testing done-- TSH, free T4, free T3, antibodies-- to see if your issues are thyroid related. If you've been tested post your results here.

Some things that can mimic thyroid symptoms include:
          1. Low Vitamin D
          2. Anemia, including low ferritin levels
          3. Blood sugar issues
          4. Poor diet

Comment

To the OP: have you considered Iodine supplementation? Either kelp tablets or sublingual liquid are a good choice. There are several environmental halogens that can block thyroid production in the absence of sufficient iodine. And no, you probably don't get enough from iodized salt - since the iodine dissipates within a month after opening the package.

A couple of resources I would recommend: Stop the Thyroid Madness, and adrenalfatigue.org

Adrenal support is also important. James Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue is a good resource for information.
            Last edited by bokbadok; 05-21-2011, 03:59 PM. Reason: added reference link
            42 yo female; 5'8"
            Oct 2009: 205 lbs
            Dec 2010: 167 lbs
            Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
            Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Working...
            X