• Show
Clear All

• Are plantain chips primal approved?

100% plantain with sunflower oil.

Thanks.

Michele

rancid sunflower oil.... good stuff.

Comment

My daughter loves them. Are they the ones from Trader Joe's?

Grokka has a point. Heating sunflower oil to cook them isn't wise. Although, it may be the high oleic sunflower oil (low polyunsaturates), so it might be safer.

Because my daughter already is gluten-free and doesn't eat a lot of other things, I just let her have them...maybe 2 or 3 times a week.
      Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I am in the same boat. Both kids are GFCFSFEGNF (gluten, casein, soy, egg, nut FREE) so when it comes to them having a snack at school they sometimes want lays potato chips. I was just wondering if plantain would be any healthier .. both are cooked in sunflower oil ... neither is organic.

Thanks!
        Michele

Comment

I personally would do the plantain chips. I find them more satisfying. They seem to be thicker and "heartier." Again, we don't eat a ton of them, but keep them around. Like you said, they're both sunflower oil. I am not convinced that potatoes are a great food for everyone -- especially for kids with food allergies. They can damage the gut. I'm not saying they can't be eaten in moderation; I just think plantains are safer? Maybe?

Trader Joe's has yummy vacuum fried banana chips fried in coconut or palm oil i think. No sugar. But they're sweet, so they don't really satisfy the salty side. They're labeled 50% less fat, but they're still good. I don't like the full-fat ones...I don't think they have any flavor and they have sugar added.

I found these on amazon: they're in palm oil -- http://www.amazon.com/Inka-Crops-Roa...f=pd_sbs_gro_2

Comment

you could always make them yourself using coconut oil...
            And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
            Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by aboutsaffron View Post
              you could always make them yourself using coconut oil...
              Very tropical, indeed.

Comment

Working...
              X