trader joe's bacon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trader joe's bacon

just tried it. truly amazing! really thick slices; nice and fatty. It's the uncured bacon. Highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.

+1. I thought it was pretty good, and about 1/2 the price of bacon at Whole Foods.

Comment

Yes, one of my favorites.
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
        +1. I thought it was pretty good, and about 1/2 the price of bacon at Whole Foods.
        I buy Wilshire Bacon from Whole Foods. No antibiotics in them. They go for approximately $6.99 a package here in California. How much does it cost at Trader Joes? If it is half of what I pay I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the info.
        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
          I buy Wilshire Bacon from Whole Foods. No antibiotics in them. They go for approximately $6.99 a package here in California. How much does it cost at Trader Joes? If it is half of what I pay I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the info.
          I think they run 3.99? a pack; my partner buys it on occasion. I get the turkey (scandal!), and that's 2.99.

Comment

Originally posted by unsuperb View Post
            I think they run 3.99? a pack; my partner buys it on occasion. I get the turkey (scandal!), and that's 2.99.
            Is that for a pound?! That would be amazing!

Comment

I live in San Francisco so prices are higher here. I think the TJs was like $4-4.59 for a 1 pound pack. But WF bulk bacon is up to $8 or maybe even $9/lb.

Comment

Thanks for the info TigerJ. I will check out TraderJoes this week and compare.
                "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I just took a look at the bacon's ingredients. please beware! there is sodium nitrite in it!! I have no idea how I missed it the first time... I just got back from Trader Joe's hoping to buy 4 or 5 more of their bacon and I decided to take a look at the ingredients, just for fun. and there it was! Sodium Nitrite... I'm so disappointed...

Comment

According to Mark here nitrite in bacon isn't necessarily a bad thing, as amounts are capped to safe levels.

Comment

My understanding is that if it says "uncured" it can't contain sodium nitrite as a specific additive. The uncured bacon I got from TJs does NOT have it. (Though I realize now it isn't TJ own-brand, it's Niman Farms or something like that).

HOWEVER.....all bacon has nitrites. Usually uncured bacon uses celery salt, which contains natural nitrites. There's an argument out there that artificial may actually be better because it's easier to make sure the exact right amount is used--not too much, and not so little that the meat goes bad.
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Just popping in to say: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Bacon!
                        My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

I looked at TJ's bacon the other day, but the only stuff they had had sugar in it

Comment

If it's uncured, it's usually nitrites from celery salt as lizch said. Not a huge deal anyway, at least in my opinion. The really thick bacon from TJ's is my favorite and it says uncured.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                              According to Mark here nitrite in bacon isn't necessarily a bad thing, as amounts are capped to safe levels.
                              Well then, in that case I'll continue eating my trader joe's bacon in peace. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X