Carob = Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carob = Primal?

Yesterday my parents visited a local health food store and among other great buys they came home with about a 1/2 - 1 lb of carob covered raisins. I really don't know much more than that about them but was wondering about the carob. Supposedly the lady at the store said the only sweetner involved is the raisin. Wadda ya think?

Originally posted by alydar View Post
    Yesterday my parents visited a local health food store and among other great buys they came home with about a 1/2 - 1 lb of carob covered raisins. I really don't know much more than that about them but was wondering about the carob. Supposedly the lady at the store said the only sweetner involved is the raisin. Wadda ya think?
    Carob is a better choice than straight up sugar, but it is a somewhat high carb food. Definitely much higher carbs that chocolate. Also raisins themselves are pretty much little sugar bombs full of carbs, so these definitely should be considered candy and eaten in much moderation.

edit: 16 carbs per oz

Comment

Thanks Rivvin! Much appreciated!

Comment

Carob's also a legume, which strictly speaking makes it unPrimal. Then again since you're unlikely to be eating a massive amount of it (unlike eating a bowl of beans for example) it shouldn't cause a problem I guess.
        My primal journal
        You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
        In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

i thought carob was the before of cacao powder and coco powder?
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

When I was a kid, because of my Diabetes Mum used to buy me a carob Easter bunny instead of an ordinary, chocolate one. I hated it.

Comment

What else is in the coating but carob? Maybe no sugar, but I'd bet some nasty hydrogenated oils.

OK, did some checking, consider this ingredient list: http://www.discoverbulk.com/Items.bu..._CAROB_RAISINS

I myself wouldn't eat that. Especially considering what little sugar bombs raisins themselves are. Real dark chocolate would taste a thousand times better anyway.
              Last edited by PrairieProf; 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                i thought carob was the before of cacao powder and coco powder?
                According to Wikipedia, it's a pea! :-P
                My primal journal
                You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Working...
                X