Chicken thighs vs Chicken breasts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken thighs vs Chicken breasts

Why the massive price difference? Today I bought four FREE RANGE chicken thighs at 3.80/kilo, instead of getting the chicken breasts that I normally get, at 9.40/kilo. That 9.40 is for caged chickens as well. Free range chicken breast was 13/kilo.

So what are the differences??

Randall

Probably has more to do with demand than anything else.

Comment

+1 Demand

There are likely more CW'ers (= more demand for breast meat) then PB'ers (= less demand for thigh meat).

Comment

Ah ok, well if demand is the reason I'll stick with the thighs and save some money, and eat free range!

There's no real nutritional/fat differences that would sway the CW'ers?

Comment

Since I've started cooking whole chickens most of the time, I really don't like the breast. I start with all the other parts and end up at the breast at the end, and don't want it. So I consider you lucky that the thighs are cheaper!

Comment

I think the breasts are lower in fat than the thighs. More succulent thighs for us!

Comment

I prefer thighs! Dark meat and more fat!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I prefer thighs! Dark meat and more fat!
                +1

According to CW, breasts have less fat and are therefore healthier. According to PB, thighs have more fat and more nutrients and are therefore healthier. (nutrients from blood & bone give the darker color & richer taste.) Price difference is due to resulting demand. Yay for us.

Comment

Chicken thighs are significantly better for Meatza!!!

Comment

This is great information. I am new here but man I have learned a lot in the last couple of days. I always liked dark meat with skin on it better then boneless, skinless chicken breast. But hubby is made cause he hates dark meat and only wants skinless, boneless breast! I use to only buy the breast but we were given a bag of bone in, skin on dark meat and I love it so much..so do the kids. So guess now i will be buying two different ones! Lots of money but got to keep everyone happy.
                    Forgiveness will free you

Diabetic, high cholesterol, spine fusion and living with daily pain but has hope for the future

Comment

I think that the thighs are better in many ways. Less expensive usually, ----dark meat hence juicer and more flavorful in my opinion, -----if you are feeding kids, they are a nicer size--adults that need to may always eat two,---there is a bone that can be collected and used for some stock.
                      Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Might want to also consider buying a whole chicken instead. Then you get everything
                        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I've been thrilled to be able to eat chicken thighs without guilt...my only problem is that my husband HATES bones in his chicken. he gives me such a hard time if I buy anything but boneless/skinless. maybe I'll just start buying boneless/skinless thighs instead of breasts, then we both win...

Comment

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                            Might want to also consider buying a whole chicken instead. Then you get everything
                            +10

Comment

I never buy chicken breasts anymore because a) they are expensive and b) more likely to dry out during cooking. I have found thighs nearly impossible to overcook unlike breast, due to the higher fat content. I generally buy them with the bone in and take it out myself (cheaper) and they are really easy to bone. Excellent cut for curries!

Comment

Working...
                              X