Any decent UK orientated cookbooks ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any decent UK orientated cookbooks ?

I'm tempted to get the primal cookbook but I fear the recipes will be too advanced for me as I am a really bad cook. The best I can manage these days is a chicken stirfry and that's where my imagination ends. I'll probably buy the primal one at some point but right now I'm looking for a primal-esqe low carb cook book for beginners which is aimed at the UK market.

If there is such a thing please post the links below.

Thanks,
    Marcus

www.PaleoCookBook.com

Comment

Don't be afraid of the primal blueprint cookbook. I think it's perfect for novice cooks...Lord knows I am one! None of the recipes in the book are intimidating or too complicated.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
        Don't be afraid of the primal blueprint cookbook. I think it's perfect for novice cooks...Lord knows I am one! None of the recipes in the book are intimidating or too complicated.
        What about the ingredients ?, are some of them harder to source as the book seems to be aimed at the US market.

Comment

"What about the ingredients ?, are some of them harder to source as the book seems to be aimed at the US market."

?? pretty much all of the ingredients you can get here. Some of them need translating i.e. cilantro = coriander etc. The MDA free book is pretty good as are the recipes in Robb Wolf's book. ATEOTD it's nearly all meat and veggies

Comment

Hi Marcus,

As a UKer I get what you mean about US cookbooks. Most of the ingredients will be the same albeit with slightly different translations, but the more difficult bit comes from translating the measurement, e.g. sticks of butter or cups. If you aren't a confident cook, this can be awkward.

I'd recommend this, it isn't palaeo, but is very close and many of the recipes are really quick and simple, and are also really tasty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-High-Pro..._bxgy_b_text_b

Comment

you might also want to have a look at this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neris-Indias...89151&sr=8-1#_

Again it's not specifically paleo but it is low carb and would need very little tweaking.

Comment

Also many of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's books are pretty paleo - just ignore the beans / flour etc. I've started eating potatoes again occasionally and they make many recipes easier!

(I've found that potatoes once or twice a week help tremendously with the digestion issues I've had in the year since I started eating "primal / paleo")

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've initially purchased The New High Protein Diet Cookbook which was Dender's suggestion and will be purchasing the rest in due course.

Cheers

Comment

You can buy "cups" over here now. I bought a set in Home Bargains!

Comment

Hi Mug2k, I've just checked my own copy, and it looks like many of the recipes are straight primal and shouldn't need any altering at all, those that do will have only the occasional tablespoon of flour or a potato that can be removed. I hope it gives you some ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Dender View Post
                        Hi Mug2k, I've just checked my own copy, and it looks like many of the recipes are straight primal and shouldn't need any altering at all, those that do will have only the occasional tablespoon of flour or a potato that can be removed. I hope it gives you some ideas
                        I got the book and am very impressed with the range of recipes.

The author of the book seems to think its ok to have some flour based carbs in the morning provided you don't overdo it. Breakfast is a big problem for me as all I seem to eat is variations of eggs. Either scrambled with piece of white fish or an omelette usually with bacon and possibly onions and tomato. The idea of crepes is very appealing to me as is cheese on toast, I'm guessing if I have any of those last 2 options my breakfast will cease to be paleo ?.

Comment

Working...
                        X