Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, drop the other shoe! (Avocados aren't paleo?!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, drop the other shoe! (Avocados aren't paleo?!)

DAMMIT!

"Tuck" in Barefoot Ted's Google group just dropped this bombshell on us.
    Avocados were domesticated into their current form within the last 100 years. They're about as un-paleo as it's possible to get. They also have pretty high levels of linoleic acid.

I discovered this buy eating an avocado a day at lunch, and wondering why I was starting to put on weight again...

But I'll throw 1/2 an avocado into a salad once in a while. But now I'm at maybe an avocado a week, rather than 1 a day. They are tasty...

Okay, what ELSE out there are noobies likely to think are primal, but arent?!
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

In terms of modern fruit and veg, nothing NOTHING is strictly paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by lcme View Post
      In terms of modern fruit and veg, nothing NOTHING is strictly paleo.
      Ah, yes. I think I see what you mean. I bought some tiny, heirloom organic carrots at the local farmers' market this summer--they were purple! I think the orange ones were 'bred' in the 1400's or something?

Comment

Wait, so Barefoot Ted is sure that the avocados were making him fat because they were domesticated comparatively recently, and not because they have 250 calories each? I think he is missing a much simpler explanation

Wilberfan, I strongly recommend reading one of my favorite, favorite articles about what is or isn't "paleo": http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...principle.html
        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Well, it wasn't Ted (just for the record)--but thanks for the link. So much to process when you're new at this!

Comment

Originally posted by wilberfan View Post
            DAMMIT!

"Tuck" in Barefoot Ted's Google group just dropped this bombshell on us.

Okay, what ELSE out there are noobies likely to think are primal, but arent?!
            Uh. They are primal. They just aren't paleo. *shrug*

Originally posted by theholla View Post
            Wait, so Barefoot Ted is sure that the avocados were making him fat because they were domesticated comparatively recently, and not because they have 250 calories each? I think he is missing a much simpler explanation
            +1 hoofbeats usually = horses, not zebras

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
              Uh. They are primal. They just aren't paleo. *shrug*
              And I, of course, don't understand the difference...

Comment

The way I see it -----
                primal---either first or necessary. Water is primal--required. Apples are primal--first --if that is what some real Eve really ate.

paleo---something before the days of agriculture. Fresh mastadon steaks. Auroch roasts. Whatever berries and roots they used back then.

Aside. Just about none of our current fruits, vegetables, etc. nor even our meat is paleo. Everything is changed. Also, I imagine that for some people Twinkies are primal (necessary).
                Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by wilberfan View Post
                  And I, of course, don't understand the difference...
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats...mal-and-paleo/
                  sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Working...
                  X