Nightshade Free Support Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jammies View Post
    Some celiac patients have been shown to react to extremely tiny amounts of gluten.
    My sister has gotten sick for days from ingesting trace amounts of gluten.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Well, the rheumatologist can rip this jar of mustard out of my cold, dead hands.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
        Well, the rheumatologist can rip this jar of mustard out of my cold, dead hands.
        Actual LOL!
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
          LOL!

I've been on many forums, some paleo, and there are some folks who just *sort of* avoid nightshades b/c they get reactions from eating them in larger quantities. I don't think every person who has a problem with them needs to avoid them 100% to acheive decent results. Although I think some people are probably so sensitive (jammies, who knows--maybe me! ) that 100% will make a huge difference for them. I think it all depends on you, your body, and your own issues.

I've not complained of my joint pains in over a week I believe, and I've been mostly avoiding nightshades for 16 days now. BUT I've been eating paprika spiced mustard daily. I figure, if I strictly cut it out for the next few weeks or so, then see how I feel, THEN add back in trace nightshades (or even trial real big chunks of them--tomatoes, peppers, etc) I'll be able to better see how they impact me. It's taken me a LONG time to just attempt this. And I'm someone who quit dairy and gluten cold turkey long ago and didn't look back because of my son's food sensitivity issues. But nightshades--ahhh--so hard to let them go! It's probably been almost a year of me thinking about dropping them. *Something* I'm doing seems to be working now--whether its whole30 or avoiding nightshades. Its so cold here and my joints are suddenly *not* aching, for the first time in my adult life. A very good thing!!!
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

Here are a couple ideas for no-mato maeinara and enchilada sauces:

http://www.mothering.com/community/f...y-free-recipes
            for sauce what about a squash/pumpkin sweet potato sauce? I try to do wihtout tomatoes sometimes actually, because I would rather DD not have them all the time, and I SWEAR my dad reacts to them though he doesn't wnat to think about it, and I cook for them alot

For the pumpkin sauce, (I don't use exact recipes so this is approximating) you can do this two ways: You can use one can of pumpkin, or you can use a winter squash and a sweet potato roasted. I rost HUGE batches of root veggies and use them for sauce. Here's what I do: 1 butternut squash, a couple sweet potatoes, lots of carrots, and if I have turnips/parsnips use those too. I used to cube everything but that is SO much more work! So preheat the oven to 400, cut your squash in half, drizzle olive oil in a pan and lay it cut down, then rub the sweet potato skins with olive oil put in same baking dish. On another pan put a ton of carrots with olive oil/salt and pepper (like a couple pounds at least). the carrots will finish first, and after the squash is done, just scoop it all out, and peel the sweet potatoes. I also roast a head of garlic at the same time often. Just pulse everything in a food processor together, with a little chicken stock to make it more of a puree and not paste. you can use roasted garlic right in, or just make it plain to use as needed. It has SO much more flavor than just a can of pumpkin.

Another couple ideas is to use this as base for a "non tomato" type sauce. Just take some of your roasted veggie puree, add a little rich homemade chicken broth, and saute some onion, garlic, italitain seasonings satued and then toss it all with pasta.

Here's the actual recipe/method, it's very forgiving: (for an enchilada type sauce)
            2 cups or so of your veggie pure or a can of pumpkin or sweet potato (the small one)
            1-2 tsp each cumin, coriander, oregano
            couple garlic cloves minced
            apple cider vinegar - taste after 2 tblsp or so, i just use a couple good glugs may be more like 1/4 cup
            olive oil
            salt/pepper

FIrst use a good tbls or two olive oil and saute onion till soft, then add garlic, and spices and saute 30 seconds untill fragrant. Deglaze the pan with about 1/4 stock or water if you don't have it and simmer a minute to reduce and make sure all the yummy fried onion/spice stuff is together. Off the heat stir in a little apple cider vinegar, then stir in the pumpkin. I use a little sweetner like sucanat or raw sugar, that type whatever you have, maybe a tsp. Taste and add a little more vinegar if needed. If you love it you can make a big batch and freeze.
            My Before/After Pics

Comment

Mango salsa is also a good sub for the more traditional kind. I just realized this the other day.
              http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

FairyRae: I always find it so interesting what food item people struggle with to let go. For everybody, there's always SOMETHING. I walked away from nightshades (hands off my damned mustard, tho!) without even so much as a glance back, but struggle with dairy. And you're exactly the opposite.

Comment

TigerLily, I think I was really lucky (in a really weird way) that my son had clear food sensitivities and reactions to gluten, dairy, corn and soy, while nursing. I basically _had_ to cut them or continue watching him in pain. It felt like I didn't have an option, it was just something I HAD to do for my baby, as his mother, and in ways I'm grateful, b/c I probably never would have followed this path had I not dropped those foods back then. (I had no CLUE how much of an impact on my life it would have.)

I also went through serious withdrawl from gluten and dairy and thought it was INSANE how addictive foods could feel. And prior to quitting, I clung to gluten like there was no tomorrow, trying to justify why I should keep it in, how that couldn't be an issue for him, etc...Once it was out of my system, I have had almost no urge for gluten--esp bread--which was shocking to me--at all. I've had urges for sweets made with gluten free flours, but I think that is more sugar related than gluten related--gluten free subs for sweets have always been acceptable to my pallette, while gf bread is just NOT--blech. (A major reason I wanted to do the whole30 is that I still have a sugar issue. )

Nightshades--my ds shows no sign of having issues with nightshades. So, the motivation is quite different. This is only about me now (I don't *have* to do it for my baby's health). Its also always seemed harder for me to make that decision to drop something than to actually do it--once I do that, it feels a lot easier, prob. because I realize that food--whatever it is--is not necessary for my life, or for my food to be delicious. And now that I'm not having joint issues (seriously, a week ago or so I was in horrible pain b/c its so cold here), I'm super motivated to stick to this, and maybe go all the way with it.

I'm really liking the whole30 as well. In a lot of ways, I'm really an all-or-nothing person, and having the 20% option may have muddied things in *my* head. (I don't know that I would have gone primal without that option in the first place, but now I'm at a place where whole30 seems like something that could really work for me now.)

Fascinating stuff for sure!
                My Before/After Pics

Comment

Do you like mango salsa in Mexican style dishes? I'm intrigued! My sister LOVES fruit salsas on fish, ever since her honeymoon in Jamaica (fresh fish every day with various fruit salsas--I was drooling with every one of her descriptions--she mostly talked about the food! )
                  My Before/After Pics

Comment

I am SUPER excited for both of the recipes posted! I am trying them both this week. The pumpkin marina is going over spaghetti squash and the mango salsa (minus the peppers) is going to go over grilled chicken thighs with avocado. I LOVE having new meals to try.

Thanks!
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Bumping--tried any recipes yet jammies? I just got some pumpkin, sweet potato, and butternut squash yesterday. Planning on doing something sauce-wise with them. Also got a mango--would love to make a mango salsa to serve over chicken or fish...mmmmm...
                      My Before/After Pics

Comment

So I've been mostly nightshade free for a/b 3 weeks. As nightshades are not out on the whole30 (my other current experiment) I thought I'd try them last night to see what happened, and to see if my joint pain had just alleviated from so strictly avoiding sugar for the past few weeks...

Approx 1/2 cup of tomato puree + 1/2 hour later and WOW! My knees started to ache, then my hips! It kept getting worse and once an hour had passed felt just like it used to (almost all the time--I can't believe I lived like that!) So, I'm absolutely sensitive to nightshades in anything more than trace amounts. The pain lasted all night until I went to bed (I hate ache-y hips in bed!) Feel just about all better today--my knees feel sensitive but are not in bad pain.

I'm blown away. I honestly can't believe I endured this awful joint pain for at least my whole adult life without ever realizing this or making a change. Its INSANE how much this has impacted my quality of life before now. It's absolutely the reason I've loved yoga since the start (alleviated the joint pain a bit for me). I am really really amazed at how greatly I was impacted in such a short amount of time. I don't even want to trial any other nightshades in any large amount because the pain sucks so bad. CRAZY!!

I guess I should get started on some of those nightshade free recipes... And I will continue to work on getting all the trace nightshades out of my life as well to see how that makes me feel...

WOW!
                        My Before/After Pics

Comment

WOW, WOMAN!
                          It's a good thing you've undergone this reinclusion experiment, or you never would have known! Amazing what pops up.

As for me, I am doing great keeping away from the 'shades. It's been surprisingly easy, really. (Let's not discuss dairy, however. Ahem....) Now that I've realized there's a substitute for my beloved tomato-based salsa and pico de gallo, I am okay. I've moved on to the fifth and final stage of grieving.... acceptance.

Comment

I also avoid nightshades, and for the same reasons posted above--joint pain. No nightshades equals no joint pains for me.

I appreciate the two salsa recipes that were posted.

Mustard is really no problem. I don't use much mustard, but when I do I make it. Basics--mustard powder from the spice rack and some water. That makes an Asian style mustard, hot, like in a Chinese restaurant. For other flavors I add whatever spice I feel like tasting. Vinegar also is an ingredient of mustards. I use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. White vinegar can be a petroleum product and it isn't required to add that fact to a label. Even if it isn't a petroleum product it is usually made with corn, which is verboten for me as well.

Mustards are a fairly easy green to grow. Just the leaves as a green in a salad or stew, whatever, impart some mustard taste. If it goes to seed, collect the seeds and crush them and use the paste to make a mustard.

It took a long time to quit nightshades. So many dishes pretty much are based on them. They taste too good too. After a time they aren't missed.
                            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Have you found a way to replace chilli? And what sort of spices give that 'hot' affect to food but aren't nightshades?
                              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                                So I've been mostly nightshade free for a/b 3 weeks. As nightshades are not out on the whole30 (my other current experiment) I thought I'd try them last night to see what happened, and to see if my joint pain had just alleviated from so strictly avoiding sugar for the past few weeks...

Approx 1/2 cup of tomato puree + 1/2 hour later and WOW! My knees started to ache, then my hips! It kept getting worse and once an hour had passed felt just like it used to (almost all the time--I can't believe I lived like that!) So, I'm absolutely sensitive to nightshades in anything more than trace amounts. The pain lasted all night until I went to bed (I hate ache-y hips in bed!) Feel just about all better today--my knees feel sensitive but are not in bad pain.

I'm blown away. I honestly can't believe I endured this awful joint pain for at least my whole adult life without ever realizing this or making a change. Its INSANE how much this has impacted my quality of life before now. It's absolutely the reason I've loved yoga since the start (alleviated the joint pain a bit for me). I am really really amazed at how greatly I was impacted in such a short amount of time. I don't even want to trial any other nightshades in any large amount because the pain sucks so bad. CRAZY!!

I guess I should get started on some of those nightshade free recipes... And I will continue to work on getting all the trace nightshades out of my life as well to see how that makes me feel...

WOW!
                                It was a plate of mashed potatoes that really showed my the truth on nightshades. It took me 12 hours and then my right knee was so swollen my pants were tight on that knee. It was so painful. I lived with those swollen joints for years....what a waste.

It really is a pain to avoid them, but once you know what they are doing to you, it sure makes you think twice before cheating!

Comment

Working...
                                X