Portion Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portion Size

I'm still learning about what primal foods I should eat, and the biggest problems I have are with eating eggs all the time (3 a day, scrambled or fried, etc) and how much fat I should eat (tons of walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, and almonds). I cook with coconut oil and butter. What should my portion sizes be or how should I measure it? Mark's book mentions that when starting out, not to worry about it, but now I think I'm not creating a calorie deficit, and I'm just eating more than I should. How do I determine what my portion sizes should be?

Are you losing fat? Inches? Do you have any idea how many calories you are actually eating? www.fitday.com
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Nuts are one food that that most of us (including those who don't count calories, which is the majority), either limit or avoid. I limit them to about 2-3 servings a week.

For one thing, they aren't pure fat, but also contain protein and carbs -- so if you're trying to stay very low carb (I'm not), they can boost you over the line.

Also, the O-3/O-6 ratio in nuts isn't the greatest. Too much O-6.

Finally, nuts are just so yummy that I can eat way too many of them. "Way too many" doesn't mean I'm worried about the calories, but it does mean that if I let them, they'll push out more healthful foods like meats and veggies. So, I limit them to a garnish or very occasional handful -- not a consistent part of my diet.

As for portion sizes of other foods: Most PB "beginners" can eat to satiety on protein, healthful fats, and veggies without having to worry about creating a calorie deficit. In a lot of people (though admittedly not all), it doesn't seem to matter whether they overeat on calories as long as carbs are low. Amazing, but it's all about how your body metabolizes different macronutrients. All calories are not equal, and the calories-in, calories-out theory is oversimplified.
      Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 12-11-2010, 10:18 AM.
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Let your tummy be the guide! Eat meats, veggies, and fats until you aren't hungry anymore. I also eat fruits and nuts and have lost weight, but I think many people need to have a limit on those foods.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

It's pretty easy to overeat nuts. I wouldn't go crazy with them b/c the calories stack up FAST but there's not a lot of bulk in the tummy for the physical feeling of "full." A handful (not cupped, piled high handful) is plenty in a day. If you want to eat unlimited nuts, then do the work to get the meat out yourself - start with the whole nut and whack it/crack it to get it open...just like Grok would have (no cheating and using a nutcracker). That's a great way to limit nut consumption because you quickly realize how much work it takes to get a sorta small reward. Grabbing handful after handful of shelled nuts out of a bag...way too easy.

When I was new to PB, I had to learn about satiety and fullness all over again (all that got screwed up thanks to CW high carb/high sugar, eating 6 meals a day because the clock said it was time to eat). Once I learned that my mouth was not a vacuum cleaner (even with "clean" primal foods) and got my metabolism sorted out so I wasn't craving carbs all the time, (and therefore falsely hungry) the portion control took care of itself naturally. But there was some weight gain and plateau of no weight loss for a time while I figured all that out. Totally worth it. This is a way of life, not a quick fix.
          Last edited by kennelmom; 12-11-2010, 10:54 AM.
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            Let your tummy be the guide! Eat meats, veggies, and fats until you aren't hungry anymore.
            If I do that, I overeat every time! I am a small woman with a big appetite!

I have to limit my food.
            Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
            Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
            So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
            Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
            Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

You say you are eating a "ton" of nuts. I would go easy on those as they can really imbalance your Omega3/Omega6 ratios. Use them moderately as a snack a few times a week. Also as for eggs, I don't see them as a problem unless you have some auto-immune issues that you still can't get rid of. As a Primal eater, I don't really worry about portion size if you are eating the right foods. I basically eat until I am full.
              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I'm confused then, I though nuts were what we should be eating as far as fat goes, besides using olive and coconut oils to cook/dress with.

Comment

Originally posted by jvaldezjr View Post
                  I'm confused then, I though nuts were what we should be eating as far as fat goes, besides using olive and coconut oils to cook/dress with.
                  You're better off to get your fat from fatty cuts of meat, eggs, or added tallow and lard if you need it. And dairy (butter, cream) if you eat it. Nuts are good in moderation, but should not be a significant source of calories.

Comment

Here's my piece on this. Don't make an issue of calories. Do make an issue on the type of things you consume.

Don't eat to satiety. You don't feel full until you are actually overstuffed. Follow the Okinawan dictate----Hara hachi bu----eat only 80%. It means stop eating before you are full. The 80% bit, for me, is figurative. I can't measure it. I can sense when I don't need more to eat. It might take time to get used to it, but it will get easy in time.

Now, I realize that this may not be exactly what you need. It works for me but then I have no desire to loose weight. I feel good in my skin.
                    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

You didn't mention any meat. Are you ovo-vegetarian? If so it will not be easy for you to get enough protein while avoiding poisons. Some members of this board have developed egg allergies after eating too many
                      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by RSL View Post
                        If I do that, I overeat every time! I am a small woman with a big appetite!

I have to limit my food.
                        For me that was true, BEFORE going primal. If your meal is meat, fat, and good veggies, it is pretty hard to overeat in the longterm. It is actually easier to undereat when you are eating properly. Cut out the nuts, up the meat, and let your appetite guide you.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

My suggestion is to use one of the computer based food journals for a while.

That way you can see exactly what you are eating, it will calculate calories, Protein, fat, and carbs and then you will be able to tell! Also I started off by using one of the online 'calorie requirement' calculators to get an idea of where my calorie range might be. Then I am using all that info and comparing it to how I feel and look and the fact that I AM losing weight (quickly at the beginning, slower now).

Also a small food scale is useful for learning portion sizes. I had no idea how big of a piece of fish or chicken weighed 4 oz. Now I do. I can eyeball a salmon fillet to within half an ounce or so! I find that the scale is very useful for developing my eye and just don't let myself get sucked into precisely measuring and being OCD about food!

Comment

@Peril
                            Most of the meat I each are lean ground beef (93/7) turkey, chicken, pork, and sometimes some seafood (which my wife hates, and is scarce in the home). Also, my wife's mom is a nurse and I have been getting the cholesterol lecture about having eggs for breakfast almost everyday, and instead pushing me to eat more grains. I know my problem has been carbs in the past, but learning how to cut those back, and add more fat, is confusing me now, since I relied on nuts to fill the void.

Comment

I had to kick the nuts out of my diet and start eating fattier protein like ribs, bacon, etc. I can get my fat % up which works great as an appetite suppressor. I do track every week or so on livestrong/myplate just to make sure my ratios are where I want them. I have a tendancy to eat more protein and less fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X