Primal Diet and Seasonal Allergies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Diet and Seasonal Allergies

can eating a paleolithic diet help with seasonal allergies caused by grass and tree pollens?

I've heard two lines of thinking on this...

1)Maybe it can help, but seasonal allergies are caused by LIVING in an area where you are not adapted to.

2)Yes, it can because allergies are caused by some sort of autoimmune disorder that eating a primal diet can help with.

Now, when I was living in Virginia I had terrible seasonal allergies, took immunity shots and the whole shabang..recently though I live by the beach on the west coast and don't suffer allergies at all. I've also been eating a more whole foods based diet...so no way for me to disentangle what is actually the cause of why i no longer experience a constant running nose/ sore throat.

Anyone here have an experience with primal diet and seasonal allergies..
    An evolutionary psychologist takes a look at the psychology of ancestral living, and how to make our minds fit, healthy, and happy in the modern age.

www.thetribalway.com

Oral tolerance/immunity; when you ingest foods, you are exposing your body to foreign antigens and allowing your body's defenses to accept it as normal (or self, therefore, won't attack). By eating local, whole foods, you are indirectly exposing yourself to the pollens and other stuff, building up a tolerance and decreasing reactions.

Or you might be allergic to something that is present in Virginia but not the West coast, whichever.

Comment

I never got seasonal allergies until I had a child - I think some sort of fundamental shift in my body made me more prone? They're nowhere near bad enough to even whine a little about though. I live on the West Coast but grew up inland in the north.

Comment

I have had seasonal allergies most of my life. It got worse when I was in high school and college. I used to have the longest duration cold virus which would last for months. But after paleo I haven't been sick at all. My seasonal allergies are no longer there. I think my main issue was that I had serious gluten sensitivity and dairy issues. My two main area of concern are a thing of the past now, no more allergies and no more IBS.

My previous diet consisted of a lot of whole wheat, oatmeal and lowfat milk. Eliminating glutens and dairy has been a life saver.
        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I had seasonal allergies for 15 years and took Clarity, Zyrtec, Flonase or Rhinocort on a daily basis. I got the primal leap kit and within 3 days I stopped my meds. Now it has been almost 90 days and I am allergy free. It's the main reason I don't even cheat. When I used to watch my diet for cosmetic reasons onus, the motivation only goes so far. When you see noticeable health benefits, it makes it way easier joystick with.

Comment

Hasn't helped me any, in fact my hayfever is worse this year than I remember it being for the past few years..

I'm having to take 2 'one a day' pills, one in the morning and one in the evening, otherwise my eyes are to itchy to sleep and I wake up with a nose full of clotted blood and snot.
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I've lived on the west coast, within 10 miles or so of the ocean, my entire life. Began getting seasonal allergies 20+ years ago. Popped pills constantly. Last February, a new doctor recommended using a neti pot and I haven't popped a pill since. Also used to get sick a lot and it lasted forever. Haven't been sick since February. Not sure if it's due to the neti pot or eating mostly primal since August.

Hubby, on the other hand, who rarely had allergies and rarely got sick, has had cold/allergy symptoms since early October. He is eating less primal than me, but has definitely cut his consumption of grains. Not sure what's going on with him, though it seems his symptoms may finally be improving. Perhaps a long, drawn-out "carb cold"?
              My primal journal

Comment

No seasonal allergy symptoms after dosing with Vitamin D to sufficiency.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I used to have very bad allergies. Then I moved halfway across the country. They disappeared.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by sf40 View Post
                    I've lived on the west coast, within 10 miles or so of the ocean, my entire life. Began getting seasonal allergies 20+ years ago. Popped pills constantly. Last February, a new doctor recommended using a neti pot and I haven't popped a pill since. Also used to get sick a lot and it lasted forever. Haven't been sick since February. Not sure if it's due to the neti pot or eating mostly primal since August.

Hubby, on the other hand, who rarely had allergies and rarely got sick, has had cold/allergy symptoms since early October. He is eating less primal than me, but has definitely cut his consumption of grains. Not sure what's going on with him, though it seems his symptoms may finally be improving. Perhaps a long, drawn-out "carb cold"?
                    Neti pot has helped me quite a bit too. I use it twice a day.
                    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Two things for me to try then, up my vit D and try neti poti. Sounds reasonable, I used to leave on the west coast of the UK and surf or swim in the sea pretty much daily, and would often have water gushing from my nose whenever I bent down for a while after coming out of the sea! But I've never been able to breath more easily and didn't get hit by hayfever until I moved away from the coast for a while... Now it's all making sense
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Get the squeeze bottle version of the neti pot. About a million times easier.

NeilMed Sinus Rinse - 2 Bottles - 250 Premixed Packets - Value Pack
                        http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

i've no idea what got rid of my seasonal allergies; switching to primal or starting to use the neti pot. all i know is that i've been through both spring & fall now, & haven't had problems either season. yay!
                          And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                          Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                          X