Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocolate is my carb of choice...how much is OK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate is my carb of choice...how much is OK?

Does it matter where I get my 60-70 gm/day?

I don't like fruit very much--makes me bloat (except for berries in season.) I don't like starchy veg much either. I have about 1 glass of wine a month. I do eat dairy, but mostly goat's kefir, butter and raw goat's cheese.

Normally, I would eat 2 sq of 70% dark chocolate per day which has 10 gm of carbs...and in the past 2 days, I've noticed I am wanting double that amount. I almost always eat my chocolate right after a meal, to slow absorption and avoid a big spike of insulin.

My chocolate is organic and has organic cane juice as the sweetener, FWIW.

Thoughts?
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Have non-starchy veg. You are bloating because you are eating sugary/starchy carbs. Chocolate is a once-a-week thing, tops.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I eat a little everyday....but i also eat lots of vegies and fruit

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
        Chocolate is a once-a-week thing, tops.
        Unless you get closer to 100%.
        The unsweetened chocolate is a near-daily feature of my diet.

Comment

You are bloating because you are eating sugary/starchy carbs.
          Griff--You misread my post. I only bloat when I eat fruit.

I eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables--broccoli, cabbage, spinach, chard, mostly.

My understanding is sugar is sugar is sugar--so what difference does it make if I get my sugar from chocolate or from a sweet potato, as long as I eat it with plenty of fat?

Comment

You can sub chocolate for fruit. Just eat 80-100% and take a multivitamin.

Comment

You can sub chocolate for fruit. Just eat 80-100% and take a multivitamin.
              I already supplement sufficiently, so I'm good there.
              Lojasmo--Is this from your personal experience or some research? I'm curious!

Comment

sugar is sugar, yes, but sugar is not starch. The carbs from a sweet potato will be mostly glucose, not sucrose/fructose.
                I try to get the majority of my carbs from starch, with little sugar. Also, try getting at least 85 percent chocolate, 70 percent isn't very dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  I already supplement sufficiently, so I'm good there.
                  Lojasmo--Is this from your personal experience or some research? I'm curious!
                  Carbs are carbs, minus lectins and such. Dark chocolate is low carb, and fats are desirable. Chocolate is high in antioxidants, so the only thing missing are micronutrients in. Fruit. No real data, nor personal experience. (though I do not eat fruit in the winter)

Just makes sense. Dark chocolate is allowed, and fruits are optional. Just don't drink a can of hershey's syrup.

Comment

The carbs from a sweet potato will be mostly glucose, not sucrose/fructose.
                    True. Sweet potatoes also are good at helping regulate blood sugar, among other things! Fortunately, I actually do like sweet potatoes, just not crazy about squash, turnips, cooked carrots, etc...

Mmmm...just read that fructose can make some people bloat...guess that's me!

Just makes sense. Dark chocolate is allowed, and fruits are optional. Just don't drink a can of hershey's syrup.
                    No worries there! After testing, I think I actually feel best eating 3 squares instead of 2- spread out over the day-about 8 grams of sugar. Darker chocolates just don't float my boat and I am intending to eat what my body wants. My intense sugar cravings disappeared the first week, so as long as they don't come back, I will carry on...

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Comment

Griff, just out of curiosity, why is chocolate something that happens once a week tops? i eat around one or two 3 oz bars spread out through the week (though they are 85%). granted, i'm not really here for weight loss, though i'm not gaining either.
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                        Griff, just out of curiosity, why is chocolate something that happens once a week tops? i eat around one or two 3 oz bars spread out through the week (though they are 85%). granted, i'm not really here for weight loss, though i'm not gaining either.
                        I'm also awaiting Griff's reply. I can only assume he meant that he prefers to limit chocolate consumption (what quantity, and what kind of chocolate?) to once a week because that's what works for him.

As a counter point, I eat lots of dark chocolate and have noticed no ill effects. By lots I mean that until a couple weeks ago, for a period of about 3 months, I was averaging somewhere around 6-8 squares (1.5-2 servings, approx. 2-3 oz) of 90% dark chocolate per day. By no ill effects I mean that I felt fine, and my blood lipid results at the end of this period were fantastic (HDL 84, calculated LDL 119, Trig 27). Of course 2 oz of my 90% dark chocolate only has 6g of sugar, and I would never expect 6 grams of sugar spread out over the course of a day to have any impact on my health, period.

FWIW I've since reduced my intake to 3-4 squares (up to 1.4 oz) per day. Mainly because I started craving chocolate after every meal, and I wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't addicted. But also because a nearly-1-Lindt-bar-per-day habit gets expensive.
                        Last edited by The Big L; 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I actually had a think after re-reading the thread and picked up some 85% Green & Black's at the food coop, just to see if my taste has changed. I did notice that my 54% was too sweet after going Primal and moved up to the 70%, but I actually hadn't tried the 85% recently!

Chocolate once a week? The thought was so horrible I just skipped over that part of Griff's post, LOL!

Comment

If I remember correctly, Griff is lower carb than many here. I think that if you were shooting for his carb levels, you probably would want to use chocolate very sparingly to be able to use those carbs for vegetables.

At my carb levels, I do have some extra grams to play around with after I get in all my veggies, so I sometimes put away a serious amount of the 85% cocoa Green & Black's if I'm not eating too much fruit. And anyway, I take my inspiration from the world's longest lived woman, Jeanne Louise Calment, who ate 2 lbs of chocolate a week until her doctor convinced her to give it up at age 119
                            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Your fine, just keep it under control..................and organic cane juice, means squat. It only helps sell products with sugar to the uninformed who think organic, when it comes to sugar, is healthier.
                              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X