Major bacon bummer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major bacon bummer

I realized today that ALL of the bacon at the grocery store I shop at is cured with sugar. Booooo! Just a heads up to those who are interested...I was bummed
    Results Pics:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Most of it has nitrates to :/
    ad astra per aspera

Comment

Bummer! Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?
      My journal

Comment

If no Trader Joe's then try here.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

what about eatwild or localharvest sites to find a local meat farmer (or at least one who ships)??

Comment

Do you have meat markets that process deer and cows? Ours has a store that sells meats that aren't usually offered in our small town grocery stores. I've found uncured bacon there. Maybe you could try checking the stores in your area and calling the meat department to see if they ever get them in. At least with the uncured bacon I bought, sugar was the 4th or 5th ingredient.

Comment

So just out of curiosity... I haven't let the sugar in my bacon bother me because its such a minute amount. Am I being stupid here? There is so little sugar left in the meat that I felt like it was kind of dumb to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                So just out of curiosity... I haven't let the sugar in my bacon bother me because its such a minute amount. Am I being stupid here? There is so little sugar left in the meat that I felt like it was kind of dumb to worry about it.
                I think this is another post where we need to see the forest for the trees; while uncured and sugar free bacon is optimal, not everyone here has ease of access or the money to spend on it, but at least you aren't scoffing Hershey's Kisses or something.
                My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                  Bummer! Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby?
                  Nope

I'll try eatwild~we found some amazing grass-fed beef via that site (for WAY less expensive than the crap @ the grocery stores). I, too, think it's probably such a minuscule amount of sugar that I probably shouldn't worry about it. It still irks me, though.

My uncle does all the processing of our deer, and while he makes the BEST sausage, I don't think he does much bacon (if any). He does smoke a mean fish, though
                  Results Pics:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Comment

If you can find pork belly, just make your own bacon. That's what I do.

Comment

I think the amount in the bacon I eat is so small - but I'm not eating it every day...

I tried pork belly - I wasn't a fan...it was too salty. I guess I prefer the sugar-cured...

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                        If you can find pork belly, just make your own bacon. That's what I do.
                        How? Please share.

Comment

to make bacon, just slice the pork belly nice & thin. it's where bacon comes from, after all.

in my case, i couldn't get to the usual place i get bacon this last pay & had to pick up the sugardale variety. i cannot begin to tell you how much this bacon sucks! there's little drippings, it's weirdly stretchy, & just not good. i'll never buy it again!
                          And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                          Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

On a related note, I just wanted to share that the secret ingredient on Iron Chef last night was pork fat. Episode reairs: http://www.foodnetwork.com/iron-chef...ock/index.html

Comment

When I eat bacon I eat a whole pound and I buy whatever is on sale. The tiny bit of sugar doesn't bother me at all.
                              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Working...
                              X