Got a BodyMedia (like BodyBugg) and wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a BodyMedia (like BodyBugg) and wow

This is the first weekend in forever that I haven't gained weight. In fact I am down to 147.7 this morning. It really does open your eyes to how many calories you are burning. I am doing good keeping a deficit of around 600 give or take. I started at 151 on Monday and am 147.7 this monday. I usually fluctuate betwen 151-148, but I almost always gain on the weekend and I didn't this weekend. I am excited to continue to use this tool.

I have been thinking of getting one of these. I really like the sleep analysis feature. Post back in a couple weeks and let me know if it's worth the price. The price tag is the biggest thing stopping me. Those things aren't cheap. Maybe Santa will bring me one if i ask nicely

Comment

Costco has it for 149 right now with a 12 month free membership. It isn't the Bluetooth enabled, which works with smartphones, but so far that feature is sucking anyhow. I think it will definitely be worth the money.

Comment

Do you mind if I ask you a rather detailed question about this? No? Thanks!

There are times that I have eaten 1100 calories of low fat, high carb food and maintained my weight, and there are times I have eaten 1800 calories of high fat, low carb food and maintained my weight. What would your "machine" say that I was burning off? During the weeks I was eating low fat, would it say that I was burning off 1100 calories? And on the weeks that I was eating high fat, would it say that I was burning off 1800 calories?

What about adaptive thermogenesis? What does it say you are burning off when your body is adapting to the food you eat by raising and lowering your metabolism?
        Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
        Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
        So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
        Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
        Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Wouldn't a rise in metabolic rate be picked up as a rise in body temperature?
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Okay let me just explain what I know so far...

The bodymedia tracks calories burned based on several different sources of data the armband collects. http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Learn-More/How-it-works This link explains it better than I could.

It doesn't matter which diet you follow as far as the armband. You have to track your food in the activity manager if you want to compare calories burned vs. calories consumed. Right now I eat a high fat diet, but I am not concern about the amount of fat so much as my overall calories. Does that make sense. I can try to copy and paste one of my days if that helps.

Comment

interesting....you'll definitely have to let us know how it goes...I'd love to get one.

Comment

Right now I eat a high fat diet, but I am not concern about the amount of fat so much as my overall calories. Does that make sense.
                Actually, there is something about that that confuses me. You say that you are concerned with the overall calories rather than the fat. Do you feel that if you suddenly switched to eating very low fat and very high carb but stayed with the same amount of overall calories, that you would continue to burn the same amount of calories and continue to lose weight?
                Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Well I have never purposely eaten this much fat before and actually haven't lost any real weight eating this much, but I have lost eating low carb in the past and I have lost eating higher carb. I am honestly thinking at this point in my journey that is about total calories. If the calories are too high, no matter what the ratios the weight isn't going to come off for me. I also have some health issues that I am sure are contributing to my struggles. I did pay attention to my ratios too. I didn't mean to imply that I don't, but my focus is to make sure I have a calorie deficit at the end of each day. My fat intake is around 50-60% and I keep my carb to under 100. I was going really low carb and that did nothing for me. Hope that helps a little

Comment

You might find this interesting, on the topic of all calories being equal:

http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work.c...e-counter.html
                    Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I don't believe that all calories are equal when it comes to nutritional value or how the body handles them. If I were to eat 1300 calories and my carbs were junk carbs (sugars, grains, etc.) I would gain weight. My carbs are in the form of veggies and some fruits.

The calories(foods) I consume are good, natural sources and my carbs are from veggies and some fruit. If I were to eat junk I would gain weight even keeping calories in check. Anyhow, too early in the morning to argue all the particulars. I am just trying to find what works for my body and eat healthy in the process.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I'm not criticizing! I'm just trying to figure out how the Body Bugg things work, and so far I am still confused!

Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I have been using one for almost a year now... it helped me (along with PB) get down to my lowest weight ever.. I would highly recommend it!

Comment

I'm interested in it for how it tracks calories burned. But I always find food logging to be a royal pain in the butt.
                            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                              I'm not criticizing! I'm just trying to figure out how the Body Bugg things work, and so far I am still confused!

I guess I am missing what you are confused about. Did you look at the link? It track calories if you enter your food, it tracks steps taken and calories burned. This is done through the sensors that are on touching your arm. It reads several different types of data, which is explained in the link. As far as macro. breakdown you can view that from your activity manager, but it isn't a main point of the system. The point is to track burn vs. calories in. Does that make sense? Sorry if I am not answering your question right, but I guess I am not sure what you really want to know. Like I said I can show you a screenshot if you want.

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                              I'm interested in it for how it tracks calories burned. But I always find food logging to be a royal pain in the butt.
                              Did you look at the link? It explains how it figures calories burned. I am finding the food logging super easy. I can log by my phone or from my computer. It is very fast. I have had to add some of my own foods that aren't in the database, but it is MUCH faster than any on-line site I've used.

Coach81 - glad to hear you love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X