eating out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eating out

any advice for when you are eating out at a resturant????..what should you do if the menu isn't primal?? and is it ok to "cheat" every now and then?

dude, run a few searches, all your questions have been answered many many times. However, to answer you now, you should just try to make the best choices you can given the situation. I personally always choose something with meat in it, and (if I feel like it) ask for veggies instead of whatever it comes with. It's okay to cheat as well.

But seriously, I know you're new, but use the search feature.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

You'll probably have your membership revoked.

Just kidding. You can either write it off as your 20% or aim to be as primal as possible. Look for grilled steak salads, or cobb salads, or steak with a side of steamed veggies, etc. Just do what you can and don't sweat the rest.
      carl's cave

Comment

Meat and a salad.
        My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
        My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

lol i know i am asking a lot of questions but I am new to this forum/website so that's the only way I'll find the answers and besides i am looking at the search features and blogs as we speak.

Comment

iniQuity u sounded a little irritated by the questions i was asking..just trying to get a foot hold on this lifestyle that's all.

Comment

Eating out isn't a big deal. I don't understand why it causes so many people to freak. Meat and veggies. Most places, even if they don't serve steak (like my favorite pizza place), they at least serve salad. Even fast food places serve those.

Just try to stick to the plan as best you can. Special order items if you must- "I'd like the haddock, but can I have it broiled? or without breading?" Stuff like that.

I went to breakfast with my family the other morning. Not a Primal diner AT ALL. Still managed to get myself steak and eggs, ditched the pancake/french toast option in exchange for a side of bacon. Veggies were decidedly lacking on the menu. Could have done with a fruit cup but I don't care much for restaurant fruit.

Comment

I tell the waitress/waiter that I am deathly allergic to any type of grains. Once you get used to the looks, its pretty cool. If you want to cheat thata all in your head. You dont need to. Most resteraunts are used to "gluten free" tell them that & ask to substitute rice with extra veggies. I have not eaten a grain in over 8 months. It all in your mind.
                "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

breakfast is always another option. eggs & bacon are always good!
                  And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                  Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by soul74 View Post
                    iniQuity u sounded a little irritated by the questions i was asking..just trying to get a foot hold on this lifestyle that's all.
                    I didn't mean to sound irritated, I've just been on the forums for quite a while and have seen many new folks ask the same things. That's why I suggested searching first, chances are somebody's already asked the questions you have floating in your head is all I'm saying.

I just tried using the search for your question and didn't get any good hits so I guess I have to say I'm sorry.

Comment

Most restaurants are pretty nice about substituting veggies or something for non-paleo foods. On road trips, I stopped at Village Inn a lot, since they have a "Pick 4" breakfast option and it's pretty easy to pick paleo foods. I think I did something like scrambled eggs, fried eggs, sausage, and tomatoes.

I'll only cheat if it's a GOOD restaurant WORTH using my 20% on. Then again, I generally avoid eating at restaurants.
                      Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

So far I've found picking up a quick lunch when out is really hard - choice of sandwiches, pizza, pasties, pasta, noodles, sandwiches (hm, could there be a theme to this?) - but restaurants really easy. Meat/fish + veg/salad. No, no chips thanks, could I have extra salad instead? The other night I went to an Italian place with friends, and I did wonder if I'd be able to get anything, as I've only ever eaten pizza or pasta at Italian restaurants before. I was spoiled for choice, and ended up eating grilled salmon with a huge and beautiful salad.

Ditto on the 'cheats' - for the indescribable wonders of Maison Blanc patisserie, absolutely. For elderly chocolate tiffins sweating miserably in the snack shop window, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                          So far I've found picking up a quick lunch when out is really hard - choice of sandwiches, pizza, pasties, pasta, noodles, sandwiches
                          I agree there. Restaurants are way more manageable. I went to Panera bread for lunch the other day (alone, thank god, if I had been with friends I would've felt forced to eat) and I couldn't pick out ONE thing I actually wanted to eat. Everything was bread or some type of carbs, everything was whole grains. It. sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                            I agree there. Restaurants are way more manageable. I went to Panera bread for lunch the other day (alone, thank god, if I had been with friends I would've felt forced to eat) and I couldn't pick out ONE thing I actually wanted to eat. Everything was bread or some type of carbs, everything was whole grains. It. sucked.
                            I could have sworn they had a few salads that were acceptable. Did you check those out at all?

Comment

sounds like you have some good answers here. Surprisingly, I have GREAT luck at all-you-can-eat places. Most, like Golden Corral, offer lots of meat and veggies to choose from if you have the willpower to walk past the bad stuff. You might want to take a look at this option.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X