Eating Primal... Just not Primally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Primal... Just not Primally

I am eating primal foods and feel great. I don't eat grains, no sugars, no dairy (other than in salad dressings). However, I am not too appealed by meat. I don't eat it much. I eat tons of fruit, because I love it. A typical day for me goes like this.

Breakfast: Almonds, maybe a banana.

Lunch: A Larabar, not a big lunch person.

Dinner: I eat a very early dinner, around 3 o'clock. I'll eat an apple or banana right when I get home, followed by a salad or something near that. If I have easily accessible meat, this is where I'll get it in, things such as pre-sliced sandwich meats, or some leftover hamburgers or something.

How would you critique me? I'll eat meat, but not carnivorously. It's not my thing. What can I do in place of that?

Eggs.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Fish and Eggs.

Comment

I like the eggs. My problem with fish would be the cost factor; the only thing my family can afford is canned. Are there any lower-mercury canned fish options out there?

Comment

Critique:
          You say no sugars but you are eating 2 bananas a day which is about 60g of sugar mostly from fructose. Also depending on what you are eating in your salad you have very little fat in that diet. Go crazy on eggs and fish as suggested.

Unfortunately for you its very difficult to get adequate protein (full spectrum) from anything other than meat though!
          - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
          IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

Comment

Originally posted by Bakonator View Post
            I like the eggs. My problem with fish would be the cost factor; the only thing my family can afford is canned. Are there any lower-mercury canned fish options out there?
            You don't need to worry about mercury in fish (whether canned or fresh)--

http://chetday.com/mercurymineralfish.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/026729_se...cury_tuna.html

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ercury_levels/

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_...cary-after-all

I echo the last poster. Eating two bananas a day just isn't idea, with all those sugar and carbs. You need up the fat and protein (somewhat hard to do in your case). Your breakfast and lunch is very low on both. Use extra virgin olive oil, eat a whole avocado, cook with coconut oil, etc. Cook up some eggs (with coconut oil) in the morning (have a half avocado too). Your current plan just isn't primal really.
            Last edited by Zed; 11-18-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I didn't think 'primal' was necessarily translated to 'carnivor'. I suppose it depends how you want to see things. No grains, dairy or processed sugar sounds pretty 'primal' as these are all agricultural foods. I like to look at ALL natural food as primal.

Comment

I suggest you read the book and read up on some receipes. Nothing carnivorous about PB.
                You could hide meat in soups and stews if you don't like the thought/taste of it.

Comment

Sounds like a poor relationship with food, and your barely eating anything........many people hide behind monikers like primal and vegetarian to hide all sorts of eating disorders....I could be wrong, but, just my first thought. Read the blueprint.
                  Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Not enough protein. If you don't 'like' meat, you should be eating more fish and eggs. In fact, I often make a 'steak omelet,' and you can 'disguise' your meat in that, soups, and stews if you don't like the taste.

Comment

Where are you getting your leftover hamburgers from? Who ate the first half?

I don't think you eat PB-style at all. I think you eat natural foods, but that's about the only connection. Where's the fat? Where's the protein? You're eating almost entirely carbs till dinner, and even then it's mostly carbs. Might all be just peachy and the right thing for you, but it isn't PB.

What are your goals?
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

- not enough fat, not enough food in general
                        - a lot of carbs + sugar from the bananas and larabar.
                        - if you're buying packaged sandwich meat, it has a lot of crap in it.

You didn't say if you are trying to lose weight or maintain. You don't seem to be eating primal at all.

Comment

I'm trying to include a lot of canned wild Alaskan salmon in my cooking now since it is so healthy and cheap (about $2-3/can, and my family gets 4 servings out of a can). Canned sardines are also a good option, though I personally don't love the flavor.

Also, check out some of the cheaper fresh fish. At least at my local store, catfish and whiting will sometimes drop as low as $3.50/lb, which is a good time to stock up and freeze them. To prepare it, I dip it in egg, crust it with almond meal and Old Bay, and pan fry it in coconut oil. It isn't the healthiest fish choice (low in omega-3s), but it is still good quality protein and quite tasty.

Other than that, your diet looks could use a little less fruit and a little more of everything else (vegetables, meats, fats, etc). For goodness sake, EAT!
                          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                            Where's the fat? Where's the protein? You're eating almost entirely carbs till dinner, and even then it's mostly carbs. Might all be just peachy and the right thing for you, but it isn't PB.
                            That was my initial impression as well. Then I entered all the foods s/he reported into FitDay, and what I found was this:

79.4 g fat (61% calories)
                            82.6 g carbs (27% calories)
                            35.3 g protein (12% calories)
                            1145 total calories

In other words, the ratios are arguably ok. The biggest problem I see is that the total amount of calories is very low. Those numbers come from the following assumptions: 1 oz almond, 1 medium banana, 1 cashew nut Lara Bar, 1 medium apple, 2 cups shredded lettuce, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 green bell pepper (on the salad), 4 oz ground beef.

Personally I see little to complain about with either the quality of the food or the macro ratios. And I don't really think a couple/few pieces of fruit per day are an issue.

If the OP added 2 eggs with 1/2 Tbsp butter (let's say for breakfast), another banana, and another salad topped with, say, a can of sardines, at lunch or in the evening, the numbers would look like this:

120.3g fat (61%)
                            113.5g carbs (24%)
                            64.4g protein (15%)
                            1,730 total calories

Those numbers might be totally reasonable for someone who doesn't weight a lot, someone who is trying to lose weight, or someone who is trying to extend their life through chronic calorie restriction.

Another thing to consider is that the OP might be snacking on other things during the day...just a couple handfuls of nuts throughout the day could add hundreds of calories to the total.

Comment

I am eating primal foods and feel great. I don't eat grains, no sugars, no dairy (other than in salad dressings). However, I am not too appealed by meat. I don't eat it much. I eat tons of fruit, because I love it. A typical day for me goes like this.

Breakfast: Almonds, maybe a banana.

Lunch: A Larabar, not a big lunch person.

Dinner: I eat a very early dinner, around 3 o'clock. I'll eat an apple or banana right when I get home, followed by a salad or something near that. If I have easily accessible meat, this is where I'll get it in, things such as pre-sliced sandwich meats, or some leftover hamburgers or something.

How would you critique me? I'll eat meat, but not carnivorously. It's not my thing. What can I do in place of that?
                              i'm sorry babes but that's barely even enough food to feed a rabbit. There's practically no fat, no protein....unbelieavably unhealthly...

okay so i'd suggest some;

Avocados
                              Chorizo (as your better pre-sliced meat - great on salad)
                              goats cheese?
                              natural greek yoghurt (if you are not eating meat i suggest you take some dairy to get your fats up)
                              Coconut oil - sautee some things like mushrooms and add them to your salads
                              boiled eggs
                              tinned mackerel or tuna?

I don't eat meat carnivoursously either! i can't afford to. this is how i eat meat;

Breakfast - none
                              Lunch - chorizo or two large chicken thighs from the deli or pack of shredded chicken
                              Dinner - main meat source - usually in a stew (steak), chilli (mince) roast some chicken thighs off

it's really easy hun - then just load up that dinner plate with some nice veggies; i like mushrooms, courgettes, peas, broccoli, cauliflower...

i've been forcing myself to try things i don't like. i NEVER ate avocados but i've encouraged myself to do so as they are little powerhouses of nutrition. and they aren't that bad...

now into the red peppers, slowly beginning to get over my aversion to them

best of luck and let us know if you need any more ideas...
                              Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                              **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

Working...
                              X