grain free pet food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grain free pet food

hey all! i wasn't sure where to post this, but i wanted to see if anyone else has recently found the new "B.G" brand (before grain) cat or food or dog food recently at their pet store.
    i was happy to find it at petCo.
    it is grain free, junk free food, and is MUCH cheaper than the Wellness brand that we were getting. actually, it is half the price. the main ingredients are meat, salmon, oil, etc.
    i am really excited about this. i always felt badly for feeding sparky rice and oat based foods, when i wouldn't even eat it.

www.beforegrain.com

now only if someone would speak out for our human food...

Petco's site has it at (regular price) $49/25 lb bag. The ingredient list is pretty similar to Taste of the Wild, grain free as well, and which we can get for $43/30lb bag. About the same number of cal/cup between the two kibbles. Either one would be fine, but I don't see anything more compelling about the BG to justify the extra cost.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I have my cat on Taste of the Wild, but only as of a few weeks ago. She had always been on Royal Canin Persian food, but would have occasional bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. About a month ago she started up a round of vomiting and diarrhea and it lasted close to 2 days. I was about to take her to the vet but then I thought if grain free worked for me, then maybe grain free would work for her.

So I went to the pet store and bought that grain free food. Within a couple hours she stopped the vomit and diarrhea, but then went the other way. She wasn't pooping. I thought I was a big idiot and that I had constipated her. That wasn't the case. A full day later she started going to the bathroom again, but it was much less frequent and much smaller and cleaner. I read around on the ol' Internet and I found that's a benefit to a grain free food for pets.

I am hoping that this is pretty much the end to her vomiting and diarrhea spells! The food is close to twice the price of her previous food but I am happy to pay that to avoid the puddles.

Comment

I forget what my wife feeds her dog, but I'm sure it's full of non-dog foods. I decided to be coy and fed her a little raw deer liver last night (I was cleaning, cutting a bagging one from last night's kill.) Of course, she gobbled it up and my wife told me it was going to make her sick. I scoffed. Well, 4:40 a.m. came pretty early when the dog was yacking it all up on the kitchen floor.

I forget when they eat the same thing day in and day out and you throw something in like that, something unpleasant is bound to happen.
        Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
        Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
        LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
        HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
        TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

liver is pretty rich. organ meats can also cause loose stools so I always introduce them slowly. If you want to start your dog on some non-kibble foods, best to start with muscle meat and go from there.
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Weruva also makes grain-free canned food. My cats are on a (grain-free) raw diet (chicken, liver, and feline future supplements). They LOVE it. I never give them dry food (regardless of brand) because it can lead to UTIs.

Comment

Our dog eats Orijen. Probably the most expensive primal food out there (about $72 for a 30 lb bag), but soooo worth it! I like the care with which they source their ingredients.

Niko is full of energy and health--and had no flea problems this summer--unlike some of the other dogs. He actually went Primal before I did!
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Taste of the Wild here too (supplemented with canned fish, canned green tripe, and raw meat/bones). I know so many people online whose dogs do well on it. It's available at Tractor Supply, which is very convenient for me.

Comment

Costco is currently carried a salmon and sweet potato dog food. $30 for a 35lb. bag. I hope they don't stop carry it. My dogs gas has basically vanished since switching. My 4 lb. chi was able to clear the room before.

Comment

Taste of the wild for my critters!

Both the cat and the dog. The cat has gone from a skinny not eating much cat to eating her whole serving twice a day! Now this also seems to have something to do with the fact that she had 3 teeth pulled (and I'm guessing that despite not looking bad they must have been causing pain for YEARS because she has NEVER been a big eater!) but I think she has done very well on TOTW.

The dog just doesn't eat. We have tried 3 different brands of dog food and a couple different flavors over the 2 years I have had her and she just isn't a big eater at all. She is healthy and full of energy so I'm not really WORRIED about her but you can see her ribs a bit and I wish she would put on a few pounds. Now I can't afford to do raw feeding (I tried and both the money and the freezer space run out - especially since I'm eating more meat these days!) and I would REALLY like to stay away from adding wet food to her bowl every day. So barring those ideas does anyone else have any ideas of how to get my silly dog to eat more?

Comment

We feed our cat grain free wellness and supplement with "pet meat" from our farmer which is liver, heart, and random scraps.

Comment

My Sammy is on Wellness Core ($65 for a 30LB bag) (supplemented with organic multi-vitamin-mineral/Green Super-food supplement, raw eggs, raw meat, raw fruits, and raw vegetable). He is during incredible on this diet, and will I will never switch back to that awful Purina! Now, he poop less (and his poop is firm), bolt of energy, nice coat, and his vet said he is in top health.

Comment

http://www.evopet.com/about-natura/

At the bottom of the page you can see a comparison of some grain-free dog foods based on the amount per serving. EVO, is one of the less expensive (per-calorie) foods, the only downside is that they use sunflower oil (but they also use herring oil). I only started feeding my dog with this last week, so I can't tell you whether he's improved, but I think the EVO is going to pay for itself by eliminating the need for the allergy and ear infection medications.

Comment

Our dogs love the grain free food we get at costco. comes in salmon or turkey. they seem to be doing well:full of energy, shiny fur, no throwing up or digestive issues. one of ours is especially sensitive and will rash out or throw up her food if its lamb or if it has grains.

Comment

I have my lab on EVO Herring & Salmon. She love it and licks the bowl for three minutes after she finishes the last morsel. It is a bit expensive, $89.00 for a 29 lbs. bag, but she uses only two cups per day. That is about 1000 cals. Bag lasts over a month. Her coat is shinny, and she poops only twice per day in nice firm units. http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1699

Comment

Working...
                              X