Ethiopian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethiopian?

You're going to an Ethiopian restaurant...what do you do?

First of all get look for a protein source. Then gander around the menu and see what the vegetable options are for other entrees; this way you can see what the restaurant has in stock. Make substitutions as needed if they allow it.

Comment

Well at Ethiopian restaurants there are no utensils, you eat everything with your hands or on a sponge like bread made of teff, an ancient grain. What you said was nice of you but is pretty logical.

Comment

Well then, eat a hearty meal beforehand and hope they have stew.

Comment

Is that not logical as well? =)

I guess teff can't be too bad....it's an "ancient grain..."

Comment

Myself having never eaten Ethiopian food before I would relax and enjoy the experience even if it includes bread.

If you really don't want to eat bread then ..... ......

Do you have a grain intolerance you need to tell the restaurant about? Wink wink

Otherwise call it your 20% and don't stress

Comment

I second Mozzy's idea. This will be a new experience and practice at the ancient art of moderation, which is useful in many things besides eating. =)

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                Well at Ethiopian restaurants there are no utensils, you eat everything with your hands or on a sponge like bread made of teff, an ancient grain. What you said was nice of you but is pretty logical.
                I don't see why eating with your hands immediately means you "have" to eat the teff; I eat with my bare hands all the time, just because people don't usually eat steak/chicken/pork/whatever meat straight with their hands doesn't mean you can't.
                My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Well, this post got me intrigued about Ethiopian food and lo and behold there is a restaurant in my area, however, their bread is not made from Teff but from rice flour which I don't fancy :-(

Originally posted by Adventure8410 View Post
                  I don't see why eating with your hands immediately means you "have" to eat the teff; I eat with my bare hands all the time, just because people don't usually eat steak/chicken/pork/whatever meat straight with their hands doesn't mean you can't.
                  I think the bread is to soak up the juices. The dishes serverd on bread look a little "sloppy" and moist.
                  Last edited by mozzy10; 11-23-2010, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I agree; the teff really doesn't make things any neater. There is no reason at all that you can't pick up just the blobs of meat and veggies with your bare hands. (You will miss many of the juices that way. Maybe you could sneak in a couple of coconut pancakes to soak it up.) Personally, since I'm not celiac, I eat the teff.

Comment

Eat whatever appeals to me!

Don't forget PB is 80/20 adherance which allows you room for "treats". I'd say experiencing an Ethiopian Restuarant fits in the 20%

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                        His advice still works. Pick the "meatiest" entree you can find that also sounds good, eat all the meat, if you want to try the teff go for it and if you don't then just use your hands.

When I eat at some Asian places and don't feel like fumbling around with the chopsticks I ask for a fork, then everybody looks at me because I'm not being "cultural" but screw that, I'm trying to eat here not give my fingers a workout. Are you Ethiopian? No, then eat however you please.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Kitfo! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitfo

I got this when I went to an Ethiopian restaurant and it was delicious! I wasn't fully primal when I went (over 2 years ago), so I ate copious amounts of teff. It had a nice sourdough type flavor; i think it's often fermented like sourdough and not quite as terrible as straight wheat flour bread (plus teff is not a gluten grain of course). I guess this would put it in the same category of white rice; a grain, but one of the less harmful ones (possibly, don't take my word for it!).

I know it goes against tradition, but maybe you could just ask for a fork or spoon if you REALLY want to avoid the teff.

Comment

Yeah, I would just ask for a utensil if I was concerned about the teff flour. I'm sure they have one and won't mind if you ask nicely. I typically just eat the bare minimum amount of injira necessary to pick up my food, since it is fermented, gluten-free, and fun.

Most Ethiopian restaurants I've been to give you a main dish along with two sides. Choose a meat stew for a main dish, and sides that are not made from legumes like lentils or peas - typically you can get collard greens or a nice mixture of potatoes, green beans, carrots, and cabbage.
                            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

bring your own fork.
                              sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Working...
                              X