No announcement yet.

Is it Always Frustrating at the Start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Always Frustrating at the Start?

I have made several attempts to start this diet, as I like the research and empirical evidence behind/surrounding it. I keep running into snags, and they all seem to be for different reasons. The first few times, people talked me into something that was particularly delicious and/or rare (regional foods, etc). Last night, it was this ravenous hunger that apparently came from out of nowhere, and I, like a fool, had not prepared and talked myself into a nacho snarf. I know I don't have to be perfect, but how do I get out of my own way? I have thought of telling people to consider it like vegetarianism, where you stop offering the person things they don't want, but other people are only part of the problem (me being the most of it). I'm not going to beat myself up over this, because I know it's a learning experience, but how did you successful PB-ers do this? Thanks.

I don't think it ever gets "easy." There will always be people in social settings trying to feed you food you don't want to eat. There is no getting around it. What gets easier, in my opinion, is that with time you get better at A. Saying no when you really don't want something and B. Accepting some of the things people give you as 80/20 without worrying too much about them. It is always important to not stress yourself out about it, which in my mind diminishes a lot of the benefit of eating this way.

Comment

I think you nailed the answer when you mentioned planning ahead. ALWAYS have something primal prepared and handy to get you through until your cravings diminsh and new habits form.
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Also, has anyone found an "induction phase" helpful, or is this unnecessary doing BP? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stizzorm View Post
          Also, has anyone found an "induction phase" helpful, or is this unnecessary doing BP? Thanks again.
          There does seem to be value in an Atkins-like "induction phase" in terms of bodyfat loss, but not everyone is the "cold turkey" type -- so if they try induction, they may suffer the ol' low carb flu and/or fail repeatedly and give up. Obviously, those people would have been better off to baby-step into primal and stay there. Other people prefer to tough it out all at once.

Either way works just fine. Consider your personality and decide what will work for YOU. Remember, the goal is not a crash diet, but a sustainable lifestyle.
          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Some people go cold turkey for a month. Google "Whole 30" for that approach. For you, that might be a good thing to try. Others ease into it gradually - I started out just cutting the grains, then started thinking about the oils, etc etc. That worked for me. Just like smoking, I think the method depends on the individual.
            BTW, "does it ever get easy" - yeah it gets very very easy to the point of being fun and a no brainer.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Take it one day at a time, if you fall off the wagon, get back on. It's no big deal unless you let it be...

Comment

I would say go 100% for just a few days and you'll be surprised, at least I was. I had intended to ease into things but, for me at least, the effects were amazing and almost instantaneous.

And, to quote Grizz in another thread, "you must eat fat." This is still the sticking point with me but among other things it will lead to satiety and stave off the hungry horrors. This is something I got more from this forum than the book.

I went to a reunion last week w/ a predictably bad Chinese buffet. I had a plate of turkey before I left the house and was able to start right in on the scotch as soon as I arrived. Most other functions should have at least something primal be it the roasted meat or cheese, and my favorite 20%, pumpkin pie.
                Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Having the occasional plate of nachos or meal out with your friends does not mean you are failing. Eat primal foods most of the time. The little slip ups are more of a mental problem than a physical one.

It is important though to develop a few primal staple meals and snacks and keep in the house all the time. I always have ground beef, avocados, almonds, and a few other items - so if I am ravenous and not prepared, I can eat some of those.

Also, it is very true that if you are eating a lot of fat with your primal meals, you will not be tempted by non-primal food. The fat changes that way your body craves food.

Good luck. Just stick with it, it will come.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Actually if I stray off course or gain a few pounds, I always do the Atkins induction for a while, but with primal foods. So I don't go over 20g of carbs a day. It is immensely helpful for getting rid of cravings and water retention and it is almost impossible not to lose weight this way. And yes, you should always plan ahead although it does get easier after a while.

Comment

The primal diet is basically a combination of meat, fat, and veggies. What I usually do is on the weekend buy a roast plus a few smaller pieces of animal protein: chicken, fish, ground meat, etc. On sunday the roast gets cooked and since I'm single it's good for several meals throughout the week. If I eat the other protein here and there the roast will generally last me the whole week, which means there's always something that's just about ready to be eaten in the fridge. Most days if I'm having it as a snack I don't even heat it up: did this with pork belly and the fat that was still there was like butter. Yum!

I never did too well with keeping snack-type foods at home since I am a snacker and will eat them even if I'm not hungry which means when I am hungry I might be out. I keep lots of eggs on hand since that's my main breakfast and they're great when I'm a little peckish: in 5 minutes I can have scrambled eggs and in 2 more minutes bacon to go with.

Right now for whatever reason I'm able to get most of my organic produce cheaper fresh than frozen. It works out great for me because I can rely on fresh veggies for my meals, and I've got the freezer stocked with a few bags of frozen in case I get absent-minded and allow myself to run out of fresh veg.

You're going to run into lots of different ways that people stay prepared and that's fine because everyone has different attributes they work with. I think the most important thing is to realize what is it that you have to work with and it sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on that. Knowing that you'll be able to evaluate how likely it is that a particular piece of advice might work.

Good luck and good health, and grok on!

Comment

Thanks for the supports, guys, it is appreciated!

Comment

For me, results begets more results.

Getting results as fast as possible ensures I stay on track, so I jumped into it 100%, and boy did the results happen.

Once you see your belt on the last hole holding up your pants which would otherwise fall straight to the floor, saying no to pizza or cake becomes a heck of a lot easier...

That's just me...

Comment

i guess it's all about your motivation level and how you deal with weakness. i feel the same way about people trying to quit smoking. either you want to or you don't. don't waste your time if you aren't gonna be truely committed. but i guess as long as you do the 80% rule like is outlined in the book, you should be fine.

Comment

Social settings can be difficult. If they're strangers or even friends I have no problem refusing...even it it means I have to tow the fine line between being very direct and being rude. I recently visited my 81 year old German great aunt and quickly learned that resistance was futile. I was able to finagle myself out of some really bad options, but since visits are extremely rare, I chalked up every piece of bread and pastrie to my 20% (for the next 6 months LOL) and just enjoyed the visit. She was really happy to feed us, so it was worth it to make her day. Fortunately the visit was short and I'm now back on track.

So, pick and choose your battles. You can usually find SOMETHING primal(esque) to eat at most functions or restaurants. Mostly, I would try to not make a big production about having a special diet and what I can/can't eat...Just order your meal or pick over the buffet in silence.

Cold turkey works best for me...
                              Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Working...
                              X