My diabetic friend is going vegan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My diabetic friend is going vegan

I'm sad. My diabetic coworker/friend announced to me today that she is going vegan . Without thinking - I responded - "hmmm....don't you think it will be hard on your blood sugar if you eat a vegan diet". She responded "the best thing for controlling blood sugar is a vegan diet. My sugars will be perfect on this".

She was offended and defensive - ended the conversation immediately.

I just don't see how this can be good.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

If she does it properly, she could be all right. If she does, however, she will be miserable since she will find little support around her. Kind of like what we face, only worse.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

So long as she doesn't fall into junk food veganism, she should be fine. A well-balanced vegan diet should help correct her problem, though it may or may not be sustainable long-term.

Comment

Noooooo... I am sorry to hear that. Maybe she will see the light...?
        ~ Ex-Herbivore Goes Carnivore: Jazmin's PB Journal ~

Comment

Wouldn't even a very balanced vegan diet generally be high in grains, fruit, honey, etc. Wouldn't these be bad for blood sugars?
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Is she type 1 or 2? If it's type 1 then a vegan diet is possibly the worst thing she could do, since it's an auto-immune disease and the only vegan protein sources come from soy and legumes, both a really bad idea for auto-immune sufferers if you believe Robb Wolf (which I do).
            If type 2, she could possibly do ok as long as she maintains only a low to moderate carb intake. Most vegans do not do it low-carb however so I don't hold out much hope for her.
            I guess the proof will be in the (dairy-free) pudding
            My Journal

Comment

Get her to read Dr. Bernstein's book. It has really helped a diabetic friend of mine.

Comment

Be her friend! support her, don't alienate her and if/when it doesn't work she could be more willing to listen to your advise.

Comment

Give her a few weeks then ask her what blood sugar levels are. Does she test after meals?
                  If they are high then introduce her to PB

Comment

Your friend is likely a victim of the very active vegan lobby. No, it's not good for diabetics--unless she plans to live on only veggies, but then where would her protein come from? Not many people realize that adequate protein is essential for diabetics.

I second that she at least consult Dr. Bernstein's website to learn about diabetes and food. He gives a scientific explanation about why certain foods should be chosen and others eliminated.

Comment

The following is not an endorsement of a vegetarian lifestyle.

I am a meat eater. That is the way to go. I can't think of anything else for me. I believe that humans are designed to be omnivores and that all things considered, that is the way to maintain health. However, maintaining health and regaining health are not necessarily the same situation.

I know of three facilities in the USA that cure---I said, cure---diabetes. One in Oklahoma, one in Arkansas, and the third is, I believe, in North Dakota. They all put their clients on a vegetarian diet. Totally, 100% plant based. They are successful and if people continue the program they stay 'cured'.

I can't think of any facility in the USA that is not vegan and has any success treating diabetes, not for "living with", but "living without".
                      Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Similar sad story here! One of my closest friends just had colon cancer surgery. She went to a Kaiser-sponsored educational talk by one of their oncologists. He discouraged his audience from interest in supplements, such as vitamin D, which is dramatically tied to colon cancer, and told them the best thing they could do to avoid recurrences was to go vegetarian. So, he would have them avoid any likely source of D, K or omega-3! Why isn't this malpractice? Unbelievable.

Comment

I believe it, periquin. A 100% plant diet would cure a whole lot of our society's chronic ailments. The problem is that most veg*ns I've encountered are not actually eating a whole lot of plants. They are eating highly processed junk, like Cliff bars and Quorn. I know; I was one of them and I had/have a lot of friends who are eating similarly. I'm eating far more vegetables now than I ever did when I was a vegetarian.
                          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

here's the up side: she's doing something pro-active.

i would recommend applauding her for taking a proactive step, starting with an apology. Something like a note/email/whatever that says "Hey, sarah, i'm sorry that i questioned your choice so quickly the other day. I just didn't know. I wanted to really tell you that i applaud you for taking such a positive step for yourself. I think that's really awesome! If you need any support, let me know, and I will do my best!"

This will make it possible for her to be open to you. Next, learn about veganism. Not junk-food veganism, but health-food veganism. Read a few artciles (google) about veganism and diabetes. Just enough so that you can have a dialogue.

Then, when she does talk to you, stay positive. She can commiserate with you about feeling isolated because you have a weird diet. you could talk about how to have a weird diet in social situations. And, she might also open the door to talking to you about fitness.

with whole-foods veganism, if she is type 2 diabetic, she'll probably loose a lot of weight. she may even overcome the diabetes through it. but, she might also hit a plateau, and look for something better, easier, more satisfying, or whatever else.

but you will have developed a friendship, a trusting relationship, and she, then, will trust you for information.

Comment

Done right, it could work. Done wrong (more likely) it would be a disaster.

I vote no.

Comment

Working...
                              X