Coffee ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee ?

Today I had a workshop at a hotel and I drank 3 cups of the smoothest coffee with no bitter taste at all. How do I find this smooth of a coffee at the store? Brands?

Just try very light roast coffees. Go to Starbucks or some other coffee shop and ask the baristas for advice on which blends they have that are mild. Many baristas are serious coffee junkies and they know their stuff!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Smooth doesn't necessarily mean mild or weak. I'm a coffee snob and roast some pretty stout beans that have a smooth finish.

Starbucks is the last place I'd seek info. Find a local coffee house that roasts their own beans.

Comment

especially if what you had was at a hotel, Chances are it was something like a french roast which has a deep flavor but for some the bitterness is less in darker roasts. Personally I find lighter roasts to be bitter and tannic, upsets my stomach. Many good coffee shops will allow you to do a taste test of at least a few different brews. also messing around with how much grounds you use and brewing process can affect a lot in flavor.
          For me a Mr coffee with 4 heaping tablespoons of Peets french roast is damn near perfect.

Comment

Go to a coffee shop that will let you do a French press tasting.

Comment

Me + My French Press = <3<3<3

Even inexpensive coffee tastes wonderful in a French Press. Nothing Between...U and The Bean

Comment

Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                Starbucks is the last place I'd seek info. Find a local coffee house that roasts their own beans.
                this!

We buy our beans from a local roaster and their coffee is so smooth and amazing. Plus, they really know their beans and can help find the best one for your palate. Good coffee is worth the extra $. I never thought I'd drink, much less enjoy, coffee without cream and sugar. Now, I won't drink coffee with sugar (sometimes a little cream is ok). Turns out, I actually like the flavor of coffee...just not the el cheapo stuff that's bitter and nasty w/o being doctored up.
                Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Try grinding your beans just before you brew!

Comment

Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                    Smooth doesn't necessarily mean mild or weak. I'm a coffee snob and roast some pretty stout beans that have a smooth finish.

Depends on which starbucks... I know a few starbucks baristas who are certified coffee snobs and quite knowledgable. Of course the starbucks around where I live....not so much. lol

A local coffee shop usually has a more knowledgable staff though.

And a HUGE +1 on the french press!!!!!

Comment

Also, never put coffee beans in the fridge or freezer.

Comment

Check out home barrista. You probably guessed that this is an espresso centric site. However, the link is to their evaluations of the top 10 espresso blends, and the vendors of those blends also do other roasts suitable for drip, french press, what have you.

Of course, I would always advise to patronize the local roasters in your neck of the woods. The freshness of the coffee is what determines a lot of the cup flavour. That is the optimal solution, but failing that ... the internet can help.
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Starbucks=\= light roast. Go to a local shop.

Comment

watch this, Its Alton Brown's show on coffee. I've made coffee this way and it works REALLY well. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X