Toast & Butter...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toast & Butter...

I have been 'mostly' primal for over a year and have all the usual accolades of lost weight, lost migraines, found energy etc but my husband has not made the same transitiion yet and I wonder when I make him toast and add loads of butter, am I doing him more harm than good? I figure the butter is a good fat for him but does the grain/carbs negate any positive effect? If someone isn't primal, what effect do the good fats have? Is it still a benefit? thanks for any insight (or reassurance) anyone can provide!

I feel for you because I have the same situation.

Yes, the butter is good. But the toast is BAD. If you want to minimize the gluten effects, you have to make long-ferment sourdough.

Here's an interesting article: http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog...n-intolerant-2

The author talks about the antinutrient content of bran and germ and why she doesn't use "whole grain" also.
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Simply speaking:
      High Fat/High Carb BAD
      High Fat/Low Carb GOOD
      Low Fat/High Carb OK
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Simply speaking:
        High Fat/High Carb BAD
        High Fat/Low Carb GOOD
        Low Fat/High Carb BAD
        Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Originally posted by K.ROB View Post
          Low Fat/High Carb BAD
          There are some studies of equatorial folks who eat a high carb/low fat diet and thrive, so I would not classify this as BAD--at least not without more data.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

It's undoubtably better than high-carb/high-fat, but may still present problems. I think you're right, Dragonfly; it's ok, but it's far from optimal.

Comment

My mother always said that she wasn't a short order cook. Or as someone quoted Steven Wright here, my mom only made 2 things: "take it or leave it."

Are you actually cooking two sets of food, one primal and one non? This guy can't toast and butter his own bread?
              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                My mother always said that she wasn't a short order cook. Or as someone quoted Steven Wright here, my mom only made 2 things: "take it or leave it."

Are you actually cooking two sets of food, one primal and one non? This guy can't toast and butter his own bread?
                I totally agree!
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post

lol

Comment

I used to eat a high carb low fat diet. I got into the WAPF style diet before I found out about primal and added a lot of fat to my diet (mostly butter) without cutting carbs a whole lot (I cut back on sweets somewhat). When I started eating more fat I found it a lot easier to keep from gaining weight and solved my blood sugar problems. Just my experience, but for me adding fat was a good thing.
                    Last edited by Camelia; 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Every single one of those damning studies that show the severely harmful effects of eating high amounts of fat are done on people following a high carbohydrate diet. In such cases similar trends are not seen when the carbohydrates are removed. IE: yes you probably shouldn't be heaping a whole bunch of fat onto an already unhealthy diet, the liver/pancreas/stomach/gallbladder just can't handle it. Consumption of copious amounts of carbs can unfortunately turn almost anything unhealthy.
                      "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                      -J.Stanton

Comment

I found that whenever I do half hearted attempt at eating primally, i.e. eating some primal meals mixed in with some high carb non-primal meals I would gain weight rapidly. That's what actually really encouraged me to be more strict with food, as I realised I couldn't have the best of both worlds. Once I did that, the weight has been dropping off quite quickly.

But on the other hand, when I eat fruit I find I feel hungry soon after, but if I have a small portion of fruit with some full fat greek yoghurt I don't get any carb cravings, and feel satisfied. So maybe it depends on where the carbs are coming from?

Comment

Can you make coconut or flax bread?

Coconut: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-flour/
                          Flax: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117613991 (I made this using coconut oil)
                          My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                          My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Just don't buy bread. I do the shopping in my family and my wife hasn't completely got on board with the Paleo/Primal lifestyle, but she doesn't really have a choice. Only Paleo/Primal food is stocked in our house. She always eats bread and stuff when she eats out though.

If its not available, they can't eat it.
                            Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Actually, I believe that the issue with BREAD here isn't the fact that its high carb, more to the fact that its made from GRAINS?

sweet potato and yams etc are high carb too, but they are ok because they are vegetables!
                              Started PB 18 July 2010

-18.5 lb/ 8.4 kg as of 20 Dec 2010

Goal: to lose lose all my belly fat!

134.9/116.4/no goal weight, just visible abs!

going Primal works! ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X