Best Carbs? Fruit vs root? Sugar vs. Starch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Carbs? Fruit vs root? Sugar vs. Starch

So I know theres no truly correct answer if we live a varied primal diet, but i wanted to know your thoughts as to why you might prefer either fruity carbs, or starchy carbs like yams and potatoes.

After workouts I tend to go for banana to recover, but Mark recently recommended yams as great post workout carbs. What are the main advantages of one over the other? Bananas are convenient and eaten raw, but are there reasons starch is much better?

Your thoughts please

Thanks
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

either one is fine...its when you eat excess of what your body uses in a day that there are problems. people like to bash fructose but if your not overeating then theres no problem with fructose.

personally... i found my body(everyone should find out for themselves...go by feeling) like starchy tubers, sweet taters, yams, celeraic, rutabaga more than winter squashes. also, i digest everything home free if it is cold. so i usually roasted or nuke a crapload of starchy roots/tubers and put them in the fridge...then gorgs when i feel like my body wants it
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

The sugars/carbs in potatoes, yams and other root vegetables are lower in fructose.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...uide-to-sugar/

I don't know what exactly it is about fructose, but I'm better off eating a potato (any variety, higher carbs) than an apple. Who would've thought?
      Last edited by Omphaloskeptical; 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Im thinking just to keep it well rounded, Ill do one piece of fruit and one piece of starch a day and see how I feeeeel

Comment

Just finish my post workout meal:

2 lbs of sweetaters & yams
          7 oz of grass fed meat
          some ghee & herbs for flavor

Im currently trying to gain some mass (quite underweight here), so Im basically carb cycling...2 or 3 days LC ( 50- 60 grs aprox) but high fat (kerrygold & ghee just vanish on those days) then 1 day HC (close to 4 lbs on sweet potatoes & other tubers...I dont mind going over the uber danger carbzone), It has work wonders, muscles are growing nicely.

Also I have starting supplementing with gelatin, I just make some chai tea put the dissolve gelatin & you got yourself a chai jello!, you can do it with coconut milk (Im allergic to coconut, but I know it will taste heavenly) or any other stuff you want. I take it at night before bed and also when Im IF (before workout)

From my personal experience, muscle growth is almost 0 if Im not taking starch, fruits just doesnt agree with me, so... Starch all the way baby! (besides we have amylose for a reason!)

Comment

amylase
            activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Originally posted by localad View Post
              amylase
              Sorry...english is not my mother language.

Comment

Would not have known..your written english is better that mine! Amylose is the starch, amylase is the enzyme that breaks it down. It is the 'first' digestive enzyme, ie in saliva (spit). To me that indicates, as you say, starch all the way baby! Looks like we evolved to get the goodness out of hard to dig up starchy roots. Readily available Mars bars are just a bit too much of a digestive system overkill (literally, for many people!)
                activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Starch. glucose is not a neolithic agent, but fructose is. That being said, fruits are probably fine in moderation.

Comment

Another vote for starch.

The only fruit I eat now is avocado, the occasional tomato, and coconut.

Comment

Originally posted by Avarim View Post
                      Just finish my post workout meal:

2 lbs of sweetaters & yams
                      7 oz of grass fed meat
                      some ghee & herbs for flavor

Im currently trying to gain some mass (quite underweight here), so Im basically carb cycling...2 or 3 days LC ( 50- 60 grs aprox) but high fat (kerrygold & ghee just vanish on those days) then 1 day HC (close to 4 lbs on sweet potatoes & other tubers...I dont mind going over the uber danger carbzone), It has work wonders, muscles are growing nicely.

Also I have starting supplementing with gelatin, I just make some chai tea put the dissolve gelatin & you got yourself a chai jello!, you can do it with coconut milk (Im allergic to coconut, but I know it will taste heavenly) or any other stuff you want. I take it at night before bed and also when Im IF (before workout)

From my personal experience, muscle growth is almost 0 if Im not taking starch, fruits just doesnt agree with me, so... Starch all the way baby! (besides we have amylose for a reason!)
                      This is interesting, hadn't thought about using starch to help muscle gain, could explain a reason why I reached a plateau a while ago and gave up?! I thought I'd covered every aspect of gaining but had just reached a limit. hmmmm. I take it HC days are workout days? and your post workout meal is quite big, can I ask what time of day you train?

btw whats the gelatin for?!? you didn't say! sounds interesting, wondered what would happen if you put it in coffee or hot choc.

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                      Another vote for starch.

The only fruit I eat now is avocado, the occasional tomato, and coconut.
                      Fair enough, I know we shouldn't let CW get in the way, but is a tiny part of you not think that maybe at least one piece of fruit a day would be a good idea? Just to make sure your not missing out on anything? Not criticising just questioning Afterall, it is called MarksDailyAPPLE!.

Comment

Here is a thread on this same topic from the archives:

Starch VS. Fruit--which is better?
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hich-is-better

Also, the Perfect Health Diet is all for starchy carbs (less so fruit, although they include that as well, but do discuss keeping your fructose intake to under 50 grams a day.) Kind of a starchy twist on paleo--here is a discussion about it w/ links: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ct-Health-Diet

I say try going no fruit for a couple weeks, and using a bit of starch, then doing the opposite, and seeing what feels best _to you_. I've found eating lots of fruit leaves me w/ more food cravings and less able to IF. Eating a little starch (but not too much!) doesn't seem to impact me nearly as much as all the fruit. Larger amounts of starch though (say, more than one servings worth a day) TOTALLY has me carb craving as well, and I will also start getting bloated asap if eating too much starch. (I'm not Perfect Health Diet material, as far as the starch goes, although I find the book and site helpful in other ways.) Small amounts of lower fructose fruit (1/2 cup of berries, etc) is really no big deal in the cravings department. I'm really still working it all out for myself, and find including small amounts of either does not impact me negatively, but larger amounts of either is not a good thing for me. That said, YMMV!!
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

^ Thanks! Just missed thispost after my last one! interesting links

Comment

All of this also really depends on your body--are you insulin sensitive/resistant, are you looking to lose weight or gain weight, do you have fructose intolerance/malabsorption issues, etc.? (Folks w/ metabolic syndrome may need to eliminate or restrict _both_. Folks looking to gain muscle etc may want to add both. It all depends on you.)

As for the Mark's Daily "APPLE"?, fruits do contain many antioxidants, but for the most part, nothing in a fruit cannot be found in a veggie or other food, from my research.
                            My Before/After Pics
                            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

This is interesting too on fructose malabsorption from Emily Deans' blog:
                              http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...-fructose.html

You mentioned bananas in your first post. FWIW, in the above link, bananas were not considered bad for folks w/ fructose malabsorption issues b/c their glucose to fructose ratio is pretty equal (I think maybe even more glucose than fructose.) (Starchy carbs like potatoes are almost all glucose, from what I've read.)

Oh, google "Sugar, the bitter truth" for a pro-starch argument that many here have found quite convincing. Again, I *believe* he says something like 50 g fructose a day is not harmful, esp in the form of fruits.

Good luck on figuring what works best for you! This is a topic I am interested in well, hence the serial posting! (sorry! )
                              My Before/After Pics

Comment

Working...
                              X