Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point do you risk gaining an intolerance to eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point do you risk gaining an intolerance to eggs?

I've been hitting the eggs pretty hard lately and I'm afraid of becoming intolerant / allergic to them. At what point do I risk this? I eat anywhere from 2 to 6 eggs a day (usually on the higher end of that), 5 or 6 days a week. I'll occasionally eat as many as 8 eggs in a day. Should I be doing this? My digestion is always fucked up and gave me plenty of trouble before I started eating so many eggs, so it's hard for me to tell if eggs are causing any additional distress.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM.

I think it's individual. I have been eating 2-3 eggs a day for over a year with no problems. Try dropping them completely for a week and see how you feel.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

i ate 4 a day most days for a couple of months and developed an intolerance. no idea if that's typical, but i've been off them for months now and it looks like i might just be able to reintroduce them (at a much lower level) now.

Comment

Originally posted by cemdev View Post
        i ate 4 a day most days for a couple of months and developed an intolerance. no idea if that's typical, but i've been off them for months now and it looks like i might just be able to reintroduce them (at a much lower level) now.
        May I ask how you figured out you were intolerant to them? Like, was it full-on nausea or something more subtle?

Eggs used to trigger migraines for me, back when I still got those. After figuring out what was making me so susceptible to migraines I was able to enjoy eggs without a problem and I guess I've been going a little overboard. Starting tomorrow I'm going to try slowing it way down, I'd hate to get to the point where I couldn't eat them at all.

Comment

Jones,

As someone who developed allergies as an adult, I can understand your concern. I already have 3 of the top 10 food allergens I have to avoid, so I don't want to add eggs to that list. I try to cycle my egg usage, so my body gets a break. I will do eggs for 3-4 days in a row and then take at least 2 days off. My system seems to handle eggs fine right now, so this is just a preventative measure right now.
          Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
            May I ask how you figured out you were intolerant to them? Like, was it full-on nausea or something more subtle?

Eggs used to trigger migraines for me, back when I still got those. After figuring out what was making me so susceptible to migraines I was able to enjoy eggs without a problem and I guess I've been going a little overboard. Starting tomorrow I'm going to try slowing it way down, I'd hate to get to the point where I couldn't eat them at all.
            they gave me the shits. i had no idea it was eggs, so i continued eating them - i thought i had a bug of some sort. Went to the doctor, had bloodwork done, fecal samples taken, even a colonoscopy. When I stopped eating them, i went back to normal. Tested that 3 times just to be absolutely sure it was eggs that was causing it.

others seem to have no problem with it, so ymmv - that was just my experience. i seem to be able to eat eggs again now, so i'm cautiously going to reintroduce them - just not every day!

Comment

Originally posted by MJinLV View Post
              Jones,

As someone who developed allergies as an adult, I can understand your concern. I already have 3 of the top 10 food allergens I have to avoid, so I don't want to add eggs to that list. I try to cycle my egg usage, so my body gets a break. I will do eggs for 3-4 days in a row and then take at least 2 days off. My system seems to handle eggs fine right now, so this is just a preventative measure right now.
              I do the same thing. I will do eggs like 3 or maybe 4 times max a week. I have serious gluten and dairy issues so I really don't want to add a 3rd. I think having some variety and tricking your system once in awhile isn't such a bad thing.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Just a thought to share: I seem to have dropped many of my food allergies/sensitivities after being on 8,000 IUs of vitamin D for 9 months...

Comment

remember to peel them.
                  activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

I think it very much depends on the state of your immune system. Some people seem to be able eat the same thing every day for the whole of their lives without a problem. Others of us have to be very careful to use a 4 day rotation on major proteins to avoid building up antibodies to a level that causes symptoms. I do know there's something in egg white which is actually detrimental to the gut, whether or not you are intolerant, so perhaps a few days off here and there is a good idea regardless.
                    My primal journal
                    You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                    In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

I've been eating 4 eggs for breakfast for most of the last 5 years and I have no intolerance
                      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

It makes no evolutionary sense (to me) that we would develop an intolerance to "staple" foods. After all, Grok probably had a relatively limited "menu" to choose from, so ate the same food every day he could get some within a season. Makes me curious what is actually causing the intolerance...

Comment

Working...
                        X