Is a LOT of fat okay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a LOT of fat okay?

Pardon my obsession with numbers, but I am an Engineer by trade... I am 6'6" 240 pounds, and so I typically aim for about 210 grams of protein a day, and between 100 - 150 carbs, per the PB. However, in order to get enough calories to keep me from wasting away, I end up eating over 50% of my calories from fat.

Is this bad or am I just still programmed to the Conventional Wisdom way of thinking? Should I scale up the carb limits a bit due to my height and weight or just keep eating the (good) fat?

Fat. Eat it.
    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Is this bad or am I just still programmed to the Conventional Wisdom way of thinking? Should I scale up the carb limits a bit due to my height and weight or just keep eating the (good) fat?
      Still programmed. I eat about 50% of my calories from fat per Mark's recommendations. Read this.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

There aren't too many days where my fat intake is below 50%.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks, y'all. I am very excited about this journey to better health.

Comment

My fat is between 65% and 70% every day.
            Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
            Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
            So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
            Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
            Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Fat... it's what's for dinner.

Comment

I tend to eat a bunch of fat, but when I get too much (for me) I spend more time on the toilet. I also have issues with combining milk, coconut milk and cream into smoothies - nasty gut pains - so I need to be smart with the pat intake. Having said that, I don't shy away from it, in fact I look for more ways to include it in the diet, but like I said, I need to be careful that I don't go overboard.

Comment

Kmacphee, have you ever considered that you may be lactose intolerant? I didn't know that I was until I went without dairy for a while, then had some.

Comment

kmachphee, something sounds amiss about your digestive system. Have you been tested for major food intolerances or digestive diseases? Improper fat digestion is a major component of a lot of different gut/intolerance issues, it's something I suffered from for a long time before getting diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Now without that poison in my diet I regularly "snack" by drinking cans of refrigerated coconut milk mixed with cinnamon with no issue, 500 fat calories each!
                    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                    -J.Stanton

Comment

I probably never have a day less than 50% fat, how else are you going to get your calories in. Today I ate leftover steak grease, coconut oil, coconut milk, butter, fatty fish, cream, and brie. Hah!
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                      X