A question on insulin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question on insulin

Before I went primal, I had noticed that if I ate something carby (and that was a lot of the time), I could feel my body getting "hyper" and the up and down effect of eating carbs.

I've been primal for about 2 weeks, and it was my nephew's 6th birthday yesterday. They served burgers and chicken (grilled), potato chips and potato salad, coleslaw, and the obligatory birthday cake.

Truth be told, I ate the potato products (not letting them go yet), colewslaw, burgers (just the meat, to the surprise of everyone lol), and 2 huge slices of cake.

Whereas before I would feel the sugar high and then crash and nap, I really didn't feel different than before I ate dinner. I felt fine, sober, and content. Didn't feel sick in the slightest.

My question is: how did going Primal help with this? I'm still sort of new so this may be painfully obvious to some people here. Is this normal?
    Last edited by highaerials36; 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Funny, I am MORE sensitive to carbs now than I was before. I stick to sweet potatoes but that's all I can handle - bread practically knocks me out now. I know a lot of people here are the same - not sure why you've gone in the opposite direction!

Comment

Yeah, Give it a few more weeks and that cake will knock you on your ass. I had a margarita yesterday (just one I swear) with sweet and sour mix and I felt like i had just had a triple shot of espresso for like 4 and a half minutes, then felt swollen and tired. I think it takes time to fully switch the body over to a more insulin sensitive state. Probably different for different folks too.

Comment

Originally posted by erikJ View Post
        then felt swollen and tired..
        Sugar and grains make me feel swollen too.

Comment

Interesting replies. Do I want to become insulin resistant? I love the Primal lifestyle and I won't give it up, but for those "heres and theres," should I expect to see more insulin resistance as time goes on with me being primal?

Comment

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
            Do I want to become insulin resistant?
            No, you don't want to be insulin resistant.

When eating low carb for an extended period of time (Primally or otherwise) , some can experience diet enduced insulin resistance.

Comment

I think it's that it's only been two weeks.

Like dfast, if I eat a lot of dough (like pizza) it does have a knock out effect. Once I was working at a store (part of my job is to do resets at supermarkets from time to time) and during our break someone brought in Pizza (of course) and I had two slices and water, when we got back on the floor I felt so crappy. It was my most severe "carb attack" in a long time and I felt suuuper tired and groggy, it went away gladly but it was uncomfortable.

the problem is some people will take this experience of "carb crashes" to attack a Paleo/low carb/primal lifestyle saying something akin to "SEE they can't even handle carbs! this is dangerous!" rather than seeing that these substances are harmful in and of themselves and ingesting them causes these crashes. Constant consumption leads to tolerance (insulin resistance) and also an overall feeling of "this is just how I feel" (tired, groggy, low energy, etc) and they use stimulants such as coffee/etc to get them through the day.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Ahhhhhh, I see. Thank you, that makes a load of sense.

Comment

When I eat any sugar - any - I actually feel my head spin. It's quite unpleasant, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                    When I eat any sugar - any - I actually feel my head spin. It's quite unpleasant, actually.
                    Me too. It really is unpleasant, I was thinking about trying Truvia as a sweetener but I don't mind my beverages sugarless at all and I'm not into baking or anything like that so I think I can live sugar free for a long while. Occasionally having desserts when the time calls for them. Even then I can't eat too much or it just makes me feel drained.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                      My question is: how did going Primal help with this? I'm still sort of new so this may be painfully obvious to some people here. Is this normal?
                      You regulated your insulin production. You were most likely overproducing insulin before to compensate for the excess carb consumption which would give you the ups and downs you described. Now, your body is getting used to producing less insulin since you're not putting such a demand on it with your diet so it was able to give you just enough insulin for your mini carb binge. It won't last though, if you were to keep eating cake every day you would quickly reverse this benefit. Also, eating fat and protein with the cake and potatoes would slow down the digestion and blood sugar spike. If you just ate the cake alone you might have felt different.
                      I used to get the horrible feeling others are describing after eating carbs for a while and I had to avoid them almost comletely. Now, however (after about 8 months of this WOE) I can eat quite a bit of carby food and feel just fine, no crash, no high blood sugars. As long as it only happens once in a while. I don't eat VLC anymore though, so that may be the difference.

Comment

There are two types of insulin resistances.
                        1) Your body cells have got their insulin receptors damaged, and do not react sufficiently to insulin. This is the bad kind. It fixes but very slowly. It results in glucose spikes when eating too much carbs, because the body is not responding to the insulin and is not able to bring the glucose level within tolerable limits within acceptable time.
                        2) Your body has forgotten how to react to carbs, because of very little carbs in the diet. The pancreas does not have stores of insulin to react to the carbs, when you take it out of the blue. The insulin takes some time to be produced, and the glucose level goes very high due to the delay.

The difference between the two is that the first is more determined by the length of time the glucose does not return to the base level, while the second is defined by the high peak.

I don't think the peak matters as much, but the duration is what is the most important thing. The duration is also the more difficult to test for, so people just use the peak as a test. For very insulin sensitive persons the pancreas will secrete a very small amount of insulin and the glucose level will not register any large peaks and will get back to base level within minutes.

Low carb is safe, and easier to follow.

Comment

I believe eating saturated fat causes temporary insulin resistance too, but what I'm not sure about is how pronounced this is, and to what extent it would affect blood sugar and insulin if carbs are consumed at the same time. We should also remember that lifting heavy things improves insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue, so maybe it's a zero-sum game. Wouldn't that be nice?

Added: Ah, some interesting thoughts on this from Stephan: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...esistance.html
                          Last edited by racingsnake; 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM. Reason: Adding reference
                          My primal journal
                          You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                          In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake View Post
                            I believe eating saturated fat causes temporary insulin resistance too,[/url]
                            Palmitic acid causes temporary insulin resistance. This effect may be problematic for people eating ghee with Rice. But it is used traditionally therapeutically in India, so I am not sure at what level this starts to become a problem. Possibly it will be problematic only when you already have insulin resistance. ie it will make the effects more pronounced.

Comment

i thiiiink if i understand correctly that i agree with anand srivastava.... heres my experience

when i was starving/suffering anorexia and it's byproducts... i was VERY resistant to insulin and would experience some major hyper/hypo glycemia episodes. then i went zero carb, and initially this helped me. i didnt have to tolerate carbs and i ate a lot of saturated fat. this in turn, repairded my insulin function and i became more sensitive to insulin...

then, the 'over low carbing' took effect, which is what i think a lot of people here suffer from, and i became like a fake-diabetic with all the symptoms of hormonal imbalance/adrenal fatigue./thyroid problems, you name it.

so, i started carb cycling. i eat in a 'surplus' everyday as i need to restore fertility, but some days this excess is from roots/tubers/fruit and others it is from butter/yolks/tallow/coconut oil/cheese.... i handle BOTH situations perfectly now. no insulin spike, no hypo, no postpraindal crash or stress response via raised glucose....

i think the key to fixing insulin resistance is a highly saturated fat diet, however, the key to it's regulation once your fat stores are minimized, is based on your reintroduction of carbs (PRIMAL NOT DOUGH and stuff lol) and finding out which ones you personally tolerate best

also agree with racing snake that overconsumption(more than the body needs) of saturated fat(like these fat shots people take) causes a physiological(not physical) insulin resistance which in turn screws with your cortisol balance and thus glucose levels. maybe not immediately as people like to say that fat is a benign substance in relation to glucose levels, but there are many long time low carbers who have higher-than-they-should-be fasting levels.

so, i would fix insulin problems with a keto diet, but i would not stay on a keto diet once your repaired.
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X