Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Evolution Diet - Art Devany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    What if they're right about the lean meats?
    They could be right. I still think that if you avoid eating toxic things that you're going to be fine.

    The lean meat part didn't bother me. The part the made me close the book laughing was about fire and cooking being a recent invention, so you shouldn't eat anything that isn't edible raw. I figured that anyone who made such a fundamental error probably hadn't done his homework in the other areas either and wasn't to be trusted.

    Gordo

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by gordo View Post
      They could be right. I still think that if you avoid eating toxic things that you're going to be fine.

      The lean meat part didn't bother me. The part the made me close the book laughing was about fire and cooking being a recent invention, so you shouldn't eat anything that isn't edible raw. I figured that anyone who made such a fundamental error probably hadn't done his homework in the other areas either and wasn't to be trusted.

      Gordo
      I know that in Paleo world we often say “if Grok didn’t eat it, or it wasn’t available, then neither should you” and I often think that’s silly, but only eating things that are good for you when raw is dumber than dumb. It can work as a guidelines I guess (to avoid grains, legumes, etc) but not eating tubers because they may not be edible raw doesn’t sit right with me. Meat too, while we’re at it. I don’t mind some raw meat, but I like it cooked much much more.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

      Comment


      • #18
        Have you read "Catching Fire" by Richard Wrangham? It's a great book. Evolution and cooking. What cooking does to food(good things). Comparing our digestive tracts to our primate relatives. Raw-foodists in Germany. All kinds of good stuff.

        Gordo

        Comment


        • #19
          I haven't read Art's book (but it was on my Amazon wish list until this post), but I did get the Paleo Diet Cookbook. I knew Cordain had an updated version of his Paleo Diet book out this month, so I was hoping to see him soften his position on animal fats. He didn't. He does recommend grass-fed beef, but still says to get the lean cuts and trim visible fat, etc. It was a little disappointing as I had thought he recommended lean meat because he was assuming the masses would be eating grain fed beef. To recommend grass fed and then still trim it all down seems a bit much.

          With that said, I got his book for meal ideas and not ideology. I may get Art's book too knowing that I may not agree or follow everything he states.

          Comment


          • #20
            Each of the authors subscribe to the same basic theory, but each has its little differences. We all post on here because we mostly subscribe to Mark's version. Whose to know which is the best one? I for one don't like things to be complicated. I pick a method and stick with it, and don't change unless it's not working. I like Primal. As far as not eating egg yolks, that's lunacy. Eggs are the perfect food.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by RezH View Post
              Each of the authors subscribe to the same basic theory, but each has its little differences. We all post on here because we mostly subscribe to Mark's version. Whose to know which is the best one? I for one don't like things to be complicated. I pick a method and stick with it, and don't change unless it's not working. I like Primal. As far as not eating egg yolks, that's lunacy. Eggs are the perfect food.
              Who is to know which is best? Whoever reads all the research and correctly understands it, without making any grave errors in comprehension. Evidently Art/Cordain cannot be counted amongst that group. It's not like there isn't plenty of evidence contradicting their stance on fats... someone needs to introduce them to Gary Taubes.
              The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
              Blog
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                I wish I'd read this post before ordering the book from Amazon yesterday.
                Oh, well. At least now I know what to expect. I'd read some Art Devany stuff well before I found MDA and thought it was brilliant, but never paid for his website, so haven't read any in years.
                Sounds like the book will be interesting, but not a keeper/reference book the way the Blueprint is (although my copy is currently on loan).

                Comment


                • #23
                  40 quatloos is pretty freakin' outrageous for a simple blog site, too. I paid for a year when he first started it out at $25 or something. Yeah. Just one year.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by melodious View Post
                    I wish I'd read this post before ordering the book from Amazon yesterday.
                    Oh, well. At least now I know what to expect. I'd read some Art Devany stuff well before I found MDA and thought it was brilliant, but never paid for his website, so haven't read any in years.
                    Sounds like the book will be interesting, but not a keeper/reference book the way the Blueprint is (although my copy is currently on loan).
                    If you ordered pre-order then you can just go and cancel it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Setabas View Post
                      I did get the Paleo Diet Cookbook.
                      <snip>
                      With that said, I got his book for meal ideas and not ideology.
                      How do you like it for that? I thought of getting it and just adding extra fat to the recipes...I have a cookbook addiction.

                      (Sorry a bit OT.)
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                      "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                        Who is to know which is best? Whoever reads all the research and correctly understands it, without making any grave errors in comprehension. Evidently Art/Cordain cannot be counted amongst that group. It's not like there isn't plenty of evidence contradicting their stance on fats... someone needs to introduce them to Gary Taubes.
                        Honestly, I don't even think this is enough. There's still so much that human's don't know about their own bodies.

                        Btw, "like fighting a spider crossed with a tree" made me laugh very loudly.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                          How do you like it for that? I thought of getting it and just adding extra fat to the recipes...I have a cookbook addiction.

                          (Sorry a bit OT.)
                          FairyRae, here are my thoughts on the Paleo Diet Cookbook:
                          • It's paperback
                          • Except for the cover, there are no pictures
                          • Unlike many (if not most) cookbooks, there is actually about 52 pages of lead in to the cookbook, so if you didn't know a thing about Cordain's thoughts on the Paleo diet, you could actually learn enough about it to follow it from the lead in to the cookbook. While I don't necessarily agree with all he wrote, I think this is a great way to begin a diet specific cookbook.
                          • There are sections on the basics, setting up the kitchen/shopping, etc.; breakfasts, snacks/appetizers, poultry, beef, port, lamb, bison, game meat, jerky, fish, seafood, salads, veggie dishes, condiments, salads, sauces, fruit purees, beverages, desserts, a two week meal plan and a section for crossfitters and athletes.


                          The meal plan is a little bit of a disappointment. It essentially just lists the names of various dishes presented in the book. So Day 1 breakfast is simply a breakfast selection from the book. There are no weekly shopping lists or efforts to use today's protein in tomorrow's dishes (as Robb Wolf seems to do in his book, where he sets it up that some of the meats you cook for dinner can be utilized in tomorrow's planned lunch). So this plan would take a lot of work to set up a shopping list and coordinate it.

                          As far as the recopies, they don't seem hard and I'm sure they'll be interesting to try even though I haven't done so yet.

                          As I mentioned before he still seems to be anti-fat and anti-canned products (such as fish). I have canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, clams, chicken and turkey upon occasion and I wouldn't be able to be primal for 100% of my meals if I didn't as sometimes I just have time to grab a can, some greens and some olive oil.

                          All in all, I think it will be nice to have some more recipes at my disposal to mix things up, so for me I think it was a very good purchase and while I like the Primal Blueprint cookbook more, the recipes in this book are not quite as gourmet and will probably be quicker for someone like me (limited cooking ability) to prepare easily.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            oh crap! I've already placed a preorder the day i saw his post on MDA's main site! better try to cancel before they ship!
                            Started PB 18 July 2010

                            -18.5 lb/ 8.4 kg as of 20 Dec 2010

                            Goal: to lose lose all my belly fat!

                            134.9/116.4/no goal weight, just visible abs!

                            going Primal works! ~~

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I take back my words.. I DO have a thing for Paleo/Primal books. Gonna get it anyway, I'l just skip the parts i don't agree with. (I do love my fatty meats and butter!)
                              Started PB 18 July 2010

                              -18.5 lb/ 8.4 kg as of 20 Dec 2010

                              Goal: to lose lose all my belly fat!

                              134.9/116.4/no goal weight, just visible abs!

                              going Primal works! ~~

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I agree with grumpycaveman that the "eat lean meats" thing is probably more right than not - the problem is that most hunter-gatherers preferentially ate the really fatty bits on those lean animals. There is a LOT of evidence for humans roasting bones to crack them and eat the marrow, which is nearly all fat, and the kidney fat and other bits surrounding internal organs are sitll highly prized. Not only that, but fattier animals have always been hunted preferentially, too - animals like bison, porcupine, beaver (tail: all fat.) etc. The leanest animals - small game birds and rabbits - are sort of last-resort, eat-em-if-we-have-to sort of things. So, in the absence of a variety of nice fatty animals like beavers and porcupines to eat, should we eschew nice grass-fed beef and lamb for nasty flavourless chicken? I think not. I won't be buying the book.

                                That having been said, I think you CAN overdo the fat and if you're going to chug a lot of it, you should probably take other steps like spend most of your time outside, or turn the heat down significantly in your house in the winter. I have no scientific basis for this claim, except that my own observations of not craving fat unless I am cold and active for long periods of time (like winter camping sort of things).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X