Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter to pre-school

Dear Sonship Pre-school,

Our daughter, Maya Urbina, will be attending your school and we would like to ensure that best efforts are made to keep her diet consistent with what she eats at home. We would like Maya to bring her daily snacks from home, and if any celebratory foods, such as cakes, are served to the class, we would like to know in advance.

After investing a great deal of time and energy in nutritional research, our family has chosen to deviate somewhat from the norm. Essentially, we have adopted a diet that prevents all processed carbohydrates, as we have sufficient evidence to believe that such foods are the primary cause of obesity, Type II Diabetes, and numerous other health problems.

Things we eat:

Fruits

Vegetables - (except for potatoes, especially french fries)

Nuts - (except for peanuts)

Dairy - (cheese, yogurt, full-fat milk preferably)

Meat

Things we don't eat:

Grains - pasta, rice, bread, crackers

Sweets - cake, candy, etc

Fruit juices

Low-fat dairy

Deep-fried anything

In general, we don't eat things that come in a box or a wrapper.

We greatly appreciate your understanding, and we hope this does not cause any complications for any of your staff. I am sure this is a challenge for you as much as it is for us. If there are certain foods that I should not pack in Maya's snack box, please let me know. Also, if there is any way I can help to make this easier for you, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Sofia Wahaj

Well written Sofia. I'm saving this post in my favorites for future use.

Comment

I don't have kids, but if I did I'd totally be using a copy of this letter for my kids. Who knows, maybe in the future. Very well written.

Comment

Way to take control, Sofia.

Comment

I LOVE this! (I also saved it).

Comment

You need to get on some parenting websites and post that. There will probably be lots of balking about the fruit juice and low-fat dairy products being on the list, but hey, just the NOTHING FROM A BOX requirement would be a huge step in the right direction for most people.

Comment

Awesome job. Kudos!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Awesome Job! your very brave to do that! I hope the school complies! xoxo Darlene

(it is soo hard to live in a carb laden world isn't it?)

Comment

I too agree with your letter. Never ever forget when you child goes into 'school' the parents have the 'say' first. I have always said, "I'm the mother I have 2 votes to your 1 vote".

Comment

I presume "Sonship" is a Christian school.

But your daughter is named Maya, a Hindu/Sanskrit term meaning, in the bottom line, "illusion."

I've no problem with such a paradox, just an observation.

Comment

Great letter. I am another that will save it.

Comment

Best of luck with this...I am just starting learning about Primal. My son started kindergarten this year after four years in a high-quality daycare where I complained about nothing but the food, which was cheap and highly processed. For legal reasons parents were not allowed to bring in ANY food from home, but I did not push the envelope either.

Comment

Sofia,

What can I say?

You ROCK!!!

Comment

I was so disgusted by the "hot lunch" served at the school today. (I'm a lunch monitor). Uncrustables packaged peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Trix yogurt (which was neon-colored swirls of pink and yellow) and packaged Rice Krispy bars.

Mom: "What did you have for lunch at school today, dear?"

Child: "I had SH-SH-SH-SH-SUGAR!!!!!!!" (Shouted while bouncing off the walls.)

Comment

Great stuff!

I actually live in Appleton, WI where we have one of the very few schools that eliminated all pre-made, pre-packaged, processed foods and cooks prepare every single lunch from scratch. Now, even though they do use some whole grains, it is generally much more nutritious option that you average "deep fried" or "out-of-the-box" lunch.

You might've heard about this school in "Supersize Me". They work with kids who have behavioral problems. This school is a hard-core proof that nutritious food does wanders with kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X