Opinions on Quorn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Quorn?

I was wondering if anyone here has any info/opinions on Quorn?

I usually eat it about once a week as my partner is a vegetarian. I make spaghetti bolognese and it's an easy meal that we can share. I don't have spaghetti though, I have veggies and bolognese

Could Quorn be considered a primal food? Does it belong in my 80 or 20? Is it doing me any harm? Is it doing me any good?

What are your goals?

I want to say that eating it once a week is no big deal, but it's that heavily processed frozen food that makes vegan/vegetarian lifestyle so unhealthy if it's all they eat.

You're talking about Quorn the brand of frozen foods right?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

20% for sure. All kinds of wheat and bad oil.

Comment

Ingredients for Quorn "Chik'n Tenders":

Mycoprotein (78%), rehydrated egg white, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract (I don't know what this is). Contains less than 2% or less of salt, pea fiber, natural flavors from non-meat sources, citric acid, calcium lactate, canola oil, gum arabic, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Not Primal...
        Last edited by Cavebot 3.0; 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
          Ingredients for Quorn "Chik'n Tenders":

Mycoprotein (78%), rehydrated egg white, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract. Contains less than 2% or less of salt, pea fiber, natural flavors from non-meat sources, citric acid, calcium lactate, canola oil, gum arabic, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Not Primal...
          Oops. I looked at the "meatballs"

Comment

Sounds gross to me. =P

Comment

HAHA. Turk'y Roast. I just gotta laugh at myself! I used to eat this stuff and think I was SOOOOO healthy and look down upon the hoi polloi.
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

The main ingredient is a fungus, perhaps you could make mushroom patties or portabella steaks? Dice mushrooms, mix with egg and a little almond flour maybe, and fry it up in CO or butter. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavebot 3.0 View Post
                  The main ingredient is a fungus, perhaps you could make mushroom patties or portabella steaks? Dice mushrooms, mix with egg and a little almond flour maybe, and fry it up in CO or butter. Sounds good to me.
                  This sounds WAY better than that other thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    What are your goals?

I want to say that eating it once a week is no big deal, but it's that heavily processed frozen food that makes vegan/vegetarian lifestyle so unhealthy if it's all they eat.

You're talking about Quorn the brand of frozen foods right?
                    Yup the frozen mycoprotein stuff.
                    My goals are to lose some fat and be healthy.

The mince I usually have is this
                    Ingredients
                    Mycoprotein 88%, rehydrated egg white (free range), roasted barley malt extract.
                    Nutritional Information
                    per 100g:
                    Energy 955KJ/229Kcal, Protein 23.1g, Carbohydrate Nil, Fat 15.2g, Fibre Nil, Sodium 0.3g

No wheat or oil in it. I don't eat the other products they do such as the burgers and fillets in breadcrumbs.

Comment

Vegetarian-acceptable mince substitutes? Green lentils, maybe crumbled tempeh (it's worth the experiment), or how about tomato sauce & parmesan, broccoli in blue cheese sauce... anything cheese-based?

Opinions on Quorn... nothing very printable. I have cast-iron innards; I can eat anything. No allergies, no upsets, no reactions, nothing... unless I eat Quorn, in which case I get a very distinctive nasty set of symptoms within a few hours, a particular kind of nausea that nothing else causes. It actually turns out I got let off pretty lightly - see the 'testimonials' at http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/victims.html .

I'm impressed you can eat the stuff once a week and are still standing... but I wonder whether people who don't have symptoms are really unaffected. Seems to me that if Primal is based on the idea of eating things we evolved with, this is about as far from it as you can get - emerged from a lab in the late 60s, and entered the food supply in 1994. Oh, and I just learned from the Wikipedia article that this year its patent expires, so it could turn up in anything, not just under the 'Quorn' brand. As if I needed another reason not to eat things with ingredients lists...

Comment

I wouldn't touch the stuff when i was vegetarian.

i would recommend spaghetti squash (after you cook it, it comes out of the squash like noodles if you use a fork to pull it out) with a pesto or tomato sauce plus grilled veggies of various sorts. i also made a pretty mean wild-mushroom stroganoff back in the day, so that would probably work out too.

i didn't eat a lot of noodles (not a fan of heavy starchy carbs), so i often used the squash as it was lighter.

Comment

Yes Hilary that's my worry that although it seems ideal for weight loss being 0 carb, it's a made in a lab "food". I don't suffer any immediate issues eating it but I do wonder what my insides think of it as it's being digested. It's bit like trans fats and cereal I guess, no immediate harm but over the years it could be causing all sorts of damage. Yikes.
                          Will have to rethink my vegetarian meal choice.

Comment

Working...
                          X