feeling a little guilty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling a little guilty

i did a IF today well not for long but i did manage to skip breakfast and for lunch I had a vegetable bowl of carrots and asparagus and chopped up grilled chicked on the side

but i made the mistake of snacking on M&M's so now i'm feeling a little guilty about it..what should i do when I have a sugar craving like that?? which by the way will be the most challenging part of adapting to the primal/paleo lifestyle.

.what should i do when I have a sugar craving like that??
    Eat fat. Relax. Your cravings will go away if you don't feed them!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by soul74 View Post
      i did a IF today well not for long but i did manage to skip breakfast and for lunch I had a vegetable bowl of carrots and asparagus and chopped up grilled chicked on the side

but i made the mistake of snacking on M&M's so now i'm feeling a little guilty about it..what should i do when I have a sugar craving like that?? which by the way will be the most challenging part of adapting to the primal/paleo lifestyle.
      No wonder you succumbed. I see ZERO fat in your lunch.

Eat something fatty, and resist the craving. Do this every time. Eventually there will be no cravings anymore - but you MUST NOT feed them!
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

what would be condisered fatty?? and what about proteins?? cause that was what the grilled chicken was for.

Comment

Instead of grilling chicken you could have pan-fried it in olive oil or coconut oil. Probably be more juicier than grilling. Add a salad to the meal with olive oil as a salad dressing. Add avocado in your salad for extra fat.

Comment

You need to go cold turkey on those processed sugars if you expect to lose the cravings. & EAT FAT!
            "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

put some avocado on top of that chicken, or fry it up in some bacon fat or smother it in a home made holandaise sauce - or all of the above! there's some fatty goodness for ya.

Comment

I know how hard it is, I wish it was as easy as just saying no. sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt. I havent found having more fat in my diet has helped me with this problem. But sometimes I will just look at something I would normally eat, (like at the chiropracter today, he has a big bowl of jellybeans on the counter) and stare at them and tell them loudly no, I do not need to eat you. Ok I look like bit of a dick sometimes (like at the chiro) but it helps me mentally! Either way, indulge in 2 seconds of guilt and then get back on the horse. Everyone falls off at some point along the way.

Comment

blueberries .... ???
                  avocado?
                  wrap the chicken in bacon ...

Comment

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                    But sometimes I will just look at something I would normally eat, (like at the chiropracter today, he has a big bowl of jellybeans on the counter) and stare at them and tell them loudly no, I do not need to eat you.
                    Funny you say this, my chiro is who got me into this. His office is my one safe haven!
                    Strong is the new Skinny!

Comment

What I said was that your breakfast had NO FAT, not that it was fatty. Ideally you should be eating 70-80% of your caloric intake from fats, and the rest from protein. A chicken thigh with the skin on would have been a lot better (and better tasting!) than a dry, tasteless grilled chicken breast.
                      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by soul74 View Post
                        what would be condisered fatty?? and what about proteins?? cause that was what the grilled chicken was for.
                        A whole roasted chicken with skin on.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                          What I said was that your breakfast had NO FAT, not that it was fatty. Ideally you should be eating 70-80% of your caloric intake .
                          Hey Griff, while I agree with the need for an appropriate amount of fat, I can't find anywhere that Mark recommends 70-80% fat. Not that I think it's a bad idea, PaNu and Peter's blog recommend higher fat than Mark does (70%+) and the Jaminet's recommend 65%ish but iirc, Mark tends to recommend 50-65%.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Mark's 70-80% recommendation for fat?

ETA: My book is out on loan and I couldn't find % recommendation in the definitive guide for fat

EETA: the following analysis from Marks definitive guide on what constitutes primal eating indicates approx 68% fat assuming 50g carb and the higher end of the protein recommendation.
                          Last edited by cillakat; 12-08-2010, 05:43 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...l-eating-plan/
                            At a minimum you need .5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass/per day on average to maintain your ďstructureĒ. If you are moderately active you need .7 or .8, and if you are an active athlete you need as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Thatís at a minimum, but itís on a daily average. So a 155 lb moderately active woman who has 25% body fat (and thus) has 116 lb of lean body mass needs 93 grams of protein on average per day (116 x .8). If she gets 60 or 80 some days and 110 on others, sheíll still be in a healthy average range. And even if she exceeds the 110, itís no problem if sheís eating low carb because the excess protein will convert to glucose, which will reduce her effective carbohydrate needs (see below). At 4 calories per gram, thatís between 320 and 440 calories per day in protein. Itís not that much.
                            Think about this: if protein and carbs stay fairly constant (and carbs stay under 150), you can use fat as the major energy variable in your diet. Feeling like you need more fuel (and youíve already covered your bases with protein and carbs)? Reach for something with fat. Nuts, avocados, coconut, eggs, butter, olive oil, fish, chicken, lamb, beef, the list is a long one. 100 grams of fats per day would only add 900 calories to our girlís daily average, putting her at between 1620 and 1940 calories a day. Even if she averages somewhere between 1400 and 2200 calories per day over a few weeks, as long as she pays attention to protein and carbs, her body composition will shift to lower body fat and more desirable lean mass. If she decides to do some walking, a few brief intense weight sessions and a sprint day here and there, that process would accelerate greatly. If she gets to a point where sheís content with her body fat, she can even add in a little more fat to provide energy that she previously got from her stored fat. The main thing Iíve figured out from eating this way for years is that I donít need nearly as many calories to maintain health, mass, and body fat as I once thought I did Ė or as the Conventional Wisdom says I do. I eat 600-1000 calories per day less than when I ate a carbohydrate-based diet, yet I maintain slightly lower body fat and slightly higher muscle mass on even less training. Remember: 80% of body composition is determined by diet. The best part is that I donít ever feel hungry because I base my eating on exactly what my 10,000-year-old genes want me to eat.

The idea in the PB is to limit your carbs to only those you need to provide glucose for the brain and for some reasonable amount (certainly less than an hour) of occasional anaerobic exercise. And the truth is, you donít even need glucose to fuel the brain. Ketones from a very-low carb diet work extremely efficiently at that task. Either way, ideally, we would like most of our daily energy to come from dietary or stored fats. Typically, (if you are at an ideal body composition now) I use a rule of thumb that 100-150 grams of carbohydrate per day is plenty to keep you out of ketosis (and ketosis is NOT a bad thing) but away from storing the excess as fat if you are the least bit active. Donít forget that your body can make up to 200 grams of glycogen from fats and protein every day, too. On the other hand, if you are looking to lose body fat, keeping carbs to under 80 grams per day will help immensely in lowering insulin and taking fat out of storage. On the other other hand, if you are insistent on training hard for long periods of time, you would add more carbs (say, 100 per day extra for every extra hour you train hard). It becomes a matter of doing the math and experimenting with the results.
                            Ironically, itís tough to exceed 100 grams of carbs even if you eat tons of colorful vegetables Ė as long as you eat like our ancestors and consume no grains, no sugars and few starchy vegetables (potatoes, yams, beets, legumes, etc). Even if you eat a ton of vegetables AND a fair amount of fruit, youíll be hard pressed to exceed 150 grams of carbs on average per day. Our remote ancestors couldnít average 150 grams of carbs a day if they tried, yet they had plenty of energy and maintained their lean mass. At 4 calories per gram thatís only between 400 and 600 calories per day. Add that in to the protein above and our sample girl is barely at 1,000 calories on the high end. So where does the rest of the fuel come from?

Comment

And WRT dealing with the cravings. Today, when I was dealing with my own sugar cravings, the following post from SerialSinner came to mind and was very helpful. While his experience was in regards to smoking, I found the advice to translate remarkably well - especially part (c).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...395#post146395
                              Originally posted by SerialSinner
                              @Trok: I smoked about 1.5 - 2 packs a day of Marlboro reds for like 10 years, so I can talk from a proper hardcore nicotine addict perspective. I haven't smoked in almost 3 years. No cravings or anything like that to date.

Here is what worked for me:
                              a) Make sure you are quitting, not "because you should", but because YOU want to.
                              b) Pick a time when you won't be following your daily routine, like an international flight for vacations, for example. This will help you avoid the "doing x" with smoking psychological association.
                              c) Once the time comes, quit. Notice I am not adding the word "try to". Decide that you will unequivocally quit and expect the worst. This is crucial as you wont be in a position when you are "trying to endure" the cravings. Picture that scene in trainspotting where the guy sees the baby crawling on the ceiling, and prepare to endure the worst. Notice I am not talking about fighting the cravings (where losing is by default a plausible scenario). Picture yourself in a beach, standing in front of a wave and preparing to get the hit. Just man-up and take it, it will be over soon.

My two cents, hope it helps.
                              Additionally, I have found it helpful to give myself permission to eat 'unlimited' amounts of primal food (not nuts and dairy, which are binge-y gateway foods for me), but veggies with butter, eggs, brisket etc. In some of the early days, that did equate with...oh...an intake of 5000 or so kcals over time this did regulate.
                              Last edited by cillakat; 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X