Results for thyroid, chol., Vit D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results for thyroid, chol., Vit D

Okay maybe someone can help me out here. I will go into to discuss results with dr. end of week or next week. Still waiting on saliva test for hormones and adrenals, but here is the blood results.

Cholesterol 223 (states out of range, high no other numbers listed)

D 60

Thyroid:
    Free T3 2.5 Range 2.3-4.2
    Free T4 1.6 Range .7-1.5
    Thyroid Peroxidase Auto Ab 523 0-35
    TSH 5.46 Range .40-5.00 endos. range is 3.0 max

So based on thyroid I am guessing that hypo.

What do I need to know about cholesterol?
    Last edited by betty74; 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM. Reason: add ranges

I'd like to see lab ranges before commenting on the thyroid numbers. That being said, one symptom of hypothyroidism is high(er) cholesterol.

Comment

Your D levels are good, as far as your cholesterol levels though... the number is pointless. The total cholesterol number is almost completely worthless in assessing your health so it's pretty much just money of yours that your doctor threw away. The bare minimum test for useful readings from cholesterol is one that tests HDL/LDL/Tri levels but there are even more accurate tests out there which specifically test the specifics of each of those subsets.
      "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
      -J.Stanton

Comment

My doctor did the same thing--ordered total cholesterol. What a waste of time and money! I have to think it's driven by the statin-pushers. Life is simpler and more profitable if the prescription pad comes out as soon as you're above one number. The whole HDL/fluffy LDL info must be exasperating for them!
        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I was surprised to see the overall cholesterol because my mom went to her and she tested everything... hdl/ldl

Comment

Well you clearly have Hashimoto's... your antibodies are insanely high

Comment

Definitely Hashimotos thyroiditis. When they help your thyroid your cholesterol should improve some too!
              Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

There is TOO much information on the web and much of it contradicts each other. Right now diet is an area I want to be clear in. Does anyone have a good link? Also I am reading that broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach are bad for hypothyroid. These are foods I eat ALL the time. Are they okay cooked?

Comment

Betty... start with about.com , google Mary Shomon and read her stuff on thyroid. She has a newsletter as well.

I eat all of those foods... from what I've gathered, cooking makes a big difference and makes them less goitogenic. I don't eat them every single day though... I rotate them through just so I don't overload.

I know it's all seriously overwhelming. But just take it one step at a time, and it will come. If you go to the groups section on this website, there's a thyroid group. Look through the posts (there's not that many) but there are a few recommendations, websites and links to get you started.
                  sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Thanks Minxxa! I did search through some of the posts. I will check out the group too.

Comment

Betty, since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, you have to think in terms of balancing the immune system so it will stop attacking the thyroid. I'm getting good results for my Hashimoto's with Datis Kharrazian's protocol. I highly recommend getting his book asap, since he has the most in-depth knowledge of Hashimoto's and thyroid treatment in general.
                      If you email his site, they will send you a list of practitioners trained in functional endocrinology
                      www.thyroidbook.com

Seriously, it's helped me SO much- I have way more energy and way less brain fog!!
                      PS- 95% of Hashimoto's sufferers are gluten intolerant and eating gluten can cause a cytokine storm lasting up to 6 months, so there's a great reason to be diligent in avoiding gluten! Also, don't take iodine- it can increase the attack on the thyroid by increasing TPO production, which will increase TPO antibodies.
                      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                        Betty, since Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, you have to think in terms of balancing the immune system so it will stop attacking the thyroid. I'm getting good results for my Hashimoto's with Datis Kharrazian's protocol. I highly recommend getting his book asap, since he has the most in-depth knowledge of Hashimoto's and thyroid treatment in general.
                        If you email his site, they will send you a list of practitioners trained in functional endocrinology
                        www.thyroidbook.com

Seriously, it's helped me SO much- I have way more energy and way less brain fog!!
                        PS- 95% of Hashimoto's sufferers are gluten intolerant and eating gluten can cause a cytokine storm lasting up to 6 months, so there's a great reason to be diligent in avoiding gluten! Also, don't take iodine- it can increase the attack on the thyroid by increasing TPO production, which will increase TPO antibodies.
                        I almost avoid gluten, but have cheated at times. I didn't realize till researching yesterday that is can stay in the system for 6 months.

Can you give me an idea of his protocol? I plan on getting the book, but can't till later and I am impatient. lol

Comment

Originally posted by betty74 View Post
                          I almost avoid gluten, but have cheated at times. I didn't realize till researching yesterday that is can stay in the system for 6 months.

Can you give me an idea of his protocol? I plan on getting the book, but can't till later and I am impatient. lol
                          It involves eliminating gluten (and possibly casein, but casein isn't as crucial as gluten), optimizing D levels (he likes to see D on the higher end for autoimmune patients), applying a transdermal glutathione/SOD cream to reduce inflammation and improve liver function (we convert a lot of our T4 to T3 in the liver) and omega 3's.

Another big part is identifying th1 or th2 dominance, which are 2 arms of the immune system response. Hashimoto's patients tend to be dominant in one, so the other is stimulated to balance it, like a seesaw. This is a big part!

Other aspects of the protocol are blood sugar regulation, liver health, adrenal health and gut health. He basically recommends a Primal-type diet. It's very comprehensive.
                          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

updated to add salvia results

I got my saliva test back today. I have an appointment Wednesday morning to talk to the doctor about everything. Any questions, comments, etc. I should be asking.

Hormone test:
                            Estradiol .5 Range 1.3-3.3
                            Progesterone 44 Range 75-270
                            Ratio Pg/E2 88 Range 100-500
                            Testosterone 19 Range 16-55
                            DHEAS 4.3 Range 2-23

Cortisol Morning 11 Range 3.7-9.5
                            Noon 2.1 Range 1.2-3.0
                            Evening 1.6 Range .6-1.9
                            Night .6 Range .4-1.0

Basically the report said Estradiol was low but symptoms characteristic of both estrogen dominance and deficiency. Suggest that saliva was collected during an anovulatory cycle (I will have to google to see what that means).

Progesterone is low. Also says low progestrone contributes to estrogen dominance symptoms.

Testosterone low, but in range.

DHEAS low-normal.

Cortisols suggest low adrenal reserves.

So basically all systems are messed up. lol

I bought a couple of books, but my focus/attention level isn't the greatest and I am basically skimming them. I have Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson. Feeling fat, fuzzy, or frazzled by Richard and Karilee Shames. The store didn't have the other one that was mentioned so I will have to order it.

Right now this is what I am doing for supplements.
                            Magnesium Oil - 4 sprays just started about 4 days ago. I was taking an oral, but ran out and thought I'd try the oil.
                            Multi-Vit.- just purchased Costco's preformance one. Was taking a different one before
                            D3- 5000 UI
                            Free and Easy Wandered Plus- female chinese herbal
                            Calcium- 600

Okay I am open to comments and/or suggestions.

Comment

Updated and bumping

Comment

Working...
                              X