Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snacks, Snacking & Giving in to temptation

Ok

I've been doing this primal thing half-assed for about 1 week. I'm finding it very hard to stop snacking on things like bags of crisps/chips (1-2 bags a day, 100 calories each). I'm doing this purely because I am unsure as to what paleo-esqe snacks are allowed if any. I'm guessing carrots are ok ?, I'm unemployed and live at home with my parents so I don't have much money to spend on food. What are some cheap snacks I can buy ?.

On another note, is the whole snacking thing a phase that will pass if I commit to primal eating for a decent amount of time ?.

Stop snacking.

Eat rich primal meals that leave you full so you don't have to. You'll be amazed how unappetizing a bag of chips ends up sounding.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Raw vegetables, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, beef jerky, coconut and dark chocolate all make for good primal snacking foods. Eggs are particularly cheap and filling.

I very rarely feel the urge to snack anymore. If I eat, I'm going to eat, not nibble. Once your lifestyle and eating habits are more under your control it is something you should be able to move on from. You're probably just experiencing carb withdrawal. If that's the case, eat as much primal food as you need to to keep from giving in to the cravings. If it's not that however and you're really that dependent on snacking, try eating bigger meals.

Comment

Eggs are cheap. Hard boil a couple dozen of them. If you want a snack, have an egg. Or two, or three. Whatever it takes to satiate you...but only eggs. The lack of variety will help you identify when you're actually hungry vs. when you just want to eat.

Combine this approach with 2-3 big meals comprised of protein (meat) and veggies (a variety) cooked in healthful fats, and you're golden.
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a decent sized dinner today so I'm hoping that will stave off the hunger for a bit longer. If I desperately need a snack I will have a carrot or an egg or two. I already have around 2 eggs a day, I'm guessing its a myth that the yolks are bad for us ?.

Comment

YES, it's a myth that yolks are bad. They're fantastic.

The whole idea of snacking only on eggs is that you're snacking ONLY on eggs. No variety (even carrots). No options. If you're genuinely hungry, an egg snack will sound fine. If you just want to eat, it'll sound boring and unappealing -- so you know you don't really need food.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for months on end, because it is possible to develop intolerance to any food you overconsume, but it won't hurt you to do it for a few weeks until you get a handle on this snacking thing.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I had to wean myself from snacking obsessively. I just kept reminding myself that I live in one of the richest, fattest countries in the world, and that I could survive for weeks if I didn't eat another bite. Then I'd sip some tea or have some water and wait til the next meal. Pretty soon I no longer had the urge to snack. It also took me a bit to recognize the difference between low blood sugar and actual hunger. Once my blood sugar no longer fluctuated wildly - the urge to snack stopped being as urgent. And now I can actually forget to eat at all - this is not something I ever thought would happen to me of all people.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree that it's best to train yourself not to want snacks. However if you really want a snack, pork rinds are also an acceptable one.

Comment

Where is the post that says, 'Eat more fat'?

OK, I suppose this is it.

Also - drink water. It's easy to mistake thirst for hunger. And yes, the desire to snack will go away - or hunger between meals will, anyway.

Comment

@Barbiegirl, brilliant idea! Eating just one thing (one VERY good thing, in the case of eggs) whenever you feel like you might be hungry sounds like a great way to identify if you truly are hungry or not.

I hardly ever snack. I like to look forward to good meals.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Half-assed Primal doesn't work either. It won't work as intended, and the tendency is to blame the program rather than personal habits. Give it a try with no cheats for AT LEAST 2 weeks. I am willing to bet your habits will have already changed after that time frame and you'll be open to extending it.
                      Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by New Renaissance View Post
                        Half-assed Primal doesn't work either. It won't work as intended, and the tendency is to blame the program rather than personal habits. Give it a try with no cheats for AT LEAST 2 weeks. I am willing to bet your habits will have already changed after that time frame and you'll be open to extending it.
                        +1

To put myself as an example, I was strict my first month of primal living and slowly cut out bad things but made it a point to eat the good stuff. I lost and I lost and I lost… then I got complacent… I was happy where I was but I knew I wanted to lose more and improve my body composition (going after “that look” for vanity purposes and for athletic performance, it’s hard to do the things I want to do when you have too much fat hanging around) so I decided to scale back on the “intensity” so I ate primal most of the day but I developed a very bad habit of snacking at night (I want to blame marijuana, but even under the influence I’ve made GREAT choices of either not eating at all or eating good primal stuff, mashed avocado or whatever) so it was all ME, not the drug habit.

It got really bad with me, the smoking and snacking, so I got nice and angry and decided to get serious about my health and goals. I cut out everything and embarked on Whole30, I’m halfway done (day 14) but already it’s changed a lot about me. I know now that snacking is a very mental thing, a habit really, and it can be broken. Be patient with yourself but don’t kid yourself either! You are capable of change if you want to change. Now I’m developing better habits. I’m not saying I’ll never do things I was doing before (I fully look forward to being able to smoke again, which may not be the right mindset but believe it or not, my workouts are BRUTAL when I’m high more so than when I’m sober, I know too that this is purely a mental thing and I can push myself just as hard sober, but maybe this is still a personal weakness but I ENJOY it more so I figure what the hell, as long as I don’t eat shit, working out high is the least harmful thing I can do under the influence…) but I think thanks to this whole30 experience and learning my potential I’ll make smarter decisions in the future and hopefully that old but all-too-familiar image of iniQuity snuggling up with a few bags of chips on any given night won’t be happening again.

POWER ON GODDAMN IT !!!
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I've always been a mindless snacker. I had to incorporate IF into the mix to realize the snacking, even though on "good" things was really hindering my progress. I know now, that snacking is completely a mental habit, regardless of the quality.
                          Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Pickles are my go to snack

Comment

kale chips are cheap, easy, & very yummy!
                              And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                              Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X