is lite coconut milk primaly kosher?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is lite coconut milk primaly kosher?

I just started using lite coconut milk for my smoothies. It packs a 1/3 of the calories, and 60% less fat. The product is organic, made by "Thai Kitchen," and sold at my local health food coop. The taste is not as good as the original product, but I like the reduced fat/calory aspect.
    Does anybody know by what process such a product becomes "lite?" The ingredient list is identical to the original, so I don't think there are any chemicals involved.
    Is it primaly kosher to use?

Its not kosher. Nor is it a good idea to cut back on the fat. The fat is good for you.
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Get the full fat version and add water... saves you money. Coconut is good for you BECAUSE of the fat though...

Comment

I buy about equal amounts of regular and light. I use full-fat for my morning coffee where I'm only using about 1/4 cup. If I am using a whole can for something (like hot cocoa, or a dessert,) I opt for the light. Whether I like it or not, calories still count and sometimes I have to sacrifice a little good fat to keep myself on track.

Comment

light is just regular with extra water.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleshetarian View Post
            I just started using lite coconut milk for my smoothies. It packs a 1/3 of the calories, and 60% less fat. The product is organic, made by "Thai Kitchen," and sold at my local health food coop. The taste is not as good as the original product, but I like the reduced fat/calory aspect.
            Does anybody know by what process such a product becomes "lite?" The ingredient list is identical to the original, so I don't think there are any chemicals involved.
            They just add more water. I second DR. Just use the regular and water it down as needed.

Originally posted by strom View Post
            Its not kosher. Nor is it a good idea to cut back on the fat. The fat is good for you.
            My local chabad rabbi said that all of my coconut milk options were acceptable unless there was something added besides the water, coconut and guar gum. *shrug*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Agree w/ the rest--just add your own water to the full fat kind (or pay for the watered down 'light' coconut milk--expensive though!)
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Thank you all for responding! It makes toatl sense that they simply water it down to make it "lite." I think I can do it myself...

Comment

I am confused about your meaning when you say kosher. Do you mean it in the slang way? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering if I read your thread title correctly. lol

Comment

See, I just don't get that "watered down" thing. Regular coconut milk and "light" coconut milk have the exact same consistency. If I used 1/3 the amount of regular coconut milk in my coffee, it would only make it 1/3 as creamy. The light stuff and the regular stuff, 1/4 cup makes it equally creamy, but the light has less calories.

Not saying anyone has to do this, but I do it, and I have no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianne View Post
                      I am confused about your meaning when you say kosher. Do you mean it in the slang way? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering if I read your thread title correctly. lol
                      I think he/she? meant it in the slang term. As in, is it okay to eat, not is it Jewish Kosher.

Speaking of the latter, what's the deal with Kosher? is it an attempt by Jews not to poison their bodies with undesirable practices and ingredients? Serious question.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Certain foods are considered taboo by different religious communities.

Although the details of kashrut are extensive, the laws all derive from a few fairly simple, straightforward rules:
                        1. Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.
                        2. Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.
                        3. All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.
                        4. Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.
                        5. Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten)
                        6. Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
                        7. Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
                        8. Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
                        9. There are a few other rules that are not universal.

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

Comment

Dang, looks like some old school Jewish person had some serious OCD and it caught on huh? Wow. I know that sounds disrespectful, but I don't mean it to be. It just looks entirely uh... hmm.. I'll drop it. Happy eating y'all.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

A lot of cultures have food taboos. Here in America not so much, but the ones we have are subtle. We don't eat horses and guinea pigs here after all. You'd be arrested for eating a dog I'd bet. Big taboos when it comes to pets vs food.

The Muslims don't eat pork, and cows are not eaten in India. I'm sure both have other food taboos we've not even heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianne View Post
                              Ahhh, Adrianne, good call. I think you're totally right. It was meant 'primally right' or "primally ok". My eyes sort of skipped the primally and saw 'is lite coconut milk kosher'.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X