Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to recover after eating processed carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recover after eating processed carbs?

Hi folks,

I'm still new to being primal, and last night I tripped up. I went to a restaurant, then I ate a slice of bread and a baked potato with my meal. This morning I'm feeling groggy and lethargic.

What should I do today?

I'm planning to do some heavy lifting at the gym, but should I eat before or after working out? Should I IF for the whole day today? What else will help with the recovery?
    Last edited by KataiBates; 11-26-2010, 06:32 AM.

Some heavy lifting is a good plan to sort things out. A forced and uncomfortable fast beyond that might be a bad idea; lame as it sounds, let you hunger/body's needs be your guide. But stick strictly to primal grub to fill that hunger. You'll pop up fine. Amazing what a little gluten will do to ya, imagine living in that fog your whole life like the rest of those around you?

Comment

Just eat Primally like you normally would. No special effort required.

Comment

Thank you, both! I'm off to the gym now, and if I'm hungry later I'll cook up some primal fare

Comment

Lift and let live
          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

A couple of lousy stuffed shells and I feel like I was punched in the gut. I simply don't understand how I was able to scarf down all those carbs for all those years and suddenly, after 7 weeks w/o eating them, they are making me sick. Lesson learned. I learned the same lesson with Yukon Jack 30 years ago and haven't had it since.
            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Eat primally today, drink LOTS of water, and be nice to yourself.
              Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

As Diana and Griff said. It's not a good idea to be swinging from one extreme to the other via a forced fast.

There's NO way I could lift "the day after." If you are feeling like total crap and weak, then walk away from it. Another day.
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

===
                  Last edited by Ms. Fai; 10-08-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Fai View Post
                    What exactly is a forced fast? If I eat too many carb one day, I find I get crazy carb cravings for days after. IF seems to help stabilise my cravings.
                    Maybe it's the motivation behind it...think punishment?

Comment

Go for a long walk, drink some kombucha tea, and take a nap. :]

Comment

===
                        Last edited by Ms. Fai; 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianne View Post
                          Maybe it's the motivation behind it...think punishment?
                          YES, THIS.

I see it as akin to gunning the engine, then slamming on the brakes, gunning the engine, then slamming on the brakes.

I have a friend who has been doing this crap for years and now has a full-fledged eating disorder. I cringe and grit my teeth everytime he starts talking about "being a phoenix," and I know it means he's been bingeing and starving himself.

This is a *completely* different thing from IFing. I IF all the time, but I wouldn't dare attempt it after a binge. Easy.does.it.

If things are wobbly "the day after," eat half a pack of bacon. It works surprisingly well.
                          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

That's easy: Don't eat carbs today!

I had some stuffing, potatoes and chocolate yesterday, and I still felt great. But I'm not pressing my luck; back to meat and veggies today.

Had my psycho medicine-ball slam workout this morning, followed by eggs with salsa. Then I went shopping, then I had turkey and cabbage soup:

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Fai View Post
                              Ok, but what if you don't have that motivation? I find IF relatively easy so it's hardly what I'd call a punishment.
                              If you don't have that motivation then that comment about forced fasting doesn't likely apply to you. I am familiar with the binge/starve cycle and the concept of forced fasting makes complete sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X