Starchy Carb Sources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starchy Carb Sources

I need some help finding sources of good carbs. I keep reading this over and over: "Oh if you are an athlete and need carbs, just eat sweet potatoes and bananas!". Then the next post says, "Don't eat fruit, focus on starches!" So basically the only starches I ever see are sweet potatoes and bananas... the latter of which apparently is not that great and should be avoided.

This leaves only sweet potatoes and I am sick of them. I have been eating one with my lunch daily now for a few weeks and I am bored to tears with them. What other good starchy carb sources are there that I can use to fuel my athletic endeavors? I can feel myself suffering during intense WoDs when my carbs are too low but I am having a hard time forcing myself to keep eating these goddamn tubers.

Please understand: I don't want to debate exercise habits or try to become a "fat-adapted" athlete. If you want to discuss that go to another thread... this is purely about good carb sources.

Do you eat any white rice?
    sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, I found this:
      This isn't necessarily about Paleo, but Robb Wolf is incorrect that starch replenishes glycogen better/more quickly than fructose. Fructose has no regulating steps for glycogen synthesis, while glucose from starch does. Because of that, fructose goes directly into the liver and is used directly for glycogen synthesis. Glucose, however, is limited by the enzyme hexokinase, which lets glucose into cells. That's why the HFCS in gatorade is actually beneficial for those endurance athletes during exercise. Many, many elite CrossFitters consume sugar or sugar sweetened beverages after an exercise because of this (i.e. chocolate milk, sports drinks). For me, I tend to drink juice, then drink milk, then eat my breakfast after a workout.
      This guy makes it sound like fruit is actually okay for hardcore athletes which goes against everything I've read on these forums... is there any merit to this? I am desperate for new carb sources here.

edit:
      Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
      Do you eat any white rice?
      No, but I have been considering re-introducing it. I had heard on a Robb Wolf podcast that rice, even though it is non-glutenous, can still cause gluten like reactions in many people. I am not averse to giving it a shot again.

Comment

Parsnips. Turnips. Jicama. Daikon. Lotus root. rutabaga. Jerusalem artichoke. water chestnuts. There's another one that I see at the market all the time and I've forgotten the name.
        Last edited by naiadknight; 12-08-2010, 08:28 AM.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Check out Anthony Colpo. He has some good info on diet and athletes and is completely against grain consumption.
          Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Wow, Anythony Colpo's site is fantastic, thank you for pointing this out! I will definitely be checking out one of his books.

Also, I had not thought about parsnips and turnips... I thought they were pretty damn low carb which was why I see them used to make dishes on low-carb forums. I do like turnips quite a bit though.

Comment

I don't think the carb levels are as high for those as they are for sweet potatos and white rice, but it's at least more carbs than standard primal veggies.
              ETA: a large turnip has 12 g, a c of parsnip slices has 24 g, 1 lotus root has 20 g. It's not as high, but it's still a decent amt.
              Last edited by naiadknight; 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                I don't think the carb levels are as high for those as they are for sweet potatos and white rice, but it's at least more carbs than standard primal veggies.
                Thats a very good point. You are an awesome cook, do you have any recommendations on easy ways to quickly prepare foods like turnips and parsnips before I start doing google-fu?

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                  Thats a very good point. You are an awesome cook, do you have any recommendations on easy ways to quickly prepare foods like turnips and parsnips before I start doing google-fu?
                  *Blush* I didn't think I was THAT good...
                  Turnips and parnips are my go to potato replacement in stews. You can also mash them, like you would white potatos. Following that logic, I'd be willing to bet you could just bake them and eat like a white potato, but I've never tried that one. Never tried to make fries of either one, either. Hashbrowning them MIGHT work, but they may not be gluey enough to hold together.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

I, for what it's worth, will hit the banana after a workout

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                      Check out Anthony Colpo. He has some good info on diet and athletes and is completely against grain consumption.
                      Thanks a bunch for posting that! Very interesting!

I think this goes back to this though: Eat for how you want to live/train.

Somebody like Rivvin that WANTS to do intense workouts, compete in CF, train in jiu-jitsu etc, HAS to consume more carbs! Ok, I’m not expert on the matter I’ll say that outright, but everywhere I turn high-level athletes are consuming high rates of both protein and carbs (take a quick look, it’s really hard to find otherwise, but I’m definitely willing to have a look at those that are VLC and doing intense workouts of similar intensity as those eating higher carb) the only time when I see otherwise are when athletes are in the process of cutting weight (I watch a lot of boxing docus/training camps, same with MMA nowadays) There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Rivvin’s desire to be highly active/competitive. There was a time when I got too “paleo” in my thinking that high level training was stupid, but now I think that’s just flat out dumb. If you want to be highly active and can do so safely, why shouldn’t you? To fit a paleo stereotype of low activity? Screw that.

However, the inverse is also true. A paleo eater that is not all that interested with constantly exterting themselves can do much better on a moderate to low carb diet.

I fall somewhere in between. I like daily exercise, but it’s only intense on certain days. I eat what I’d consider a moderate carb diet, mostly sweet potatoes, sometimes squash, but I’d say I eat sweet potatoes at least twice a week. My problem is that I love them and I could eat them all day long.

Riv: Have you tried different recipes for sweet pots? Try to make them less sweet by using spices and frying them. I love cubed potatoes with onions, absolutely amazing to me. Maybe there will come a time when I bore of them, but not yet.

Lastly, a quote from A. Colpo answering a reader’s question, the take-away is that he eats really good carbs:

“Carbohydrate Intake and Health
                      Hi Anthony,
                      Just a brief question: I remember in your old site ”The Omnivore” you said you were becoming sick because of an high-carb diet. Now that you’re back to a very high-carb intake, how can you maintain your health and retrospectively what do you think nowadays was the cause of your poor health back then?
                      Thanks
                      Daniel
                      Hi Daniel,
                      the main differences between now and then is that in my 20s I was eating a lot of wholegrain/wholemeal products to keep my carb intake up. As such, my anti-nutrient intake was quite high. About the only carb staple I consumed back then that I still eat now is sweet potato. The rest – wheat, rye, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, corn tortillas, etc – I either avoid entirely or eat very rarely.
                      I was also eating a very low-fat diet and definitely not getting enough n-3s. Fat helps slow gastric emptying and therefore tames the glycaemic response of carbs, so the lack of fat simply aggravated the blood sugar swings from the abundance of grain-derived carbs I was eating.
                      Now my carbs come from sources that are low GI and/or low in anti-nutrients – sweet potato, white rice, quinoa, taro, white potato, pomegranate, stewed fruits, etc.
                      I eat meats that are a little fattier than what I used to eat, and I also eat nuts, macadamia and olive oils, coconut, etc. I also supplement with fish oil every day.
                      Cheers,
                      Anthony.’
                      He’s pretty much as paleo as anybody here, but he keeps his carbs higher because he trains rather beastly. Rivvin, this site has stuff for you. I just started skimming the articles, seems tailor made for Paleo athletes.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Ah fug, did I just go and turn the thread around? Sorry! focus on the bolded part I guess.

Comment

I hadn't thought about quinoa or white potatos... but I have actually been thinking about adding white potatos back in after reading Mark's article on them a couple weeks ago. That is a great find, iniQuity, thanks! And no, you didn't turn the thread around, it's exactly in line for what I am trying to fix in my nutritional intake

It looks like white rice, white potatoes, quinoa and turnips are about to make their way back into my diet and I would be a liar if I said I wasn't a bit exited to enjoy these again.

Comment

Yukon gold FTW.

A friend who is in culinary school said over dinner (that she made) that Yukon Gold were more nutritious than Idaho (possibly just a tad bit) but that they were far more delicious. My mom gets Idaho exclusively, so gonna try some Yukon and see what’s what.

I have 24 hour access to white rice so I’m okay with not having that, or having it only every so often.

Riv, what’s your body fat like? You look pretty lean but are you 6-pack ripped? I ask cus I wonder if upping your carb intake will make you less lean. Doesn’t appear to be from Anthony, but I don’t work out THAT hard so I’m going to keep mine moderate and if my workouts suffer from it then I’ll up them. My goal is still to shed body fat though so I’m not trying to make drastic changes in my diet. I was actually considering a VLC/ketogenic approach where I’d do a carb reefed once or twice a week rather than PWO but now I’m confused again… seems like PWO makes the most sense though, and psychologically it’s nicer because I get to eat cubed sweet potatoes more often

Comment

Colpo has made me rethink things as I have hit my body fat goals. I am wanting to do more activity and gain more strength. I am adding more carbs and more starches to my diet as I increase my activity more and more. I am easily able to maintain my weight and size which completely blows my mind after balloning for the past 8 years.

My MIL just made a batch of Yukon Gold mashed potatos for Thanksgiving and they were great.
                              Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X