question about timing (or something)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about timing (or something)

so, we've been primal for however long now (3 weeks actually, 4 weeks before from the day we decided to do it), and there is one little snag that we are running into.

being weirdo, crazy busy people (no one can relate to that, right? LOL), our meal times tend to be fairly consistent. breakfast around 7:30, lunch around 12:30, and dinner. Ah, here is the clincher.

we tend to have dinner around 8 because of DS's new bedtime routine. this is tough, and so i like to have a "snack" around 4 or so when i get hungry. That "snack" is currently consisting of something like "chocolate" or "an apple." like how i put quotes around it?

anyway, my husband goes ahead and has a "light meal" with DS around 5:00, which allows him to "last" until dinner. he typically has a "snack" in the morning (he eats breakfast at 6 am) which consists of "chocolate" or "an apple" (or other fruit) or "pumpkin seeds, chocolate, and fruit."

now, in our discussions about it, we were not really keen on this as an "on-going" snack idea. we'd rather have fruit as a dessert and "with food" (meaning at the end of a meal) rather than have it alone such that there might be a sugar spike. of course, nuts help-- and we dont' eat a lot anyway --but it's just not something on-going.

we don't want anything that would require prep (pre-prep is fine, we just mean on-site prep because we are at work and there's just a microwave), and of course cupcakes are out.

hard boiled eggs might be an option, but we already consume about 12 eggs a day as a family, so. . .that would get expensive.

any ideas? thanks.

to clarify,

there are days where we only eat 3 meals per day, and soem days where i only have two, and every meal we eat, we are comfortably full. if not, we eat a bit more until we are. not "stuffed" but satisfied and comfortable.

but some days, i'm just *hungry* and i'm trying to figure out how to have things to eat, available, on those days, that is also easy to get to work. and to eat at work, too, and doesn't look "too weird" since i'm on the front desk. LOL

Comment

raw broccoli or cauliflower florets?
      sliced cucumbers?
      cherry tomatoes? (if doing nightshades)

all are good finger goods you can quickly pop in your mouth at the front desk, without stinking up the whole place (like a pouch of salmon would).
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

heh. yeah, we could do veggies no problem. i'm thinking with a mayo-based dip it might be nice. i make some good mayo dips.

Comment

I eat Coconut Manna for a snack. Don't know if you can find it in NZ, though...No prep, no refrigeration needed--just a spoon!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

probably. i was thinking of making raw coconut truffles that my friend--a raw foodist--makes. but that's still chocolate. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              probably. i was thinking of making raw coconut truffles that my friend--a raw foodist--makes. but that's still chocolate. LOL
              Ooooooooooh, chocolate! Interestingly, I read that raw chocolate is not so great for you--phytoxins and all. I think "regular" chocolate is fermented?
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

meat pieces (chicken breast, steak, whatever), cheese pieces (if you do dairy), then whatever vegetables you have cut up. sour cream as a dip. this is my favorite bring along snack because you can eat as much or as little as you like, and it's pretty balanced.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

we are still trying to figure out how much meat to buy. i think we eat it sort of "sparingly" which probably isn't helping. By that i mean, we might want 9 sausages (you know, well made, no crap, from the grass fed farm animals and what nots), but we'll only cook 6 or whatever is in the package. left overs are for the next "meal."

i know. it's messed up. but food is expensive here.

Comment

Can you try just eating more at lunch? That might carry you through another couple of hours.

Comment

i'm usually full after lunch, so.. yeah.

yesterday, the kid didn't fall asleep for an extra hour. it's a bit of a mess when that happens. i was *hungry*.

Comment

Why snack? It's OK to feel hungry. You are going to eat in like 2 hours you are not going to die or expire or fade away and you may even lose a bit of weight(if that's your goal).
                        Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

chima:

seeing as i'm not in this to loose weight, and i've already dropped from 23% to 20% body fat in about 2 weeks and went from a 28 to 27 inch waist, i'm really NOT looking to loose weight.

the real issue with feeling hungry is *not* the stomach, but the head. typically, we are at work when we get that sense of cloudiness in the mind, and an inability to think clearly and move through tasks. crabbiness is also a factor. this is NOT GOOD for work. considering we are customer-service based, crabby never works out. and, there are a lot of small, detail oriented tasks that need to be completed, so cloudy brain isn't good either.

i have n problem with IF--i skip meals frequently if i do not feel hungry (in the stomach) or do not have any crabby/cloudiness in my thinking. but, it is difficult for me to go from 1-9 pm with 1-7 being at work, and then the last two hours being putting the kid to bed. At that point, it doesn't matter so much (7-9) but when at work, that's a lot. and i start to feel that way around 4/5. so, it would make sense to eat something.

i'm not sure i can eat more at lunch. in a normal work-world, i would probably just have dinner at 5-- in fact, that would be my preference. i would usually do that and then not eat before breakfast. but, since i do work, and then get the kid down, it means dinner is pushed back (on an ideal day) to 8. and bedtime at 10. breakfast i usually skip or eat late (9 am or so), and then lunch around 1 and then, well, there iti s.

i'm just looking for something simple.

and, if i'm not hungry, i don't snack. it's not like i'm planning it out like "and then i'll have this at 3:30 exactly!" it's more like, i need something to carry because if i do get hungry, then i need to eat.

Comment

I might eat once, twice, three or more meals a day. It just depends on what I've eaten & how hungry I am.

I find that if I have a bit brekkie, like a 6 egg spinach & mushroom omelette I'm good all day, and not even really hungry when I decide that I should eat again at around 8pm. But if I have a smaller brekkie or miss it completely I do get the same fuzzy feeling at some points in the day, but a stick of butter, handful of nuts or even a big glass of full fat milk usually sorts that out and then I'm good for a while. If I don't get lunch I'm ready for small meal as soon as I get home, which is then usually followed by another meal 2 or 3 hours later
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

heh heh just realised that I'm posting after you again zoebird, I'm not stalking you though
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X