Cool "Grass-Fed" Site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool "Grass-Fed" Site

Found a cool site today with lots of fun little articles about the superiority of grass-fed and pastured beef, eggs, chickens, and lots of other foods.

Apologies if you guys have already seen it, but it's new for me. Makes me feel a lot better about my pig-out today (hey, I worked out super hard at the gym!).

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

kuno1chi, where do you find grass-fed meat in the city? Whole Foods? Due to financial constraints, I tend to buy whatever grain-fed meat I can from either Lucky's or Costco. I do buy bacon at Trader Joe's, but am under the impression that while their meat contains less hormones, it is still grain-fed ("vegetarian diet," which still means corn or whatever).

Comment

hfox,

I go to Whole Paycheck for beef and chicken, usually TJ's for their frozen fish. I go to Salama Halal Market (Jones and Geary) for Goat. I'm not a bacon eater (I know, I'm a heretic!), because it makes the house smell like bacon, and my BF is Muslim (he says it doesn't bother him, but I feel strongly).

Definitely feel you on the financial constraints!

Gotta be super-selective-it ain't cheap to eat this way...but it's cheaper than the Prozac, blood-pressure and blood-sugar meds my Doc almost had me taking :-D

Comment

Thank you so much for more of these helpful local recommendations!

My family mostly eats a lot of garbage so our house is much more likely to be filled w/ "organic" poptarts, "juice" from concentrate, or "healthy" bread and pasta rather than with nutritious, quality food. In a lot of ways, we shatter many of the typical SF stereotypes.

I'm still trying to learn where to go to stock up on decent food--in a city that is so often regarded as a healthy food destination in the U.S.!

Comment

The good stuff is out there...in amongst all the crap foods that most people eat, even in SF!

Think of it as modern-day foraging ;-)

Comment

For SF bay area folks: I buy ground grassfed beef for $5/pound at the farmer's market from Marin Sun Farms. It's local, delicious, and the best price I've found on grassfed beef anywhere. I buy it in Marin at the Sunday Civic Center farmer's market, but they also have a spot at a Saturday farmer's market in SF at the Ferry Building. They also sell pastured eggs and chickens, among other goods. Their web site is at http://www.marinsunfarms.com/

If I can't pick up Marin Sun Farms beef (which is rare, I'm usually well-stocked), I get the grassfed ground beef from Trader Joe's for $6/pound. It's marked as "natural," I believe, with "100% grassfed" written underneath.

Comment

Just wondering, is organic meat generally the same as grass-fed, or does it at least yield similiar benefits?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

If beef is marked as only "organic," it is likely still grain fed -- just fed organic grains. Its fatty acid profile will still be pretty bad, and not really any different than "non-organic" beef.

There are some food chains that label grass-fed beef as just "organic" -- Whole Foods, for example -- but generally, if you want grass-fed, look for it to say "100% grass-fed" on the label.

If a grass-fed cut isn't marked as "100% grass-fed," it likely means the cow ate grass all its life except for the time leading up to its slaughter, where it ate grains to fatten up a bit. Just a little bit of time eating grains skews the fatty acid profile of the meat, so stick with 100% grass-fed.

Comment

I was going to go to a health food store today, Native Sun, and noticed that on their website they list all their meat as "organic", with no hormones or antibiotics. I suppose I should ask them if any of it is actually grass-fed...That stuff is so dang hard to get a hold of!

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Another question to ask, is not only is it grass-fed, but is it grass-finished. Grass-finished means the cow ate nothing but grass until it went to the slaughterhouse.

Comment

Helen is right on. If it's not grass-finished, its fatty acid profile will be similar to a cow that ate grain all its life. As far as I understand, anything labeled "100% grass-fed" is grass-finished.

Comment

another good site would be grassfedtraditions.com

check it out!

Comment

Farmer's Markets in Los Angeles have a seller who sells "Grass Finished" beef. I bought some when I first started, but then I read their brochure... they feed their cows Barley at some point... When you ask if they are 100% GF, they say "more importantly, you should ask if its grass finished!!", and then you realize later they never answered the question.

I can't even find another stand at the farmer's market that sells 100%GF beef... how strange is that?? They do have a 100GF bison stand, which is amazingly delicious, but much more expensive at 9 bucks a pound.... Whole Paycheck sells 100GF beef for about 6.50 a pound - so i go there sometimes.

Comment

Chris -

$5/lb is unbelievable! I just paid $24/lb for some 100% grass fed beef. Granted it's a 2" thick tenderloin and tastes absolutely amazing....but dang, it's hard on the wallet.

Comment

SuperTarget markets (well, mine anyway) sell a small amount of grass-fed meat (ground beef and bison, at least). Might be worth checking if there's one near you.

Comment

Working...
                              X